If VFR's last for ever, how come you see so few 4th. gens. on the road?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were actually two at TMAC, mine and Lee's. My bike is 17 years old. Like any other vehicle that gets that kind of age on it, they get wrecked or sadly parted out and over time not so many remain. For those that are remaining out there in good shape, I think people hold on to them. For those of us that love them, they will never be 'forgotten'. If I wear this one out, I'll probably find another one.

As someone else stated, some folks may hesitate or not have confidence to ride a bike any long distance with that kind of age on it. I can understand that. But it also pays to get to know your bike. I think I have my past electrical issues solved and didn't hesitate putting 1000+ miles on the TMAC trip. It never missed a beat and ran like a top.

No, nothing lasts forever. But the 4th gen will last a long time if you take really good care of it. I guess I just really love the 4th gen bike and can't think of anything else I'd rather have. Sure there are faster, sportier, etc, etc bikes out there but I don't care about that. I've considered a newer VFR and I love them all but they all have their pros and cons. If I do ever get a newer VFR model, I would sell my cruiser to fund it, not my 4th gen. The only way I'll turn loose of my 4th gen would be to get another 4th gen.

As for seeing them on the road, I live in metro Atlanta and I don't see many VFRs, certainly not 4th gens. But I like that. It's not a bike you see everyday.

Chuck

I understand what you are saying and agree with most of what you said. There are plenty of people out there who don't trust old bikes. But what makes a bike old, years or mileage? Is a 7 year old GSXR1000 with 15000 miles on it, younger than a 17 year old VFR750 with 15000 miles on it. My '95 is in just as good a shape as my 7 year old Suzuki, and when it comes down to quality of finish, the VFR looks newer next to it. I've also got a 30 year old CB900f which is in excellent shape, which I wouldn't hesitate to ride down to Tmac and back from Canada. Maybe next year I will. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

But what makes a bike old, years or mileage? Is a 7 year old GSXR1000 with 15000 miles on it, younger than a 17 year old VFR750 with 15000 miles on it. My '95 is in just as good a shape as my 7 year old Suzuki, and when it comes down to quality of finish, the VFR looks newer next to it. I've also got a 30 year old CB900f which is in excellent shape, which I wouldn't hesitate to ride down to Tmac and back from Canada. Maybe next year I will. :tongue:

For me, I'm more concerned with what kind of shape a bike is in and not what year it was made.

Chuck

i totaled four 4th gens.. and i am doing crazy build on a another one.. :happy:

Yeah Greg we have our own version of you over here too - his name is Kevan. I think he has totalled three 4th Gens, one 5th Gen, and had a 5th Gen stolen.

How do we ban you guys from owning VFRs? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Maybe it cuz people are modding them to look like cbr600rr's :goofy:

Or like MV Agustas!

_IGP2419.JPG

Maybe it cuz people are modding them to look like cbr600rr's :goofy:

Or like MV Agustas!

_IGP2419.JPG

Hmmmm...That's kinda what I wanted the 5th gen to look like....but Honda gave us Klingon styling instead....

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I cannot yet fathom the bike I would rather have than the 97. Cross country or turning and burning off the chicken strips, it does it all with a howl and a gear whine that can't be beat. Nobody ever says, "What a great OLD bike"! They think it is something new or different, and look odd when you say it is fifteen, like you are joking with them. NACA rules!

• Member Contributer

Something not mentioned up to now is there were never that many imported to begin with. VFRs have never been high volume sales units. I think my dealer told me or I read it here that they only sent about two thousand units/year to the US. So, that would only average 40 per state and lower population states would probably have a significantly lower number.

My first VFR was a 94 and it was a great machine but I think I prefer the FI and some of the other improvements that are on the 5th gens. But performance wise, it would be hard to live on the difference between them.

There are a lot of 4th gens out there. The reason you don't see that many on the road is that most people are fair weather weekend riders and their bikes just sit in the garage getting older but staying clean.

The only things I like better about my fifth gen are the linked brakes and the FI.

The Forth gen fits better, it corners better it definately doesn't drag parts in a turn like the fifth does, center stand on the left and exhaust pipe on the right.

The forth looks ten times better.

The fifth gen just looks dated to me, like the 2001-2002 Aprillia RSV Mille... Just two bikes which did not age well.

• Member Contributer

There are a lot of 4th gens out there. The reason you don't see that many on the road is that most people are fair weather weekend riders and their bikes just sit in the garage getting older but staying clean.

This is true for me now that I live in a small town with the twisties literally just around the corner. But I was a daily commuter when I lived in Vancouver. Fewer miles per year now, but way more smiles!

I am about 700 km from hitting 160K km (100K miles). If the damn rain stops should happen by end of July.

Vfrurknee makes a good point. The 3rd/4th gems were purposefully over-engineered by Honda to correct many of the V-4's earlier shortcomings. This worked, but upped the price which in turn lowered sales. I've seen two over the last three years in San Diego. Told my kids to bury me with mine...

I have to put my hand up and say that I've reduced the population, too. Having said that, they are very popular still here in Oz and holding their prices well as well. In fact, a quick perusal of the classified reveals that a good, low mileage 4th Gen will usually be dearer than a comparable 5th Gen, so perhaps here, at least, they have already attained cults status. The model ceruainly has as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

I am very close to adding a third 4th Gen to my garage - but this one runs and is registered :smile:

I currently have 30k on my 95 and have had no problems with it mechanically, besides it failing AZ emissions last week.

The only gripe I have is what has happened recently to my fairings. I fixed the cracking tail last year with plastifix as prescribed by seb, then my last ride before I put the LSL kit on I have a huge chunk missing out of my right fairing. As soon as I pulled both sides off I had a HUGE crack going down and my naca ducts just completely fell out. I ride my bike often here in Az it is just sad that I have to ride it right now with no side, middle, or bottom fairings on it because they literally fell apart on me. So now I am forced into a frankenviffer just to make my wife mad and turn the frown upside down with the labor of love.

• Member Contributer

I currently have 30k on my 95 and have had no problems with it mechanically, besides it failing AZ emissions last week.

The only gripe I have is what has happened recently to my fairings. I fixed the cracking tail last year with plastifix as prescribed by seb, then my last ride before I put the LSL kit on I have a huge chunk missing out of my right fairing. As soon as I pulled both sides off I had a HUGE crack going down and my naca ducts just completely fell out. I ride my bike often here in Az it is just sad that I have to ride it right now with no side, middle, or bottom fairings on it because they literally fell apart on me. So now I am forced into a frankenviffer just to make my wife mad and turn the frown upside down with the labor of love.

Do you have any pics of your LSL setup?

Auggius sorry I've been real busy with work sorry.. The install went pretty smooth, but I did have to get ST1100 cables due to finding a bad fray in my return cable. www.powersportsplus.com has them for 18 which are new OEM. The front fairing needs to be notched quite a bit and an inch down from where it turns down after the bulge needs to be removed. I did not do it with care because the fairings on my bike are disintegrating. Once I start throwing some CBR pieces on I will post pics, right now the bike looks ugly. :(

• Member Contributer

There is a pack of 3rd and 4th gen VFRs I've seen roaming around my town (Madison, WI) but I haven't been able to talk to their owners as yet because they are always zipping by when I see them. They are in various states of repair from crashed out nakeds to pretty immaculate looking originals. As for mine, it has over 50K on the clock, still running strong, and it would be the last bike I'd part with out of the ones I currently have. But I'd rather not part with any of them!

I traded my bike after 13 years, still going strong & looked near new. But I wanted to get a new bike, because I wanted to get a new bike. No other reason.

A lot of the earlier models of bikes I have owned, well lets face it, not many people want to ride with only drum brakes & cardboard seats....

But every now & then you do spot them, like the Bridgestone 175cc the other day, rider with bucket helmet, goggles & a Brando jacket, he got the looks I never did in 68.

I very rarely see other VFR's of any description around town, used to be a guy that lived around the corner with a 4th Gen (Red), but have not seen him or the bike for yonk's.

Don't see to many driving around in a 1951 Hillman Minx either(My 1st car), although I did see a 54 at McDonalds some years back with vintage plates.

Nothing last forever.

hillmanminx.jpg

Hi Max 1,

I just found out today, That My Ex-wife & Her B-friend are finally willing to sell my '57 Hillman Husky to me, after 8-yrs. ( Long Ugly Story!)

I bought my '83 VF750F to ride, & have put over 1000 miles on Her since I have gotten my Learners permit, & will most-likely add another 1000 - 1500 on her this year. And hope to ride her to Wisconsin & back next year, & many more places in the future!

I don't fore-see me replacing her any-tyme soon!

• Member Contributer

Auggius sorry I've been real busy with work sorry.. The install went pretty smooth, but I did have to get ST1100 cables due to finding a bad fray in my return cable. www.powersportsplus.com has them for 18 which are new OEM. The front fairing needs to be notched quite a bit and an inch down from where it turns down after the bulge needs to be removed. I did not do it with care because the fairings on my bike are disintegrating. Once I start throwing some CBR pieces on I will post pics, right now the bike looks ugly. :(

No worries. I've been busy the last few days too. But cutting the fairing was what I was afraid of. My plastics are generally in good shape with some cracks and scraps as would be normal / expected for a 17 year old bike. I guess I may sell my LSL superbike bar conversion hardware then.

Archived