Grips

jerritt

Question

22 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I've got the Pro-Grip 719 on all three of my bikes. I like them. I color matched the VFR grips, put the red ones on the '01 and the black ones on the '09. Duc got the black ones too.

I went with the oxford heated grips myself. (Didn't wait for my original grips to run out though ;) )

Wasn't sure whether it was really going to be worth it - but after using them a few times - it was really worth it.

For me the Oxfords are the single best thing I've ever done to a bike. Except I didn't do it (it came with them.) Makes me wonder how I didn't have a set on my bikes when I lived back East and rode all winter in my regular leather gloves (with per'fed leather between the fingers) and cheap army liners. Lo, how I suffered needlessly!

I would love to install heated grips on my 6th gen. It's an irrational fear, I know, but ever since my stator fried a few years ago I've worried about installing any electrical mods at all.

Plus even at almost 79k miles, my original grips are still OK. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Tim I thought heated grips were for weenies until I purchased the 5th Gen from Earthshake a few years ago.

I rode it home in March with a busted collarbone and as part of the check list on the ride I flipped the switch for the grips. It was 68 degrees and I was heading towards Athens on a two lane road from the Greenville area...that is the day I knew I woudl never be without heated grips again.

While your stator fried, heated grips do help with the excess voltage that our reg/recs have trouble with.

If you are worried about it maybe you can do some carbon offsetting of sorts by replacing your lights with LEDs...that should drop the draw enough for heated grip usage but could increase the work of the reg/rec.

Tim I thought heated grips were for weenies until I purchased the 5th Gen from Earthshake a few years ago.

I rode it home in March with a busted collarbone and as part of the check list on the ride I flipped the switch for the grips. It was 68 degrees and I was heading towards Athens on a two lane road from the Greenville area...that is the day I knew I woudl never be without heated grips again.

While your stator fried, heated grips do help with the excess voltage that our reg/recs have trouble with.

If you are worried about it maybe you can do some carbon offsetting of sorts by replacing your lights with LEDs...that should drop the draw enough for heated grip usage but could increase the work of the reg/rec.

Thanks, Carver. I've actually heard that before -- that having the warmers HELPS the electrical system instead of putting it at more risk. If I were to go with heated grips I might also want to finally install a voltmeter.

BTW, my stator fried at 58k miles, so it might have been "due" as it's not unusual for them to go around 60k.

• Member Contributer

I went with the OEM ST1300 heated grips. They are a little longer and slightly thicker than the VFR grips, so I made a custom spacer out of PVC pipe that fits inside the overhanging part of the grip and over the new bar ends included in the kit. Had to space the bar ends out some and use a longer bar end bolt too. Came out great! They are hard to find and are pricey. There is a kit on ebay now for $225. (I paid less than $100.)

med_gallery_12973_6911_113739.jpg

• Member Contributer

53165-KT8-710 ® (Right) edit: If you put a capital R in parenthesis it becomes a ®

On a Windoze computer, just hit CTRL + Z and it will undo the auto-edit.

• Member Contributer

Best grip I found is Spider Grips...

Spider Grips feature durable variable density elastomers, patent
pending shaped boundary layers with isolated secondary layers, energy
dispersing flanges, and a multi-faceted geometric surface area. Spider
Grips are manufactured in Taiwan and distributed by Pit Bull.

Ride with Spider Grips and you'll feel less vibration, which in turn
means less fatigue. You can give up the death grip hold, so you won't
get arm pump and you'll be able to ride longer. Special grip material
works great, even when wet.

Sold at Pit Bull...
http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBMSA&Product_Code=F0055-000&Category_Code=spidergrips

SLT-Group.jpg

gallery_3131_51_7998.jpg

The BLS method of removing grips without destroying them...

1)slip a rat tail comb under the grip...

2)trickle alcohol down the length of the gap created by the comb...

3)remove comb and twist the grip to work the alcohol in between grip
and throttle barrel...

gallery_3131_51_940.jpg

• Member Contributer

Been running heated grips/gear on my 5th gen for 5 years, and 60K miles with no problems. I will never be cold at speed again.

Heated gloves beat grips hands down (no pun) when it's truly cold, but it's nice to be able to crank the "no chill" knob when it gets a bit too cold for the warm weather gloves. Better than sticking your hands into the radiator vents.....

• Member Contributer

The BLS method of removing grips without destroying them...

1)slip a rat tail comb under the grip...

2)trickle alcohol down the length of the gap created by the comb...

3)remove comb and twist the grip to work the alcohol in between grip

and throttle barrel...

gallery_3131_51_940.jpg

THIS WORKS GREAT!!!! I used a screwdriver.

• Member Contributer

I just razor them off.... just as fast and then you can put on the new.......

Archived