Just Dropped My Vfr

RogueWave

• Member Contributer

It kind of depends on how much fuel is in the tank, there is a vapor vent tube that ends near the top of the tank that will allow fuel out if the tank is flipped or turned over when the tank is full/nearly full.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I forgot - got pulled over once on my old Tuono on a back road in Michigan. Saw a sand and gravel driveway ahead, pulled into the driveway. The part I pulled into was all fresh sand, front wheel buried itself and I slowly fell to the side in the sand. No damage, just my pride. Officer still gave me a ticket... he was also a very nice guy. Point is, happens.

Glad the injuries were limited to a sprained ankle and the damage to the bike seems minimal.

Maybe not the perfect bike for getting back into riding after a long hiatus, but should be fine so long as you treat it with respect. Heal up and get riding!

-DAn

Dropped mine in the drive way on the right side. Picked it back up with the help of the wife and relieve to find no damage, I put it on the side stand pointing down the slope of the driveway. I forgot I had it in neutral and it promptly rolled off the side stand onto the left side bending the clutch lever. Needless to say, I drove the car to work that day. Only thing I got hurt was my pride.

A guy a work bought a brand new bike and dropped in within a week. Happens to everyone. Get healed soon!

This thread has a jinx attached. It should be closed! I dropped mine for the second time yesterday at the Dairy Queen. The worst thing is that I don't know quite how it happened. I had pulled forward and was backing into a parking spot and all of a sudden it's tipping. It was at the point of no return by the time I realized it was going over. Could I have caught my pantleg on the foot peg? Forgot my kickstand? Had to ride one hundred miles home with half a clutch lever and no gearshift lever to speak of. Just some very superficial abrasions on the silver plastic behind the fairing, and my bar end and the mirror. The very slight scratch on the fairing will be covered next week when I wrap the whole bike. Oh, and my son and a friend were riding with us and they lifted it up. (More about that in a second.)

This is the second drop for this bike and I don't have quite 7000 miles on it yet. The first time I was in Colorado turning left onto a strange boulevard, realized too late that I was turning short of the median and tried to correct too quickly, grabbed the brake and over I go. I was still pretty new to the VFR at that point and wasn't used to the way my elbows would hit the tank. That time, there was no one on the road and I tried my best to lift that puppy to no avail. Luckily, a car came along and another gal who was also a rider helped me lift it. With two of us, it wasn't too bad. I was just sick about that fall because the bike was brand spanking new. But insurance took care of it. This time the damage wasn't as bad if you don't count the two levers will are costing me $94.

This bike is more top heavy. The cycle I had before this was the Suzuki Bandit 1200S. Now, that one had been dropped maybe twice and I picked it up both times. Wasn't easy, and one time my back was out of sorts for a while afterward. I've seen videos of little women picking up big cruisers, but really, those are bottom heavy and easier. And my husband's Goldwing has highway pegs and if it was going over, it had those to keep it from going completely over. But the way they show them lifting bikes, by turning your back to them and lifting from a squat makes a lot of sense. But you still have to have enough of the bike high enough so that you can squat LOW enough to get under it. And what if you give a good heave and it goes over the other way?

I guess if it happens again, I'm going to look for that guy's 115 lb wife to come help me!

• Member Contributer

My cat's name is Jinx, how about if I post a pic of him for good luck? :cool: Now this thread has a Jinx attached :unsure:

This thread has a jinx attached.

Here kitty kitty chaingun.gifchaingun.gifchaingun.gif

You know, sometimes keeping your bike perfectly maintained could also get you in trouble. Few years back, I was riding a C14 and had just washed it and lubed the moving parts... including the sidestand joint. Next morning I walked the C14 out of the garage ready for the morning ride. I kicked the side stand down and my lube job was so slick the darn thing bounced back folded! I see this, but it didn't register in my brain quick enough to keep me from instinctively relaxing bike's weight toward the left. Let me tell you... 700 lbs lean over a few degrees is still A LOT of weight! I fought that beast with all my might and just.... managed to push it up back right again.

Since then, I kick the side stand down and always MAKE SURE IT STAYS DOWN, before lean the bike over.

• Member Contributer

You know, sometimes keeping your bike perfectly maintained could also get you in trouble. Few years back, I was riding a C14 and had just washed it and lubed the moving parts... including the sidestand joint. Next morning I walked the C14 out of the garage ready for the morning ride. I kicked the side stand down and my lube job was so slick the darn thing bounced back folded! I see this, but it didn't register in my brain quick enough to keep me from instinctively relaxing bike's weight toward the left. Let me tell you... 700 lbs lean over a few degrees is still A LOT of weight! I fought that beast with all my might and just.... managed to push it up back right again.

Since then, I kick the side stand down and always MAKE SURE IT STAYS DOWN, before lean the bike over.

Had this or something very similar happen to me on the 599. Was stopped to open my garage and I gave the kickstand a quick kick down and heard it hit the front stop. Well either it didn't make it all the way there or it bounced back a little. Was letting it down and felt the kickstand touch, but wasn't watching it. Anyway it started to fold back up as I let it go and the bike started to go over. That bike is circa 400lbs and it was far more difficult to stop from going over than I would have thought. I managed to save it also, but at the expense of a sprained left ankle and knee as that leg was folded awkwardly under the falling bike, since I was still straddling it as it was falling. Needless to say, now I often keep my foot holding the kickstand forward whenever I let my bikes down.

• Member Contributer

Had this or something very similar happen to me on the 599. Was stopped to open my garage and I gave the kickstand a quick kick down and heard it hit the front stop. Well either it didn't make it all the way there or it bounced back a little. Was letting it down and felt the kickstand touch, but wasn't watching it. Anyway it started to fold back up as I let it go and the bike started to go over. That bike is circa 400lbs and it was far more difficult to stop from going over than I would have thought. I managed to save it also, but at the expense of a sprained left ankle and knee as that leg was folded awkwardly under the falling bike, since I was still straddling it as it was falling. Needless to say, now I often keep my foot holding the kickstand forward whenever I let my bikes down.

As above!

• Member Contributer

Even with the R&G frame sliders, the bubble at the bottom of the right cowl on my 6th gen still ended up scratched...both times from standing falls. D'OH!!!

• Member Contributer

My hugely expensive R&G sliders saved mine when I dropped it on the left side at the track last year. :blush: Haven't put the right side to the test...yet. :huh: So as Sarah Palin would say...I'll have to get back cha on that one. lol :goofy:

i only use the side stand to steady the bike while i get off of it and get ready to put it on center stand....rarely does it ever sit on the side stand

Archived