Just Dropped My Vfr

RogueWave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If some guy in India can put a motorcycle on his head, climb a ladder and put the bike on top of a train, the VFR 1200 can be lifted. My 145 pound wife has picked her VFR 1200 up when she dropped it on slow turn at a filling station.

If some guy in India can put a motorcycle on his head, climb a ladder and put the bike on top of a train, the VFR 1200 can be lifted. My 145 pound wife has picked her VFR 1200 up when she dropped it on slow turn at a filling station.

Guy is a total gear head.

• Member Contributer

Yes that guy!

I dropped my '03 ten years ago, first and only time I have actually dropped a bike. Finished a 600 mile day, pulled into my garage, and stood the bike straight up while swinging my somewhat cramped-up right leg over the tail. Bike flopped hard right onto the right side. Bent brake lever, broke off the righthand mirror, scratched the clutch cover, and slammed the right mid cowl so hard into the gas tank, it collapsed its stay, and left a deep crease in the tank (with paint popping off).

Incredible amount of damage for a tiny bit of inattention, but a good lesson.

Ended up replacing tank, RS mid fairing, and mirror.

• Member Contributer

Dropped my old FZ1 (a few bikes back) when for some unknown reason I did not put the kickstand down while I was still on the bike outside a coffe house in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Had just gotten back into riding and had no real gear beyond jacket, gloves and helmet - had a tail bag with bungie string and hiking boots with tabs for tying shoe laces... Tab got caught on bungee string when I swung my leg over, and I gently laid the bike down on its side... on my leg.

Some idiot was standing right there - "Need a hand?"

"What do you think?!?!?!?" Riding buddies had it off me and standing in a moment...

Happens to us all.

-Dan

• Member Contributer

BE GRATEFUL!!!

If you drop a Moto Guzzi Le Mans, you break/bend a sparkplug. Only then you buy a cilinder head guard for the next drop that never came.... :-)

Well, here it is in all it's naked glory. Someone from a local bike shop helped me lift it. You can see the damage to the fairing and the mirror.

I can't believe how fast this thing went down. I did not lean far left before it became uncontrollable. It's really top heavy. I am returning to motorcycling after 12 years off. I am very uncertain that this is a good bike to start with.

post-31678-0-45855000-1428711390.jpg

post-31678-0-38622800-1428711398.jpg

post-31678-0-04535800-1428711407.jpg

post-31678-0-36835300-1428711413.jpg

I've dropped my R1 2x, once it fell off of the shitty universal race stands I bought (rocked forward when I had it on just the rear stand) within 2 weeks of buying it and a second time when I stopped alongside the highway to readjust my soft saddlebags, and for some reason when I went to see if anything was coming before I pulled out, I looked over my right shoulder instead of left... Lost my balance, bike fell over and broke the RH rearset.

I rode 4 hours home minus a footpeg :P

tried using jb weld to fix it, lasted about 5 minutes :P

CameraZOOM-20130727124914413_800_wz_50px

Hope you are alright it really sucks when things like this happen. Many years ago I just bought a Z1R Kawasaki and was riding really fast on curvy road and then pulled into a 7-11. As I was taking my Helmet off a cop car came and parked next to me. Thinking if they saw me riding earlier, acted kool getting off my bike. the bike hit the ground making the cops day, I had not put the kickstand down. No ticket but a damaged new bike.

• Member Contributer

Although it sucks, the damage could have been a lot worse. I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the bike as too heavy or unbalanced. Given the same situation with the side stand up it probably would have happened with most any bike. Unless you want something 500cc or smaller, they're going to be a chore to get upright. As you get more used to it, eventually handling it will become second nature. Hopefully your ankle / leg will be fine and you'll have a good summer of riding.

I don't remember what my 92 Nighthawk weighed, but I'll tell you it was harder to pick it up than the 1200 when I slid out on grass clippings once. Don't beat yourself and don't make any hasty decisions.

Well, here it is in all it's naked glory. Someone from a local bike shop helped me lift it. You can see the damage to the fairing and the mirror.

I can't believe how fast this thing went down. I did not lean far left before it became uncontrollable. It's really top heavy. I am returning to motorcycling after 12 years off. I am very uncertain that this is a good bike to start with.

This goes down exactly so fast as any other motorcycle above 200 kilos...concurs, fjr... they are even heavier. The problem with VFR1200 is the chassis is so well balanced and the bike so well

designed you don't feel its actual weight - its easy to forget that is a heavy weight.

Now change those tighty whities, forget the thing, replace 2-3 parts and ride again cuz sommer is almost here.

• Member Contributer

Dropped my 5th Gen within 30 minutes of buying it! Rode from the dealers to home, rode short distance along the narrow pavement to use key pad to open barrier. Forgot she had panniers on and caught a telegraph pole on the offside. Bike went down half on pavement and half on the road. Pavement is 9" deep so she was lower than on a flat road. Picked her up but my back knew about it for the next few days.

:wacko::wacko: I have dropped every single bike I've owned at least once... and thrown a few of them down the road as well... and into guardrails... down hillsides... into ditches... at the racetrack... on road... off road... stopped at a standstill... even received applause from a whole parking lot full of people once. It sucks. Life goes on.

The VFR800 is a heifer... VFR = Very Fat Ride!! The VFR1200F is a Veefalo!!

The worst thing about it is it would seem Mother Honda designed these things to break the greatest number of parts when getting it horizontal. Mirror, bar ends, brake or gear lever, clutch or brake lever, clutch cover, side cowling, rear cowling, even once the Givi windshield on my 5th gen snapped once when, running late for work, I pulled into the parking space, got off the bike and rushed toward the staff entry... forgot to put the stand down.

:wacko:

Laid my KLR down in deep sand ...on the Dawson City trip a few years ago..so I was loaded with everything for a month on the road...tall bike the KLR and packing an extra 100 lbs, so had to remove the saddlebags, and gear cinched down on the cargo rack to get the "backwards attack" lift .... did a low speed/no speed lay down making a "U ie" on a little back road on Vancvr Isle while touring on the VFR ..same gig..loaded for a month of travel, bags full and cargo on the seat...but the Veefer came up pretty easy with the load on it...lower CG on the VFR ..lucky that the only damage sustained was a scratch on the hard shell of the right side bag ...nicely covered now with a Glacier Park Montana sticker...

I don't care who you are or where it happens, but those crazy brainfart bike drops are just plain embaracing ... gawd it feel good to make these confessions !! now ya know

• Member Contributer

Is mine the only one that leaks gas when it falls over?

Archived