Leathers Psa

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

Recently attended a safety inspectors meeting, and learned something that you might want to know.

The service life for a set of leathers is about 5 years. Around this point, the leather itself is fine, but the thread becomes weak. This is especially true for suits that see a lot of sun and water.

Most racing organizations do not have an age limit on leathers, but this doesn't mean you leathers don't have an age limit.

I am not saying YOUR leathers are bad. But I do want you to be informed. This topic came up as one rider went down at 180+, and his suit tore apart at the seams.

Suggested options are to have your existing suit resewn, or to buy another one. Both options are not cheap.

• Member Contributer

My leather Aerostich Transit Suit survived one big crash and saved my body from significant further damage again a year later. It was destroyed when they had to cut the jacket off due to two broken arms. And (a tribute to Aerostich) they gave me a 15% crash discount on my replacement suit.

The best thing about the Transit is the TF5 armour. Soft and pliable in it's normal state, but the harder it is impacted, the harder it becomes, absorbing huge amounts of energy. Saved my knee from any damage while the leather over the knee was half way worn through last year. And I was told by the owner of Aerostich it was still good for another crash, which was true this year.

I just got off the phone with Aerostich and was told the life expectancy of an undamaged Transit Suit was TWENTY years!

Interesting...and timely as I'm looking at the Lionheart gear in the bargain finder section and they offer kevlar thread. Gimmick or worth it?

• Member Contributer

I've heard that Kevlar thread will cut through the leather...

What could kill leather the most is too much moisture/rain as it will drive out the natural oils from the leather and cause dry rot in the internal fibers and turn it pretty much into easy to tear cardboard....

• Member Contributer

Well I don't care how true this is but I'm using this to justify (to wife) a new custom 2 peice set from LionHeart. From what I have read in the Bargain Finder group buy deal you can contact the owner about his products like kevlar thread.

My leathers are 15yrs old and have seen more than a fer soakings and lots of sun. To their credit they still look very sound. PILOT makes a great set of leathers. Wonder how LionHeart compares?

Hmm. I'm hoping the 5 years is more of a salesmans type estimate.

Like, if your mattress is over 8, it's time to replace!

I like the 20 year estimate better. :wink:

I wonder if you might be able to tell by inspecting the seams real close.

Or test by grabbing hold of opposite sides of a seam and pulling hard. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

We didn't spend much time on specifics because there are so many different types of thread, leather, and construction techniques. And there is no limits within the rules, so it was more of a "For your information . . . " kinduva thing. Very general.

Leather can be rubbed down with oil and treated, the thread cannot. I would imagine Kevlar thread would last longer, but so much has to do with the treatment of the garment. If you race out at Willow Springs every month, pouring water all over your suit that you never clean to try and cool down while you stay in the sun, then yeah, I'd be more concerned about the stitching, regardless of how you treat the leather.

Mind you, my leathers are older than 5. I'm not saying they'll spontaneously combust after 1827 days (that's just over 5 years, including one leap year), but just something to pass along and something to consider/use as an excuse to buy new leathers.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Recently replaced my Dainese jacket due to terminal zipper failure. I had the main zip replaced a couple years ago, but when the lower zip went I called it quits. Not quite 5 years of nearly daily use, and 1 80MPH lowside. I think I got my money's worth.

• Member Contributer

Interesting...and timely as I'm looking at the Lionheart gear in the bargain finder section and they offer kevlar thread. Gimmick or worth it?

I would rethink that brand...Yoshi bought some boots and they just fell apart before even being used...

RS Taichi is good stuff...

Wrong. I bought the Komodo boots, and they weren't that great for the price premium they originally were compared to my TCXs. I bought them for the SO, and not really sure I want her wearing them.

No personal experience with the lionheart stuff.

Archived