Where To Put A Helmet

landlover

• Member Contributer

On the ground! When your helmet is not on your head, put it on the ground! Have had two helmets and both of them have fallen, each time the visor was knocked out of alignment and the wind noise is deafening. I wear ear plugs and it is still so loud. Now I have to send it in to be adjusted and am on vacation this week. Am not happy about this one bit! Save yourself some grief and put your helmet on the ground when it is not on your head! Dirt can be wiped off the bottom!! Thanks for listening and hope it does not happen to you!!!!!

It's not hard to Re-Adjust the face shield, just pop it off and look at the screws(usually two) that hold each side plate to the helmet.

It can be done on most helmets w/o tools as long as you have a coin in your pocket. :beer:

BR

• Member Contributer

I carry a short length of nylon backpacker's strap with a quick release buckle in my tankbag. When the helmet's off, the strap goes through the chin guard then gets clipped around the grab handles, harbag mounts, etc. My favorite is when I have the topcase mounted - the mounting rack for it works great. The helmet stays put every time.

• Member Contributer

It's not hard to Re-Adjust the face shield, just pop it off and look at the screws(usually two) that hold each side plate to the helmet.

It can be done on most helmets w/o tools as long as you have a coin in your pocket. :beer:

BR

Thank You :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I carry a short length of nylon backpacker's strap with a quick release buckle in my tankbag. When the helmet's off, the strap goes through the chin guard then gets clipped around the grab handles, harbag mounts, etc. My favorite is when I have the topcase mounted - the mounting rack for it works great. The helmet stays put every time.

Good idea ...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input, for a short stop that I will be around, can't think of a better place, even if it's windy behind one of the wheels. Bugs is the only thing but maybe a quick look. Mainly posted this so hopefully it does not happen to someone else.

• Member Contributer

How about between the handle bars over the ignition. Even better when a tank bag is used to wedge behind.

Ditto. Never the mirror. Snug in the center.

• Member Contributer

I set mine on the seat, but it is a modular helmet and when flipped open it is much more stable than a regular helmet. I've never had one

fall off yet. I've used the helmet lock for the wife's helmet because she is afraid someone will steal her helmet. As you know the helmet

lock on the 5th gen pretty much holds the helmet upside down. We were away from the bike when a sudden downpour put about 2" of

rain in her helmet. She wasn't too happy. :mad:

Guest Recalcitrance

Usually on my head. :mellow2:

Agreed on "never on the ground/mirrors." I put mine on the tank up toward the ignition. Never falls. Sits pretty snug.

• Member Contributer

You're not supposed to put it on the mirror because repeating this over and over again will supposedly eventually result in compacting the foam of the helmet which is the protective layer between the fabric and the shell. That being said, I have never found a better place to put it when running into a gas station etc. With that in mind, if you ever do put it on the mirror, don't be tempted to start your bike and "just move it around the corner" etc. BE WARNED, the helmet is non-compressible between the handlebars and the fairing or gas tank when trying to turn. Makes for an exciting mini-adventure and could result in a dumped bike. I speak from experience narrowly averting disaster. When I go in a store etc, it gets locked onto the helmet lock.

• Member Contributer

article-2486800-19300F5200000578-17_634x

Always make sure your helmet is in good hands......

• Member Contributer

dont you people realise the bike has A HELMET HOOK/LOCK???????? :blink:

Where ?????

ditto??? Had my 6th gen for 8+ years and still haven't found it.

I will either use the mirror (all the way on) or pillion peg when on a short fuel or rest stop.

A buddy of mine warned that some (less reputable; aka - dicks) harley riders are tempted to spit in them on the pillion when passing by, so close the visor.

I like the strap idea. I think about when off the bike for lunch or a vista stop, that should some sticky finger bastage walk by I'd be hooped,

so I'd like to figure some means of security without carrying a stretch of chain, extra bulky locks, etc.

The helmet hook/lock is under the seat on 6th gens. It's too much of a hassle for me to take the seat off every time, so I normally hang my helmet off the mirror with the mirror protruding through the open visor. It's pretty stable, but I did have my helmet fall off while pushing the bike off the center stand last week.

• Member Contributer

On the mirror or use the lock under seat if I won't be able to see the bike.

Some friends put theirs on the ground when we stopped for lunch one day and they were not impressed with the amount of red ants that claimed their helmets for a new home.

• Member Contributer

dont you people realise the bike has A HELMET HOOK/LOCK???????? :blink:

Yes and that is the safest place for it but it is time consuming. I have to get in the habit of using that! Thanks for posting that!

Archived