My Trip To The Isle Of Man

• Member Contributer
What an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing with us. Is Motosczyz running in the AMA eGrand Prix in July?

The Mid-Ohio eGrand Prix is really just a parade lap, an exhibition. It needs to be a real race to entice the teams to spend the money and time it will take to be there. I guess Azhar Hussain (organizer of the TTxGP) is trying to make it a proper race now, but time is short and commitments need to be made to get bikes and people transported. Michael Czysz will ultimately decide whether the E1pc will be there, but right now it's still unknown. As soon as I get the word, I'll post up.

I kick myself about weekly for not pursuing the EE/ME major I wanted to. I would have loved to take part in builds like this, where the mad inventor meets reality. Congrats to you and your team for all you have done, and good luck going forward.

I need a bike that can do 1-2 hours of commuting in a day, speeds vary with traffic. Plug in would be ideal, as more and more employers will be allowing that in the future.

• Member Contributer
I kick myself about weekly for not pursuing the EE/ME major I wanted to. I would have loved to take part in builds like this, where the mad inventor meets reality.

I need a bike that can do 1-2 hours of commuting in a day, speeds vary with traffic. Plug in would be ideal, as more and more employers will be allowing that in the future.

You're not dead yet! wink.gif If nothing else, find a mad scientist and offer to lend a hand :dry:

The bike you describe is what I'd like to build. We'll see what the year brings in terms of time and development resources.

What ever happened to the Czysz MotoGP campaign. I know they got kinda screwed when they decided to go to 800cc in the middle of the development of the C1. Is there anything in the works for an 800cc GP bike? If so hopefully GP wont switch back to 2 smokers in the middle of its development

I kick myself about weekly for not pursuing the EE/ME major I wanted to. I would have loved to take part in builds like this, where the mad inventor meets reality. Congrats to you and your team for all you have done, and good luck going forward.

1-2 hours, what is the average speed? or break it down.... 30 min at xx mph, then 20 min at yy mph....

I know I'll be putting about 6.4kwh in my motorcycle when i get batteries... so, it'l do close to 65 miles or so.... 45-60mph.

Loni and I could build you somethin wink.gif

1-2 hours, what is the average speed? or break it down.... 30 min at xx mph, then 20 min at yy mph....

I know I'll be putting about 6.4kwh in my motorcycle when i get batteries... so, it'l do close to 65 miles or so.... 45-60mph.

Loni and I could build you somethin wink.gif

Well, my commute is 10 miles, takes roughly 30 minutes, depending on route. I usually go about 90 from congestion to congestion.....

reality is 30 mph is average speed, but you damn well better be able to do 65 when the traffic is moving that fast, or they just run you down. On this mornings commute I probably hit a top speed of 75, but stopped at 3 stop signs and 7 lights, with waiting time at each light and stop sign.

I can't wait until the mainstream demand brings the price to a competitive level, billing it as a gas saver wouldn't ever justify the cost with my type of commute. I use about 160 gallons per year commuting. I care about the environment but my wallet makes the choices.

• Member Contributer

There's a lot of resistance to this newer technology. You reduced it tremendousy with the fantastic design. Aesthetically, it's stunning!

There's a lot of resistance to this newer technology. You reduced it tremendousy with the fantastic design. Aesthetically, it's stunning!

futile.jpg

So, since the resistance was reduced due to the "fantastic design".....and we assume that the resistance was reduced to a value of less than 1 Ohm, then resistance IS futile.

Lets hope Loni can fudge the numbers on the multimeter wink.gif lol

• Member Contributer

futile.jpg

So, since the resistance was reduced due to the "fantastic design".....and we assume that the resistance was reduced to a value of less than 1 Ohm, then resistance IS futile.

Lets hope Loni can fudge the numbers on the multimeter wink.gif lol

Uh, oh, here come the EE jokes... :fing02:

:dry:

Uh, oh, here come the EE jokes... :cool:

:laugh:

I'll refrain from tainting your TTXGP thread anymore....I gotta get a picture of the one entry that was straddling the bike and "walking" it up the hill...

underneath:

"his resisitance was >1 ohms"

• Member Contributer

That is just too cool that you got to experience the whole Isle of Man thing as a competitor!

SO - will recharging technique become the oil thread of the future?

• Member Contributer
That is just too cool that you got to experience the whole Isle of Man thing as a competitor!

SO - will recharging technique become the oil thread of the future?

Miguel: "I prefer synthetic electrons imported from Italy and a big extension cord."

Baileyrock: "Well, to each his own, but I get a faster charge with homemade ones when I attach a generator to my stationary bike. I just pretend I'm pursuing Angelina Jolie up a steep hill."

Kanadian Ken: "Hmm...We found a way to extract ours from Alberta tar sands, but the sticky residue makes for long charging times."

tongue.gif

It's been very interesting to see Electric bikes go from ideas to reality in such a short space of time, and Frodus and Magellan have truly been at the pointy end. Thanks guys! Am enjoying the ride (and starting to scheme smile.gif )

• Member Contributer
I'll refrain from tainting your TTXGP thread anymore....I gotta get a picture of the one entry that was straddling the bike and "walking" it up the hill...

underneath:

"his resisitance was >1 ohms"

I heard that one team on race day crossed the finish line on foot pushing the bike (legal). Shows a lot of heart from the rider.

Yes, that sounds like a great start. I commute on my bike everyday which is less than 40 kilometres. That'd be perfect.

From the looks of the design of that bike and the evolution of energy storage it won't be long before hybrid or full-electric bikes are available.

I love the VFR electric bike you and your mates were working on. Frankly, I'd give up the combustion engine completely for a bike that was completely silent - I know, a cardinal sin, eliminating the purr of the V4.

Really groundbreaking work you're doing. Very interesting.

If someone built a long range electric bike I'd be first in line.

How long would the range have to be for your use, based on your current riding habits? Would you be interested in a hybrid with a 30 to 40-mile electric-only range before a piston engine serving only as a generator comes on to recharge the pack? That may be the direction I explore next unless I see a major advance in battery energy density in the next few months. I think the generator would hardly run at all for the average commuter, though it would be there for longer rides. The only downside would be solving the issue of long storage periods for shitty ethanol-polluted gas (yes, I said ethanol is shit, but that's a whole other topic :fing02: ).

I like the idea of leaving the gas engine in its optimal rpm range and efficiency under constant load, and driving the wheel with a silent motor and a shaft or belt, which would make the bike very torquey and quiet. We can add a bullhorn with TIE fighter or Ferrari sound effects later wink.gif

• Member Contributer
Yes, that sounds like a great start. I commute on my bike everyday which is less than 40 kilometres. That'd be perfect.

From the looks of the design of that bike and the evolution of energy storage it won't be long before hybrid or full-electric bikes are available.

I love the VFR electric bike you and your mates were working on. Frankly, I'd give up the combustion engine completely for a bike that was completely silent - I know, a cardinal sin, eliminating the purr of the V4.

I know how you feel. I'm not planning to sell my ICE (internal combustion engine) VFR. I love carefully timed explosions of dino juice as much as the next guy (but painfully aware of the unsustainability of billions of us turning oil into greenhouse gases).

On the other hand, the flat plateau and instantaneous torque of an electric motor, when combined with variable regen (imagine being able to program in exactly as much "engine braking" as you want), no shifting (although some electric bikes with lower-output motors do use gearboxes), and eventually traction control, take driving into and out of corners to a new level. Just go in deep trailing the "brakes" (putting energy back into the batteries), hit your apex, and roll on the throttle with no hiccups. The connection between rider and rear wheel is more telepathic than on the best ICE bike.

One thing that I value most about the MotoCzysz/TTxGP experience is that I got to see team ideas become concrete reality. This stuff really works. At this point we need a few key ingredients to come together and "electric", "supersport", "lightweight", and "equal to ICE" can all be used in the same sentence with a straight face. Racing will spur innovation to that end like nothing else.

• Member Contributer

How long would the range have to be for your use, based on your current riding habits? Would you be interested in a hybrid with a 30 to 40-mile electric-only range before a piston engine serving only as a generator comes on to recharge the pack?

For me I'd like to see ~60mi elec. only. As for regen, have you looked into using the wind at speed to drive a turbine gen?

How long would the range have to be for your use, based on your current riding habits? Would you be interested in a hybrid with a 30 to 40-mile electric-only range before a piston engine serving only as a generator comes on to recharge the pack?

For me I'd like to see ~60mi elec. only. As for regen, have you looked into using the wind at speed to drive a turbine gen?

That'd cause more drag and use more energy to push the motorcycle than it would generate....

• Member Contributer
That'd cause more drag and use more energy to push the motorcycle than it would generate....

True.

If you could push any sort of generator into motion and get more energy out than was used to put it into motion, you would achieve "overunity", a condition that would defy the second law of thermodynamics. Although many bull$hit artists claim to have achieved overunity, none of them has ever done it under peer review or for mass production; i.e. it doesn't work in our universe, in which time flows linearly toward entropy. Sad, but true.

Of course, many people want to believe in such things anyway, and I know of many who have spent a great deal of time and money trying to beat Newton with hydrogen generators and the like for their cars. Most of them eventually realize that it takes more energy to perform the electrolysis than the hydrogen adds to power produced by the engine. I asked one guy (who was quite gung ho about his pet project) how many amps he was drawing to separate the hydrogen he was introducing to his fuel supply. He assured me that although he had already gone through several alternators, he was just one breakthrough away...You can easily imagine the OCD loop such thinking can trap you into.

• Member Contributer

True.

If you could push any sort of generator into motion and get more energy out than was used to put it into motion, you would achieve "overunity", a condition that would defy the second law of thermodynamics. Although many bull$hit artists claim to have achieved overunity, none of them has ever done it under peer review or for mass production; i.e. it doesn't work in our universe, in which time flows linearly toward entropy. Sad, but true.

Of course, many people want to believe in such things anyway, and I know of many who have spent a great deal of time and money trying to beat Newton with hydrogen generators and the like for their cars. Most of them eventually realize that it takes more energy to perform the electrolysis than the hydrogen adds to power produced by the engine. I asked one guy (who was quite gung ho about his pet project) how many amps he was drawing to separate the hydrogen he was introducing to his fuel supply. He assured me that although he had already gone through several alternators, he was just one breakthrough away...You can easily imagine the OCD loop such thinking can trap you into.

I'm not an EE nor a physicist, so I'll have to bow to you guys. However, would even a small wind gen be better than none? Could there be a point where there is some benefit despite the drag? Then of course there is the wind belt.

True.

I'm not an EE nor a physicist, so I'll have to bow to you guys. However, would even a small wind gen be better than none? Could there be a point where there is some benefit despite the drag? Then of course there is the wind belt.

True, anything helps, as long as you get the energy without expending energy. For wind power, if your turbine (or windbelt) is stationary, then the energy it picks up is from another source(the wind) and not from propelling the vehicle. They key to workable overunity(perpetual motion) devices is to have an energy source that is reliable and adds input without costing anything. I would assume if there were enough wind turbines the wind would eventually be stalled, but this should be a big enough difference to not be an issue.

I have been intrigued by Tidal forces, and their use in wave generated power supplies.

Archived