If VFR's last for ever, how come you see so few 4th. gens. on the road?

I bought my 4th gen. last year. Prior to buying it I really can't recall ever seeing more than one on the road. That was in 1995. I understand that only one turned up at Tmac this year. So if VFR's last for ever where are the rest of the 4th gens. in North America?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my 4th gen. last year. Prior to buying it I really can't recall ever seeing more than one on the road. That was in 1995. I understand that only one turned up at Tmac this year. So if VFR's last for ever where are the rest of the 4th gens. in North America?

VFrs don't last forever, they last as long as any other bike. There's nothing special about them in this regard. Their owners tend to keep them a little longer than average because they can't find anything better to replace them with, however they eventually do. The 4th gens are the same place any other 15 year old bike or car is, usually forgotten or junked.

• Member Contributer

cannot recall having seen any of these in years........ GPZ1100? RF900? GTS1000?

:tour:

I think people just move on to newer bikes. The older ones get stored in the back of the garage while their owners ride the 'new and improved', or they're sold to newbies who buy cheaper used bikes to get into motorcycling, but then never actually do, so the bikes end up sitting.

Nothing lasts forever, of course, and some folks might not trust 15-year old bikes for long trips, or even around town after awhile - especially if there's a new flavor in the garage.

Anyway, why would you want to see too many of the same kind of bike you have out there.......Do you want to feel like you're on a CBR or Gixxer or something really common like those bikes!??

Heck, everytime I go up to Alice's these days, I'm pretty much the only one riding a VFR out there......and I like that!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

There were actually two at TMAC, mine and Lee's. My bike is 17 years old. Like any other vehicle that gets that kind of age on it, they get wrecked or sadly parted out and over time not so many remain. For those that are remaining out there in good shape, I think people hold on to them. For those of us that love them, they will never be 'forgotten'. If I wear this one out, I'll probably find another one.

As someone else stated, some folks may hesitate or not have confidence to ride a bike any long distance with that kind of age on it. I can understand that. But it also pays to get to know your bike. I think I have my past electrical issues solved and didn't hesitate putting 1000+ miles on the TMAC trip. It never missed a beat and ran like a top.

No, nothing lasts forever. But the 4th gen will last a long time if you take really good care of it. I guess I just really love the 4th gen bike and can't think of anything else I'd rather have. Sure there are faster, sportier, etc, etc bikes out there but I don't care about that. I've considered a newer VFR and I love them all but they all have their pros and cons. If I do ever get a newer VFR model, I would sell my cruiser to fund it, not my 4th gen. The only way I'll turn loose of my 4th gen would be to get another 4th gen.

As for seeing them on the road, I live in metro Atlanta and I don't see many VFRs, certainly not 4th gens. But I like that. It's not a bike you see everyday.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

I have seen a few of 4th gens around Minneapolis and Minnesota. There are usually several at local bike nights. And they tend to be in excellent condition. There are two for sale right now on Minneapolis / St. Paul Craigslist. They are out there but VFRs in general are reletively rare wherever I go.

I have totalled two of them if that helps answer the question. Only a broken collarbone to show for the moto carnage. 1st crash was my fault and was a high speed high side. 2nd crash was not my fault and was lower speed with no injuries. Both bikes were toast.

I loved my 4th Gens. I'd buy another if I found the right deal. I love my 5th Gen, but it is a different bike. Overall, I like the Gen 5 better, but still miss some of the things from the Gen 4.

They are reasonably common in Australia. Guaranteed when I visit Melbourne I will see a couple. There are two I know of in my home town, one owned by a lady, which is cool. There's always a few for sale online. I haven't seen any nasty ones, seen a few grotty high ODO examples which makes me sad.

They're not yet regarded a classic. In my opinion they already should be. Maybe because the lineage was so long and later models extensions of the theme, many people see the 4th gen as being very similar to the rest. It isn't like the VFR series was a short lived and awesome model, nor was it as ground breaking as the first CBR900RR for example. We all may think a little differently to this, but to the average person I think it is close to the truth.

Values are still low for 4th gens, even in great condition with less than 100,000Km on the clock. A local guy was selling a 5th gen with Staintune pipe for $3800. It disappeared from the local classifieds last weekend after at least 3-4 months of advertising. I was sure I knew the bike and it was clean as a whistle. Whenever I could, I plugged it to friends and colleagues who were looking for a bike.

I'll never part with mine. The later models don't do anything for me. They look nice, sound nice but just aren't as classic as the 4th gen in my opinion. I would be tempted at a 5th gen but that would only be to put a TOROcharger on it. Speaking of which, an Aussie guy who may frequent here was selling his supercharged VFR. I wonder if it sold.

Regarding the "last forever". As was said, if properly maintained. Even still, compared to a lot of other bikes, these models were over-engineered. I think we are justified in saying that on average our bikes will last longer than others. Nothing suffers unfair abuse.

that's because I'm collecting them. and they do last forever. 240K and counting on my original '94.

Paul in SoCal

I was just going to say, someone is hoarding them. Now I know where.

Unfortunately, take another 4th gen off the list, I have one I've just dismantled and pirated parts off of.

I just got my roommate to buy a 4th Gen a few weeks ago... and it's only got 13K on the clock too! :) He couldn't be happier with it, and for me, it's really interesting seeing the changes from 2nd Gen to 4th Gen. I appreciate a lot of the changes from '86 to '94-97, but I still can't see myself ditching mine. Maybe I'll just have to add a 4th gen to the stable and, eventually, a 5th gen anniversary edition of course!

The gear whine is to die for on the '95, that is for sure! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

There are two or three in town here I see from time to time, but the one I have know was the only one I've seen for sale (that wasn't trashed) in over 5 years. I'll never sell mine and would love to have another.

I traded my bike after 13 years, still going strong & looked near new. But I wanted to get a new bike, because I wanted to get a new bike. No other reason.

A lot of the earlier models of bikes I have owned, well lets face it, not many people want to ride with only drum brakes & cardboard seats....

But every now & then you do spot them, like the Bridgestone 175cc the other day, rider with bucket helmet, goggles & a Brando jacket, he got the looks I never did in 68.

I very rarely see other VFR's of any description around town, used to be a guy that lived around the corner with a 4th Gen (Red), but have not seen him or the bike for yonk's.

Don't see to many driving around in a 1951 Hillman Minx either(My 1st car), although I did see a 54 at McDonalds some years back with vintage plates.

Nothing last forever.

hillmanminx.jpg

I have two almost perfect and matching VFRs in my garage.

My 1995 is in the for sale section right now.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/947-1995-honda-vfr-750f-25k-miles/

I think I will keep the 96 forever!

The forths are a much, much better bike than the fifth Gen.

I just love the looks that people give when me and the wife park two forth gens together.

It is either they are remembering their past or they think Honda came out with a new production

street bike which they must have missed in their SportRider magazine.

All I know is I bought a forth gen in 96 new off the showroom floor and I rode it for 38K trouble free miles before I totaled it.

State Farm gave me enough money in 2000 that I was able to buy a new Y2K VFR that I had been lusting over that yellow but didn't want to get off of my wallet.

After 11 years of owning the Y2K, I finally broke down and bought another 96.

I am smiling every single time I take that 96 out.

I love passing the newer bikes, then when they catch up to me at the store they can't beleive how fast an old VFR is.

I just look at them and say,"You don't get Bike of the year for 11 years straight by building crap."

• Member Contributer

4th gen is a wonderful bike, but in regards to performance, the 5th gen has it beat. Taking both of them out back to back, the 5th gen just felt like it took noticeably less effort and felt better in a turn than the 96. And yes, both had good rubber on them.

That said, I still love the 4th gen. Still a fantastic bike and very enjoyable.

Archived