Why Do You Own A Vfr?

marriedman

Reason you bought a VFR  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you buy your current VFR?

• Result of circumstance (price, availablilty, distance, etc ...)
    • Result of research (Reputation, capabilities, performance, etc ...)
    • Result of past experience (owned a VFR before, ridden one in the past, etc ...)

I was talking to one of my friends who rides about why we ride. He and I have so little in common it is surprising we are even friends. He got into riding for the social aspect of it. I got into because of the sense of freedom. He owns a Hayabusa because of the attention he gets, I bought a VFR because it "fit the bill" so to speak.

After I got back to my desk from talking with him, I started thinking more about why I chose the VFR. Looking back, I had never heard of a VFR until I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 4th gen decked out for touring. I had just started doing longer rides and was reading up on what riders commonly use (hard luggage, water bladders, and so on). The ad showed full luggage system, bar risers, touring shield... standard stuff now, but sounded hard core to me at the time.

I thought it kind of odd that a person would deck out a sport bike for touring, but I didn't give it much thought after the initial thought. I was looking to upgrade from my '92 Nighthawk 750 since I had been riding it for a year and knew what I liked about it and more importantly what I did not like. I liked the versatility of the bike. I could commute, ride spiritedly, and tour on it. I did not like the lack of wind deflection even with a windshield. I didn't like the lack of dedicated farkles since I do not like to do fabrication. Most importantly I did not like the buzziness of the engine.

So that is where I started looking, something other than an inline 4. I had been reading about characteristics of the different types of engines to help narrow my search. This was the first time I had heard of the V4. I4's power all come from high rev's, which is not where I spend a lot of time. V-twins are great for low end power and smoothness. V4's, as I read it, work well with low rev's and can work well with the high rev's too. Huh, how about that? Then I just did a search for the best all around bike, and the VFR just kept coming up over and over again.

So during three separate investigations the VFR came up. So I started looking into just the VFR. Low maintenance was important to me, and the few people that I talked to kept saying the 5th gen was what I wanted. So that is where I focused my attention. It was also during this time that I found VFRD. The Nighthawk forum has become very important to me as a community as well as a knowledge center. While VFRD is a bit more formal, I found it to be pretty close knit and willing to help. The first worthwhile VFR I found, YoshiHNS was willing to look at a bike for me- a complete stranger to a new to the forum! That clinched it that this was to be my forum and the type of people who ride VFR's are a lot like the people who ride Nighthawks. Mello Dude is also another member who has gone out of his way to help a relatively unknown person. I am glad to say that I did end up with a VFR and the madness as gripped me tightly. I enjoy the forum almost as much as I do the bike.

So there is my longwinded story about how and why I ended up with a VFR. Why did you guys buy one?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

When I decided to get back in to riding after a long layoff, my friend who at the time was riding a CBR900RR, told me "you should check out a VFR". I remember very clearly saying "a WHAT?" I was thinking RR style bike at the time. But after him prodding me for a bit I called an ad for a '95 model with 3,000 miles (then just 2 years old) which was totally stock. The guy was selling because he had bought it for his son and he didn't much care for riding. He started it up and rode it down the block and back. Hearing it I was instantly :wub: . I thought to myself "holy crap! - that thing sounds just like the '69 Z28 my friend used to have". As soon as he shut it off and could hear me I said "I'll take it". Later my friend told me "you should get a slip on for it". I also recall saying at the time "what for?" I can't say that I was the brightest bulb at the time . . . :rolleyes: But I did - got a 2Brothers high mount for it. It was like magic - I couldn't believe it. From then on I knew I didn't want any other bike. Wishing I'd kept the '95, but it was traded for the '99 which I still have, so no complaints. And the '99 still has the original 2Bros. can I bought way back when and it sounds just as good. How many bike owners go out to the garage when the weather's nasty in the winter, open the door and start their bike - just so they can listen to it?? Only a VFR owner would do that.

I got my '98 back in '99. I blame all those magazine articles calling it the best all around sport tourer.

Plus the look and sound. :beer:

About 5-6 years later, all my friends were getting newer liter bikes, so I got a CBR954 to scratch that itch.

I convinced myself and the spousal unit that since it was only worth $3,000 - $4,000, and liability insurance didn't cost much,

that it was worth more to me in use than to sell. And it has been!

Since then a DRZ400S came, then left after about a year and a half. Not quite 5 years ago the Tuono came to me, and I did not need the CBR anymore.

Still have the VFR and recently put on a top case and superbike bar. It's my reliable red horse.

The Tuono is my Italian Supermodel. :wub:

Or else it's an Ape, lol. I want to add a Duck to my menagerie. A Monster. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

After being initiated in early 90's when I bought an '82 V45 Sabre....should never have gotten rid of that one :mad:

\

then fast forward to 2006 gas prices going up, decided to get back into riding saw an ad for my '94, $3,300.00 21k on the clock I snapped her up and have been very happy over the 74k I've put on. The V4 has such a smooth power delivery, great for all day touring or carving the canyons, the bike is like my Mullet, Business up front, Party in the back :cool:

• Member Contributer

I worked at a dealer and got a great deal on a 86 vfr (the one honda shipped all over to show it off) and was looking to upgrade from my Rz 500 to something more refined , since then I have had several VFR 's that were traded in at dealer very slightly used and the rest is history . I really have liked the 5th gens the best but have ridden all gens sad to see a couple of them sold but always did great on resale and never lost money with any of them .

All great stories!

Hearing it I was instantly :wub: .

<snip>

How many bike owners go out to the garage when the weather's nasty in the winter, open the door and start their bike - just so they can listen to it?? Only a VFR owner would do that.

I remember the first time I heard a VFR in person as well. It was a 2002 and it was awe inspiring! I passed on it even though I thought it was a good deal, it wasn't what I really wanted which was the 5th gen.

I know it's not recommended, but I will fire up the bike just so I can hear it too!

After being initiated in early 90's when I bought an '82 V45 Sabre....should never have gotten rid of that one

I am a big fan of the UJM and the Sabre was a sexy beast. IT saddens me to see what they call the Sabre now. I never knew the Sabre was a V4 until I was learning about engine types. Hey, I just started learning this stuff!

I had read that vfrs were nice...but never really did any research. A local shop had one for sale, used, for a few months and something kept calling me back. My intuition was good and after I got it I did the research and found out what a gem I bought. 26k miles later and wouldn't change a thing!

I was originally looking for an '83 GL650 "Twisted Twin" but couldn't find one in good condition within 500 miles. I started looking at what was nearby, & ran across a REALLY nice V45 Sabre. They wanted what I thought was a too much for a 20+ year old bike. In researching the V4 engine, I came across the VFR & the rest is, as they say, history~

• Member Contributer

I'm on my 3rd one. 1985 VF700F, 1997 VFR750, 2007 VFR800ABS. They look incredibly fast, ergonomics are perfect for me for longer runs, they're not always puking oil/coolant, and I'm not the one at fault when we always have to stop mid ride because another critical part just vibrated loose. You can bag it up for touring or strip it back down and throw on the seat cowl and look like you're headed to the track.

I was originally looking for a Yamaha FJ1200 4 years ago. I had a $1,500.00 income tax cheque to spend on a bike. Couldn't find an FJ for that and came across my 1000F. Would only run with the choke on. Brought it home, went through it, and now I'm hooked on V-4 power. Short shift it, and use the torque, or rev it up and go. Handles better than a 600lb bike should. Awesome sport tourer

It's all my brother's fault.

When I was a little tyke of 4 years old, my brother bought a 1969 Kawasaki Bushmaster 90.

g3ss20bushmaster2090cc2.jpg

He used to take me for rides on it out in the empty fields, perched in front of him, against the tank.

He would drop me off and do doughnuts in the sand, and my eyes got as big as saucers, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Fast forward about 6 years and he taught me to ride that very Kawasaki 90. I was hooked.

Over the next 6 years, I rode anything and everything possible that I could borrow, riding like a maniac in the dirt, jumping and mud bogging, digging in the sand, riding trails, hillclimbing, anything at all to be rowing through the gears and hearing the engine rev out. I rode 125's, 250's and the odd 500.

When I turned 16, in 1981, I bought my first bike, a 1975 XL100. Identical to this one:

DSC00696.JPG

Rode the wheels off of it and it never let me down. I think this is what got me hooked on Hondas in general. The bike just did everything I asked of it, and never broke.

Back in 1981, there weren't really any sportbikes per se, and my head was full of CB400F Supersports, and RD350LC's and the like.

And then, THIS HAPPENED:

146_1006_01+2010_honda_vfr1200f_v4_histo

In the pages of Cycle Magazine. It was love at first sight. LIQUID COOLED, MONOSHOCK REAR SUSPENSION, PERIMETER FRAME, TRIPLE DISC BRAKES, V-4 ENGINE, SWOOPY BODYWORK, 83 HP, and on and on and on......

After turning 18, I had the money to buy a used one, and in 1984, for $3500, I picked up a 1 year old VF750, but in red. I added a pair of Yoshimura slipons, and rode it like I stole it. It sounded wonderful. The V-4 roar from the aftermarket exhaust, the quick steering, and the HORSEPOWER!

WAY too much bike for an 18 year old though, and it's a wonder I survived. 136 MPH top speed, don't ask me how I know.

I crashed it on both sides at different times, hurt myself, repainted the bike, etc.

And then THIS HAPPENED:

vfr750-g.jpg

Here we go again. ALUMINUM FRAME! 6 SPEEDS! CAM GEAR DRIVE! FULL FAIRINGS!! LIGHTER! FASTER! BETTER HANDLING!

Brand new, off the showroom floor in 1986, it was mine. For the next 14 years, I really didn't want for anything. Sure, the 1990 and 1994 VFRs were nice, but the RWB just screamed out HRC! to me, and after swapping on CBR600 F4i wheels, forks and brakes, shod with radial tires, I didn't want to ever let it go.

Never crashed that one though. Other than a zero MPH tipover........

And then, THIS HAPPENED:

1998-honda-vfr-800-interceptor-wallpaper

ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION, MORE DISPLACEMENT, DUAL HEADLIGHTS! SINGLE SIDED SWINGARM!

So in the dead of January 2000, I bought a 1999 VFR800 without a test ride, after only hearing it run inside the guys garage. $10,000 cash. Loved the sound of the geardrive cams, the Micron exhaust, and of course, it's a Honda, right?

Rode the heck out of it, crashed it, repainted it (sound familliar???)

And then THIS HAPPENED:

IMG_1066.jpg

And that's why I own a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Option 1 & 2

Started on a ZX600A back when the 5th gen was new. Couldn't afford a new bike. Eventually bought a slightly rashed GTS1000, and sold the ZX. Totalled the GTS, and used the insurance check to buy the VFR which was the bike I wanted all along anyway.

• Member Contributer

I discovered VFRs quite by accident. Honda had an annual - Honda Homecoming in Marysville, Ohio and I like to venture up there to test ride the new bikes. I think I was trying to get a ride on a F3 or something like that and all those were taken. This was summer 1994. But they had openings for a white VFR (3rd gen) and not a lot of people seemed interested. My take was - ok, free test ride so I signed up for ride on that bike, even though I had no interest in it at all. Well we head out following the Honda test ride leader, and I'm like --- OH MY GAWD! The thing just felt like a swiss watch, tightly put together, very willing response at any demand of throttle, and would lean however you felt like, and wasnt a rack at the ergonomics to boot. Just an amazing jewel of a motorcycle, something along the lines of an exotic. The engine had major soul to it.

Needless to say, this bike smacked me in the face. And I had/have riden lots of different bikes. Holy shit, I must buy a VFR. And that became the start of the dull drone in my brain on the way home to start saving and finding a VFR. I'm still a cheap bastard, so the price had to be right and probly gonna have to be used. I have always had MBS (multiple bike syndrome) so it wasnt urgent, but the radar was out, big time. Finally, near two years latter, I found a low mile '95, 4th gen at the right price. No regrets ever. For me, continuous VFRs must be in the garage, forever. (Although MBS still persists. :biggrin: )

• Member Contributer

I purchased my "current" (interpreted as "most recently purchased"--I don't sell my VFRs!) one in order to install an A&A Supercharger kit on it. Simple!

However, I think a better question would have been , "Why did you purchase your first VFR?" That involves a little story...

In mid-1989 I was doing a "European Tour" after graduating from university. Fairly typical, American middle-class achievement/reward sort of thing, except mine lasted over four months, and I did mine on a motorbike... During my travels, I believe it was in Madrid, Spain, but possibly Anglet in France, I met an English dude who was also "on tour". He was a schoolteacher, and he liked to spend his summers riding around Europe. I caught him on his way back to the UK (though he seemed to be taking the "scenic route"!) after he had ridden from Greece, along the Dalmatian coast through the then-Yugoslavia, and on to France/Spain. His bike was bedecked with a full set of old-style GiVi panniers (like Timmy's got) as well as a mountainously expanded tank bag, as well as full camping gear. The bike was a navy blue '87 VFR750FH.

post-362-0-64926800-1374563833.jpg

I'd previously had no idea that it was even possible to ride a "sportbike" long distances, but this guy (and his VFR) had conclusively proved that it was. I've always been a sucker for the "fighter/bomber/cargo plane" concept, so I was hooked! As soon as I got home and had saved enough money to buy a VFR, the '90 FL model was just about to be released, so I put my money down on the first one my local dealer could get his hands on.

post-362-0-68790200-1374564420.jpg

The rest, as they say, is history... :wink:

Ciao,

I really like the open rear wheel, so I went looking and researching for a Ducati. The lack of reliability had me stopped looking and by accident I saw a VFR 750. It was a Honda!!! It sounded like Lion!!! And I liked it!!! Thats how I got started. Bought one, my first bike, 7 years ago.

VFR 750 F

After riding it for a couple of years, I needed some more handling. My experience got better and began to drive faster. Thats where the VFR let me down. So I became a member of VFRD and found out that the R1 front conversion was a great mod, so I did it. Together with the rear shock. Wrecked it (the shock) within 1000km. A VFR is to heavy for a R1 shock :happy: . I sold my original one, so a new search began. Last week I bought a stock one, installed it and I'll be .... The handling was superior compared to my old shock. So there are two options; or the new old shock is reconditioned or my old old shock was broken. However after a 10 k ride I had 3 mm of no used rubber on the rear tire. So my Frankenviffer has become a little less Frankenviffer and more of a VFR.

So Far

She wont leave. Thats a promise.

And that's why I own a VFR.

Excellent write up! I swear your bike should be in a magazine as the centerfold.

However, I think a better question would have been , "Why did you purchase your first VFR?" That involves a little story...

<snip>

I'd previously had no idea that it was even possible to ride a "sportbike" long distances, but this guy (and his VFR) had conclusively proved that it was.

I had originally thought that would be the question, but I also wanted to capture the people that have decided to have a history of VFR ownership. Many times the first one is a result of circumstance and there is no personal connection to the bike. It's just their bike. Those are the people that join the forum, get some info, then sell the bike and leave the forum. The VFR is not a lifestyle choice for them. At least, that is my opinion.

I just can't imagine wanting another bike. Well, a different bike that is. I am not interested in dirt riding or off-road at all. For my needs the VFR is just so damn perfect. And the only bike that I would be willing to "move on" to would be the Anniversary Edition. Because we all know the RWB Hondas are the sexiest.

• Member Contributer

Why do I own a VFR??? Because I have the best wife ever!!!

When the VFR800 came out in 1998 I read everything I could about it and lusted after one. The magazines proclaimed it the “best all around” motorcycle. The “gentleman’s express”. The fit, finish, the engineering just appealed to me. It was competing with the Triumph Sprint ST and the Ducati ST2. I road all three but there was nothing that felt as “right” as the VFR. It is really a one of a kind motorcycle. Alas, there was no money in the budget for a new motorcycle.

Fast forward to 2004. It is Friday, the day before we leave for a 10 day motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia. I am flipping through the Want Ad at work and there is a 1998 VFR, low miles, excellent condition. I check it out on the way home. It is perfect, just the bike I was looking for with Heli Bars and a Corbin Seat. Unfortunately, I am leaving early tomorrow and don’t have time to do the deal before I leave.

As we’re packing to leave, I am whining about the VFR, “At that price and condition it won’t last and will be gone by the time I get back blah, blah blah”. My wife, God bless her, looks at me with that “you are an idiot!” look in her eyes and says…”Just buy the damn thing before you are fifty and look ridicules on it!” So on the way to Nova Scotia we make a side trip, buy the VFR, store it in her sister’s garage and leave on our trip. That is the story of how I got my VFR.

I’ve has the VFR for 9 years and other newer and more expensive bikes have come and gone but the VFR remains. I don’t know what it is about the VFR800. There is so much to like. It’s sporty, tours well and runs like a Swiss watch. I’ve found nothing that comes close to replacing it. I’ve made two 3000+ mile trips on it in the last two years. This year, I chose to take the VFR over a brand new Concours 1400 sitting in the garage. Last year, I choose the VFR800 over a GL1800 Goldwing. I guess that says something about how well the VFR800 tours and how much fun it is to ride.

• Member Contributer

I quit riding street after a nasty crash on my CBX. Met some friends years later who were into canyon riding and got the itch. Came across a cherry 86 VFR in RWB fell in love with it. Did the CBR F2 mods to it and learned how to ride canyons with it. Then came the 98 VFR and the 86 got sold to a buddy and my 98 is still my favorite even with the Aprilia Tuono which is a very awesome bike. Wish I could keep all my bikes I've owned.

But since I like to do all kinds of riding the VFR just never let's me down. Commute long rides canyon riding touring. I even did some dirt road riding un expectedly in Mexico and Anza borrego. Not a dual sport

What I am finding so surprising is there are so many people who have ridden so many bikes bet decided that the VFR was the one to keep. It must be the "do it all" nature of the bike.

• Member Contributer

The VFR is such a well rounded, compelling package. A great combination of comfort, reliability, handling and above all one of the most engaging powerplants you can find. The number one requirement I have of a motorcycle is that I have to love the motor--and the V4 is just so lovable...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

My gf and I wanted a touring bike that is cheap and I wouldn't find boring for two up trips. When I found our current bike it was the right price, had all the factory hard bags, and had all the electrical issues repaired.

Lately though I've been neglecting both my cbr and vfr for my buddy's hypermotard that I'm storing for him until he relocates to a permanent residence.

• Member Contributer

My gf and I wanted a touring bike that is cheap and I wouldn't find boring for two up trips. When I found our current bike it was the right price, had all the factory hard bags, and had all the electrical issues repaired. Lately though I've been neglecting both my cbr and vfr for my buddy's hypermotard that I'm storing for him until he relocates to a permanent residence.

Bitten by the naked bug...me too

It's the S model too so it has all the goodies. I could see myself ditching the cbr for one if my shoulder keeps getting worse. Annnnnnnd he may sell depending on where he moves and I could probably get it for pay off. It's more than track ready the only drawback being the ducati tax.

Never plan on selling the vfr though.

Archived