My Trip To The Isle Of Man

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_5128_669_172803.jpg

Motoczysz E1pc and Me.JPG

I've just had the adventure of a lifetime, and wish all of you could have been there with me, so I'll try to convey the experience in words and pics as well as I can.

Most of the underlying story is here, but there's definitely more to the tale...

Six months ago I became part of a team, headed by Motoczysz Inc. of Portland, Oregon, that intended to build an electric-drive racebike for the world's first zero-emissions grand prix, the Isle of Man TTxGP, which just took place on June 12th. You can imagine how ambitious (crazy?) it was to believe we could build a competitive racer in just six months :laugh: , let alone arrange for practice time and shipping of the bike and team to the IOM, but we did it!

gallery_5128_669_20948.jpg

Motoczysz E1pc.jpg

By May 25th, the Motoczysz E1pc was in the crate and heading across the pond.

I flew over on June 5th. My first impressions were all good. Motorcycles everywhere, with riders who traveled from Ireland, U.K., France, Germany, Italy and farther, not to mention the ancient villages, stone walls, and hedgerows, and stunning vistas everywhere we went. gallery_5128_669_101489.jpg

IOM - Douglas.JPG

I'd guess (pulling this out of my ass a bit) that there were as many as 5000 motorcycles on the Island while I was there (I've never seen so many VFRs - in Europe they sell like mad - and I didn't get to meet any of the riders!), most of them visitors who were constantly out on the roads throughout the week, splitting lanes with cars going each direction beside them with only inches to spare. It was amazing and hair-raising, but I never personally saw a biker down while I was there (though I heard reports of it happening). If you imagine a whole island nation where the motorcycle is revered as king, you've got the picture. My kind of place! :blush: gallery_5128_669_238076.jpg

So Many Bikes!.JPG

Most of the energy is definitely focused around the Start/Finish line in Douglas, where the grandstands, paddocks, merchandise stalls, tent villages, and race prep areas share space. The first thing I visited was an amazing Norton museum near the entry gate. gallery_5128_669_109318.jpg

Norton1 IOM.JPG

gallery_5128_669_84902.jpg

Notice the Spare leather Drive Belt!.JPG

While wandering near the grandstands, I bumped into this guy signing autographs. MotoGP racers deserve their due, but roadracers like John McGuinness put their lives on the line at a whole 'nother level. gallery_5128_669_49504.jpg

John McGuinness.JPG

The next few days are still a blur. Our team spent most of our time meeting TTxGP organizers and other teams, going through ACU (Auto-Cycle Union, the governing body for UK motorcycle racing) and electrical tech inspections, and then finally revealing our bike to the public. What are the odds that Valentino Rossi and Giacomo Agostini would be on hand that day to see and rev our bike before signing the "tank" cover?! It's true! That's Rossi in the yellow:

gallery_5128_669_52020.jpg

Rossi, About to Sign and Rev Our Bike!.JPG

There was also a perfect RC45 on hand next to Rossi's VIP paddock. I wish I'd gotten a chance to meet its owner. gallery_5128_669_303719.jpg

RC45 IOM.JPG

I won't focus too much on our racing fortunes in this thread. Suffice it to say that we had set-backs, primarily focused on our motors. There will be many more motor choices for electric bikes in the near future as enthusiasm for zero-emissions motorsports catches on. Still, our bike performed extremely well during our second qualifying run and during track practice the day before the race, and the bike drew huge crowds and seemed to be appreciated as a real racebike, not just a cobbled-together hobby piece. It's not easy getting internal-combustion racing fans to expand their horizons, but I think the TTxGP did just that. gallery_5128_669_115652.jpg

Ready for Qualifying Session.JPG

gallery_5128_669_172803.jpg

Motoczysz E1pc and Me.JPG

gallery_5128_669_311327.jpg

Ready to Race.JPG

I'm already planning to go back next year. I'm not sure I'll be with a race team next time (though I'd like to be), but once the IOM gets into your blood, you can't stay away. And next time I'm renting a bike!

• Member Contributer
is that the pillion mount?

Ouch!

Yeah, they made us have redundant safety switches for the corner workers. These electric bikes are actually quite safe, though. You should see all of the nervous firefighters running around with fire extinguishers at the ready when the gas bikes get ready to race!

• Member Contributer

If you need a traveling buddy Loni or even somebody to carry your luggage count me in smile.gif

I noticed the 5 in red but once on the starting grid you had it framed in green was this from another set of skins for it or did you paint for some reason.????

Did you get to have an "all day breakfast" on the prom? or see the night-time shenanigans? Did you run into the World Famous Purple Helmets?

Glad you had fun. I'll go back one day.............

Wow! Epic stuff - thanks for sharing - definitely an adventure of a lifetime. :laugh: I'd gladly part with a seldom-used body part to get to the Isle of Man someday :blush:

• Member Contributer
If you need a traveling buddy Loni or even somebody to carry your luggage count me in smile.gif

I noticed the 5 in red but once on the starting grid you had it framed in green was this from another set of skins for it or did you paint for some reason.????

I always need traveling buddies. I can't drink all that Guinness alone... :laugh:

Since ours was the "green" race, for the race we had to put stickers on with a green background.

Did you get to have an "all day breakfast" on the prom? or see the night-time shenanigans? Did you run into the World Famous Purple Helmets?

Glad you had fun. I'll go back one day.............

Saw some night-time shenanigans, but missed the "all-day breakfast" and Purple Helmets. We did hit a few pubs and a pizza joint on the prom though. Guess I'll have to go back for that other stuff!! :blush:

• Member Contributer
great pics Loni, can't wait to catch up over a brew.

I'd love to go next year.

Let's get that brew. And I hope you're there next time, too, bro. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great write up Loni... you're so lucky to be part of the Czysz team... did Sarah go too???

Thanks for the RC45 pic... I saved it so I can find out who the onwer is...

Sounds like a once in a lifetime experience :fing02: To bad the mechanical troubles kept you from finishing and you didn't get to ride the course yourself. Hopefully next year will be an even better experience :dry:

Btw, is that an auxiliary battery pack under the tail?

• Member Contributer
Btw, is that an auxiliary battery pack under the tail?

Sure is. On race day we had a ridiculous amount of energy storage; enough to complete the course at full speed with the gearing we were running. I believe we had more energy aboard than any other team, but it's kind of a moot point when a motor fails three miles in :fing02:. Kind of ironic, since electric motors are known for their low maintenance and reliability. It's hard to say what Motoczysz will do next year, but I'm hoping they give it another go.

That would be an incredible oppurtunity for any motorcycle riding engineer, glad you were able to be part of the team and share it with us.

So was every part designed specifically for this one machine, instead of starting with a GSXR, CBR, etc frame? Having to design the frame and power plant, plus make the parts, would require a lot more time than just focusing on the motor

• Member Contributer

Wow , simply amazing that you and the team were able to assemble and ship in such a short period of time. You should all be commended for a job well done. You folks are the pioneers of the future in road racing and well transportation in general. Awesome stuff man :fing02: :fing02: :beer:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing Loni, it sounds like you had a blast! Great Job to you and all at Motoczysz for all that work in a short time :fing02:

• Member Contributer
That would be an incredible oppurtunity for any motorcycle riding engineer, glad you were able to be part of the team and share it with us.

So was every part designed specifically for this one machine, instead of starting with a GSXR, CBR, etc frame? Having to design the frame and power plant, plus make the parts, would require a lot more time than just focusing on the motor

Yes, the bike was purpose built. Only part of the carbon fiber frame and steering head came from the original C1. Everything else was designed and built locally or in-house within the past six months.

Were you able to find the cause of the motor failure?

Not yet. The bike is in a crate en route to the U.S. right now. I'm sure Michael Czysz, the owner of Motoczysz and team leader, will want to target any and all trouble areas, but we haven't had a team meeting since the race. Not sure what, if anything, was found after I left the IOM.

• Member Contributer
If someone built a long range electric bike I'd be first in line.

How long would the range have to be for your use, based on your current riding habits? Would you be interested in a hybrid with a 30 to 40-mile electric-only range before a piston engine serving only as a generator comes on to recharge the pack? That may be the direction I explore next unless I see a major advance in battery energy density in the next few months. I think the generator would hardly run at all for the average commuter, though it would be there for longer rides. The only downside would be solving the issue of long storage periods for shitty ethanol-polluted gas (yes, I said ethanol is shit, but that's a whole other topic :dry: ).

I like the idea of leaving the gas engine in its optimal rpm range and efficiency under constant load, and driving the wheel with a silent motor and a shaft or belt, which would make the bike very torquey and quiet. We can add a bullhorn with TIE fighter or Ferrari sound effects later wink.gif

• Member Contributer
Great write up Loni... you're so lucky to be part of the Czysz team... did Sarah go too???

Thanks for the RC45 pic... I saved it so I can find out who the onwer is...

The rc45 was for sale from Crossan motorcycles. A trader over from Ireland, selling arai helmets and other bits

Think the price was asking for around £15,000....

More on topic, living in Douglas at the moment, i bumped into a few of these competitors. The winners, a bike from india was for show in the middle of town yesterday, with their bike builder answering questions. They used a gsxr750 frame and went from there.

I also have another guy at the moment milling a few brackets for me who also competed in the same TTX. He uses a ducati as a base.

Its all very mad scientist from what i can see... :dry: .....

Seems like a fair price.

On the days highlights show on ITV4, when they covered mad sunday, the show starts off with the commentator standing at the gooseneck and the second bike that passes behind him is a RC30 or NC30, shortly followed by what I think a NC35 or maybe a RC45.

shot0001xnr.th.png shot0005k.th.png

• Member Contributer

What an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing with us. Is Motosczyz running in the AMA eGrand Prix in July?

Archived