Potential Re-Release Of Two Brothers Racing Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Where did you source larger exhaust gaskets? Stock off the shelf Honda for another bike?

Delkevic on ebay, thanks to Gig off this forum.

• Member Contributer

Getting really close to giving up and going for a cheap set of Motad's.... This wait fucking sucks...

pity you are in USA, I'll have a set for sale next week !

Motads are better for the Y2K onwards VFR's, as they are based on 98/99 pipe sizes, so 2mm larger diameter than the late 5th & all 6th/8th gen with NO CAT, so do give about 4hp more than stock, add a freer flowing end can & add another 2hp. Mine standard apart from K&N filter, Motad headers & PC3 custom made 102hp.

• Member Contributer

Where did you source larger exhaust gaskets? Stock off the shelf Honda for another bike?

Delkevic on ebay, thanks to Gig off this forum.

Do you have more details? Are they for the VFR800 or another model?

• Member Contributer

All exhaust gaskets are for any model, well at least the copper doughnuts, They are round & fit in a round hole, they compress to seal any alignment issues between the head & the the header. So as long as they fit in the exhaust port they will work. I used 42mm but they won't fit straight into some ports as Gig found out, so he sourced 41mm ones which do fit all ports on his heads.

Point is they won't intrude into the exhaust port with a TBR header, due to its narrower sealing area. I'll take some pics & post the difference.

post-24524-0-72435600-1425023518.jpg

OK so with my scrawl I should have been a doctor :)

So the TBR has a 2mm bearing flange which only just fits in the head port opening. So it will only compress the outer half of the gasket, where as the Motad has a 4mm flange which as you can see compresses the whole gasket which forces it to intrude into the exhaust port, thus reducing flow area.

So I guess the best you could do with a Motad, would be to remove it, then grind out the excess weld where the flange is welded to the header to open it to the full 32mm bore. Then use custom or larger gaskets to ensure they don't intrude into the port area.

You could always try what CandyRed did & either run metal on metal, or be careful with some exhaust gasket sealant. Just remember that vibrations may wear the alloy head port by the steel header & excess sealant that may intrude into port could break off once set & get sucked into the cylinder causing damage.

The copper gaskets are there because it expands quickly on startup & seals any tiny gaps, it also protects against vibration damage.

Have fun.

• Member Contributer

Not using the copper gasket is what I meant back early in this thread when I suggested that the headers should have stubs that fit to the head and then slip fit the headers over the stubs.

Same as Yoshi and many other systems.

Then you don't need to worry about the gasket, just seal the stub/head face and tighten the nuts.

Like these

post-25941-0-73054800-1425029285.jpg

• Member Contributer

Recently removing my TBR header it looked plain to me that a couple were leaking around the OEM '99 gaskets. I tried to be a little more careful on re-install but think I still have some leaking at the head. Those TBR flanges are fairly thin and flexible too. Any suggestions?

Like before, if you spend time on the install getting everything slowing aligned then slowly torqued and aligned and torqued and so on, you can get it leak free with out gaskets. Race exhausts and race teams etc don't use gaskets, you just need to spend extra time on the install.

• Member Contributer

All exhaust gaskets are for any model, well at least the copper doughnuts, They are round & fit in a round hole, they compress to seal any alignment issues between the head & the the header. So as long as they fit in the exhaust port they will work. I used 42mm but they won't fit straight into some ports as Gig found out, so he sourced 41mm ones which do fit all ports on his heads...

The copper gaskets are there because it expands quickly on startup & seals any tiny gaps, it also protects against vibration damage.

Have fun.

Where did you source the 41mm gaskets? I looked on eBay for Delkevic gaskets but couldn't find any... Earlier, I inquired if they were for a specific model to make it easier to try and track down a set.

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

OK, so just finished fitting the TBR headers and decided to measure everything & take some pics for comparison.

Motad - V - TBR

headers lengths

1 35" - 35"

2 29" - 26.5"

3 25.5" - 27.5"

4 28" - 26.5"

2 x 2-1 Joins

4" - 2.5"

Gap to final 2-1

4" - 2.25"

2-1 Final

4" - 3.5"

Tail pipe

4.5" - 7.5"

Pics for comparison.

post-24524-0-79720100-1425160794.jpg

post-24524-0-99555600-1425160813.jpg

You can see the wideband O2 bung I had welded on this morning.

I started it briefly with the new exhaust on & it immediately sounds deeper :)

Enjoy

• Member Contributer

Nice!!! I'm very jealous...

Thanks for taking the time to capture the data and sharing with the group... :fing02::beer:

• Member Contributer

Also forgot to mention that the TBR headers save just over a kilo of weight from the thinner wall section.

• Member Contributer

2 weeks until I reach back out to Tyga... the Ides of March approacheth...

Hopefully, this time it bodes well...

• Member Contributer

Hi again

My point with suggesting we get stubs fitted to the headers was to allow easier fitting without the gaskets.

Most of the high end pipes that race teams use are fitted with stubs so as you can remove the system without disturbing the connection to the heads.

This is how they can change a system so fast.

If we are getting the system made, and Tyga make systems with stubs, why not get them to at least quote on a system with them and without them.

Anything that assists in making fitting the pipes to a V4 easier is well worth it.

Especially when you can seal the whole shooting match up and not need to use a gasket that invariably sit partially in the gas flow.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

I see your point. If Tyga already makes systems using this method, then they certainly can do it again. However, none of the previous aftermarket headers for the VFR did (?), so the customer base might not appreciate it as much as you or I would. Maybe they'll do it as an option? It's worth asking the question, I think.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It was presented to Tyga as a feature or requested potential option initially. I'll reintroduce it to them in the upcoming talks... as a reminder, they are looking at moving resources towards production of VFR800 performance parts and want to "test the waters", so to speak, to see if there is enough interest to warrant their diverting resources from other proven endeavors & projects.

Archived