• SIMPSON
    • SUOMY
    • ZAMP
    • Z1R

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhmmm...where's Dainese on the list??

I have an old first version Dainese Ergon and a later Ergon Evo and of all the helmets I have, the two still seem to be my favorites as I still go to them occasionally for rides even though I have much never (safer?) helmets. My newest, A Bell Star 2, would have been my favorite as it satisfies almost everything I want from the helmet....except for the excessive wind noise generated by its side exhaust vents whaich I think Bell placed too close to the rider's ears.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I wear Shark - Have had a few - currently wearing my old RSR2 Frutif and crashed in my RSR2 Carbon Black. Have another Carbon on-order. Worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snowdog

Alway been an Arai man.

My last four lids have been RX-7's, two of which did what they said on the tin.

I really did not get on with my last one, it has now been replaced with a brand new RX-7 GP in Aluminum Grey.

I couldn't get one in Frost Black as the Tsunami has distrupted production and they are now as rare as Hen's teeth here in the UK.

They are pricey, but a discount is available if one has an ACU license. (Here in the UK that is)

• Member Contributer

My favorite would be the original Schuberth C3 modular. Had one in red and it was super comfortable and had the flip down sunshield. I liked it so much I bought a new one and it was not so hot, not so much padding and just didn't fit as well. It had great ventilation though. I'm now wearing a Nolan 103 which I like well enough. I loved the Shoei's I had: a couple full face, then a Synchrotech, and a Duotech.

I also wore several Bell open face helmets when they were American made, and you bought them in hat sizes. :biggrin:

I currently ride with a Bell RS-1. Previous favorites are Shoei.

I like the Bell because it is quieter than my last Shoei and it was a little less expensive. Also, I feel like the intuitiveness and feel is a little better for my empty noggin!

I've got a 'smallish' medium sized coconut, and so it was hard to find a medium that wasn't too big (like my spare HJC). Sheoi fit the bill perfectly, and it's color was a dead-on yellow/black/silver match for my yellow/black CBR600F4. Now that recently upgraded to a red VFR, I'm in the market for another Shoei that matches my bike better...but it's just so dern hard to let go of my comfy Shoei. How often should you replace a helmet not involved in any impacts, anyway? I've seen 2-4 years, but that sounds like a salesman's recommendation...

How often should you replace a helmet not involved in any impacts, anyway? I've seen 2-4 years, but that sounds like a salesman's recommendation...

sounds about right. Constant on and off plus sweat degrading the crushable liner cant be good for a 4 year old lid.

How often should you replace a helmet not involved in any impacts, anyway? I've seen 2-4 years, but that sounds like a salesman's recommendation...

sounds about right. Constant on and off plus sweat degrading the crushable liner cant be good for a 4 year old lid.

What really breaks down first is the plush fabrics that touch your head and the soft open cell foam they use as a cushion material right under it. The white expanded (crush) foam material really does visibly not break down too much except for slight progressive crushing through the years because of pressure and handling. Some of the glues that hold the crush foam materials to the shell and the padded fabrics to the crush foam do dry out and let things fall off the helmet. That usually occurs at the 5 year and older time period of ownership. Your helmet seriously needs replacing by the time the thin open cell foam starts to crumble and come out in little bits and pieces when you set the helmet down. Face sheilds and pivot mechanisms can usually be changed out for new when needed. Straps and buckles can wear out, but should really outlive most of the other components of the helmet as it is designed to be one of the strongest items on the product.

2 years as replacement schedule seems a bit too early, unless you're a bastid with your helmet and just don't take care of it, like leaving it in the sun daily where UV can break down the materials really quick. I suspect most treat their helmets well enough to use the 5 year schedule as a baseline and go from there, depending on actual use of the helmet and storage conditions.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Shoei X-11 was/is great. Currently breaking in a Schuberth C3 modular. Pricey but light.

I'm sure my helmet is at the point it should be replaced.

I'd really love to hear how people feel about the various models with internal flip-down sun visors.

Pros/Cons?

• Member Contributer

I have John K. in my memory as a Bell helmet rider.... did he swtich sides in recent years? :offtopic:

• Member Contributer

I'd really love to hear how people feel about the various models with internal flip-down sun visors.

Pros/Cons?

After getting used to an internal flip-down visor I will never buy another helmet without one

PROS:

1. No need to ever carry a clear face-shield if you return home after dark

2. Even bigger advantage for me - personally, being able to ride with the visor open on really hot days like today or when stopped in traffic and still have eye-protection and decent airflow with the tinted visor down

CONS:

1. Possibly adds to helmet weight

3. Issues if you have a large proboscis

Shoei RF-1000. It's the only thing I could find that even remotely fit my head correctly, and it's very comfortable. My head seems to be longer front-to-back than average. I find it a little loud though, even with earplugs in.

• Member Contributer

Pros/Cons?

I simply won't buy another helmet without one.

They probably do add a bit of weight, but the modular helmets tend to be a bit porky so it's a wash IMO.

I wear glasses so I don't have to carry a pair of prescription sun glasses, or some of those lame clip-ons.

• Member Contributer

This thread HAS to be the record holder for "Oldest Poll". Since Dec '06? OK, as long as I'm here - Shoei for me. I've had Bell, HJC, KBC, Arai, Icon, and Shoei. All but the Shoei felt like a 10 inch vise on my head. The Shoei falls closer to the "Slipper For You Head" catagory.

• Member Contributer

Shoei TZ R and X 11. Fit my head so well that even after a 10 hour day on the road I sometimes forget I have it on. The X 11 is my summer helmet-it vents fantastic.

Currently I have 5 different helmets, and they all have one better feature that stands out from the others, so I find myself alternating a lot.

- Shoei RF1100, excellent venting and visor, great aerodynamics when facing forward, but heavy and whistles when vents are shut

- Suomy Spec 1R, looks great, very comfy, SUPER LIGHT, visor optics could be better, venting could be better

- Icon Mainframe Legion, looks good, comfy, venting is ok, excellent field of vision and good visor, pretty quiet, weighs less than the Shoei although no featherweight. This is my go-to lid 75% of the time

- Icon Alliance (old version) got it because it was cheap as a backup. All the features of the Mainframe but a bit louder and not as comfy, does not vent as well

- HJC DOT dirt bike helmet, I wear this out to the post office now and then with a pair of foamerz glasses. Heavy, loud, bad aero for road use, etc... but it flows a lot of air being open(yet has a chin bar)

Shark RSI, gold phoenix. Love this lid. I have a huge head and Shark, Shoei and Schuberth are the only ones that make a lid that fits me. Not sure why it is just the companies starting with "S". Very strange. I have a flip face as well for when touring (Multitec)

• 2 weeks later...

Arai Vector is my new favorite and here's why- I just wrecked today and took a hard hit on the noggin in a multi-car crash. Another RC36 may have been totaled in the sad process.... Favorite leather = Vanson, again, because there is not a scuff on me.

• Member Contributer

why in the world is that such a hard option to find?

looks like my next helmet may be a scorpion!

Have a arai and a scorpion -they are both good.post-19304-0-75555400-1312743227_thumb.j

Archived