• SHOEI
    • SIMPSON
    • SUOMY
    • ZAMP
    • Z1R

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Shoei X11 & X-tec are Lg & they both have a little slop. The X-11 has a great fog deterring breathing vent & the shields come off both lickety split. My new helmet is the rather new, most oval shaped Arai, called the Profile. It is a Med & fits real snug. The vents are okay, but the shield switcheroo was a bear, the one time that I switched 'em. It's the best fit I have found, better than all the Shoeis which I have so loyally purchased since '88. I figure a good fit all around the face, as I have in the Profile, is good & reasuring.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Had to vote for my old HJC... When I crashed it took a lick... I mean a Whollop! My head never hurt at all... not even a little. It could have been lighter... and had better noise control but it was comfy and did it's job.... I'm shopping for a new one now. I tried on a Shark yesterday and have to say I was impressed....

Kevin

• Member Contributer

My girlfriend bought me an EXO-700 in matte black for christmas... she also got me the photochromatic face shield. It's a great healmet... a lot quieter then my old Fulmer, but there was a lot of wind that came right up the front a froze your face. I purchased the optional chin fairing which ended that problem. I don't know why they didn't just include it with the helmet.

Currently have a Caberg Rhyno, flip-up. I didn't realize it when I bought it but according to their web page, it comes under the "Junior" category. That is to say it's for kids!! I was in a hurry when I bought it and wasn't sure whether it was just the initial tightness of fit or whether the padding that covers the cheek area was a little high or not. I figured I'd buy it, as tight as it was, so that once the padding had compacted it wouldn't flop around like the previous one was starting to do before I left it on the sidewalk overnight in a fit of absent-mindedness. :blink: I now realize why it feels a little high up. Like, duhhh even!! :huh:

It has a tad too much wind-lift effect once I get up to decent speed, which I figure is due to the contouring across the back which you see a lot these days. My previous helmet didn't have the contouring and did more the opposite. I haven't modified the windscreen on the bike (hope to soon, I'm 6'4" and want to try the Sport-tourer number by Zero Gravity) so it must be the contouring. If the sides came down a little further I reckon it would be perfect. The air intakes in the chin area aren't closeable, but are filtered quite a lot so that's fine in winter to avoid fogging up and in summer keeps you cool. It's got a mean fighter-pilot look to it and a flip-down tinted internal visor which eliminates the need for digging around for sunnies, which when you're wearing gloves is a blessing. It's light, if I'd got a slightly larger one, it would be real comfie, it's a little noisy but all of them are, it's almost perfect. If it were designed for adults it would be tops....Cost 150 eurons

The one before that was a Vemar. El Cheapo shite model, so I've improved. Just can't allow myself to spend 600 eurons on the Shoeies. Oh yeah, another curiosity, both are/were matt black, but all the finger and hand prints used to show up big time on the Vemar, and the Rhyno looks clean as clean can be.

gallery_9544_2563_13488.jpg

Caberg Rhyno

No option for the ICON, so I voted for my Scorpion. Very comfortable, but not as quiet as the ICON I felt. Overall though it feels like a helmet that is at least twice it's actual price.

No AGV or Bieffe? I've had helmets from both that I liked at the time.

One of the Bieffe's I chose mostly for the resemblance to the Star Wars storm troopers. :goofy:

But when I put that Arai Astral on my head at Laguna Seca in the Cycle Gear tent, B)

Loved it so much when I saw HobieDog selling one here in my size, I snapped that sucker up. :thumbsup:

I think the fit is the most important thing. And it was just right.

Guest 767fixer

i have a Icon alliance, a HJC cl-14, a KBC VR-1 and a shoei Z-II and recently sold a Arai RX7. The Arai was a nice helmet but i change shiels twice a day and it was a pain in the arse...little lever popped of numerous times, the creaks and groans of the side plates drew fear. but mostly i was offered a great price (more than i paid for it) so i sold it. the icon and the HJC are both heavy (seeing they are nearly the same helmet and produced in the same factory) but the HJC has more chin bar clearance for some reason (too much for my taste). the Shoei Z-II is my favorite and has been perfect for about 4 years now? the KBC i just got and i have to say is a fantastic helmet. lighter than the RX7 and the shoei...easy change shields, comfortable interior. its just its not color coordinated. :unsure: only faults with it is the ratcheting of the shield could be stronger.

helmet005.jpg

• Member Contributer
One of the Bieffe's I chose mostly for the resemblance to the Star Wars storm troopers.

I had that same Bieffe...BF85 IIRC. :thumbsup:

I just got a Shark RSF2i, and it's likely to replace my Arai as my favorite helmet.

medium.jpg

Guest 767fixer
Got a new black Shoie RF1000 last year to replace my old Shoie GX-1 that was getting a bit tired.

how do you like it? i think thats my next choice. or someone with an opinion of the suomy's? it will be a while but doesnt hurt to get opinions

Guest 767fixer
Anyone have one of the Shoei Multitec Helmets? I've look and tried on probably 5 different Full Flip Face Helmets and can't find one that fits well and its comfy at all. A friend told me his dad has the new Multitec and he loves it. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/product_...h_multitec.aspx

years ago i had a syncrotech and actually like the helmet. great for that smoke at the long traffic lights :thumbsup: the new design is far sharper looking

Got a new black Shoie RF1000 last year to replace my old Shoie GX-1 that was getting a bit tired.

how do you like it? i think thats my next choice. or someone with an opinion of the suomy's? it will be a while but doesnt hurt to get opinions

I lost count of the number I tried on. RF1000 fit the best. Nice and quiet plus easy to change shields. That was a pain on the GX-1.

Almost did the HJC CL-14, but thought the RF1000 had better padding, but was more expensive.

• Member Contributer

My first lid was a Shoei (RF800, I think)... not bad... but it was claustrophobic without any air flow.

My second lid was an Arai RX7RR4 - Loved it! The air flow was plentiful! And the liner... yummy!

My third lid was an Icon Alliance Mainframe... hated it. Had it maybe two months and the thing fell apart. The dealer (which shall remain nameless as a promise) graciously took it back on an exchange for FULL credit! :thumbsup:

Which leads me to the current lid... a Suomy Spec-1R. LOVE IT! Even though some think the shield changes are cumbersome, they really are quite easy. I just wish they offered the "transition" shield for all day riding like others do. You don't want to get me on a roll talking about my Suomy... so I'll just shut up now... wink.gif

flowers.jpg

• Member Contributer

IMO it was pretty true to size. Then again, that may be due to differences in head shape. The cheek pads seem quite a bit plumper than others, so that may be a contributing factor as well. Nicely built helmet... doesn't have certain "cheap" factors like I had with the Arai. The chin deflector cover came off and the shield vents kept breaking off of my Arai.

Otherwise, my experience would rate the Arai with an "A" and the Suomy with an "A+". That, of course, being based on my personal taste and comfort. Thankfully, I've never had to test any of my lids for their main purpose. :D

Guest 767fixer
IMO it was pretty true to size. Then again, that may be due to differences in head shape. The cheek pads seem quite a bit plumper than others, so that may be a contributing factor as well. Nicely built helmet... doesn't have certain "cheap" factors like I had with the Arai. The chin deflector cover came off and the shield vents kept breaking off of my Arai.

Otherwise, my experience would rate the Arai with an "A" and the Suomy with an "A+". That, of course, being based on my personal taste and comfort. Thankfully, I've never had to test any of my lids for their main purpose. :D

had the same shied vent issues with my arai too. thanks for the suomy info :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

First two that I had when I got back riding were Arai RX7's and I liked them alot. Just recently bougha Shark RSR2 and like the fir and make - haven't had it out for a spin yet since its -25 right now :pissed: Guess first real test will be when the sun finally returns!

Archived