• SCORPION
    • SHARK
    • SHOEI
    • SIMPSON
    • SUOMY
    • ZAMP
    • Z1R

• Member Contributer

Fixer still hasn't seen the light on the Arai shield swap, even after I made a video of me swapping mine out while wearing the lid in a matter of seconds. Sure, it's not quite as easy as the Shoei, but it's still very easy when you know how to do it and it's much more robust than you think (so long as you do it right). Fixer probably either had an already damaged part to start with or he used his mekaniking skillz to change the shield and fubar'd it for all future changes. wink.gif

Most of us won't change shields twice a day, so the Arai is fine in that regard. However, since Fixer does have the commute into the sun one way and at night the other, I don't blame him for going with another lid considering that he needs lots of alcohol to do anything even remotely mechanical very well. Just think of Fletch (Chevy Chase) with his ball bearings and you will get the idea. :P

I've heard of people losing vent pieces, but I still have all three of my Arai helmets and have never lost a vent. I did send my most recent lid back (free of charge) for the voluntary recall to get the base piece re-glued. Going by the tracking number, it was recieved, repaired, and sent back out on the same day. I sent and received it in less than a week. It is my understanding that they will send you new vents free of charge if you lose one, but in my 20 years of experience with Arai helmets, I've never had to find out for myself. (Now I will go home and find the cat playing with a brow vent.) :pissed:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
My girlfriend bought me an EXO-700 in matte black for christmas... she also got me the photochromatic face shield. It's a great healmet... a lot quieter then my old Fulmer, but there was a lot of wind that came right up the front a froze your face. I purchased the optional chin fairing which ended that problem. I don't know why they didn't just include it with the helmet.

So how well does the photochromatic shield work??

I voted HJC, mostly because it's what I wear. I know it's not the lightest or best ventilated helmet out there, but it fits. And any helmet, like HJC and KBC, that is easily affordable is good b/c it eliminates cost from being a factor in whether new riders buy helmets or not.

Some of you guys buy a lot of helmets...I've only ever used HJC so my opinion is useless...except for the opinion that some of you guys seem to collect helmets like beer cans. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Unlike many others I know that seem to have 15 helmets I have one. It is a Shoei, it is black, and has reflective stickers I put on myself. It serves exactly the purpose I bought it for!!!

Guest Brakes_and_Blip

Should your favorite be the one your wearing? I have worn a Shoei RF-1000 for three years and like it alot. Just tis week I was able to go to Shoei.com and order replacement cheek pads and some other small parts that had worn out. I have replaced helmets before because they got loose so with the ease of getting parts for just 20 bucks it seals the deal for me for the next two years.

I never knew this but learned last year that helmets have an expiration date. They expire about 5 years after they are made.

Fixer still hasn't seen the light on the Arai shield swap, even after I made a video of me swapping mine out while wearing the lid in a matter of seconds. Sure, it's not quite as easy as the Shoei, but it's still very easy when you know how to do it and it's much more robust than you think (so long as you do it right). Fixer probably either had an already damaged part to start with or he used his mekaniking skillz to change the shield and fubar'd it for all future changes. wink.gif

Most of us won't change shields twice a day, so the Arai is fine in that regard. However, since Fixer does have the commute into the sun one way and at night the other, I don't blame him for going with another lid considering that he needs lots of alcohol to do anything even remotely mechanical very well. Just think of Fletch (Chevy Chase) with his ball bearings and you will get the idea. :P

I've heard of people losing vent pieces, but I still have all three of my Arai helmets and have never lost a vent. I did send my most recent lid back (free of charge) for the voluntary recall to get the base piece re-glued. Going by the tracking number, it was recieved, repaired, and sent back out on the same day. I sent and received it in less than a week. It is my understanding that they will send you new vents free of charge if you lose one, but in my 20 years of experience with Arai helmets, I've never had to find out for myself. (Now I will go home and find the cat playing with a brow vent.) :pissed:

I am very happy with my Arai Quantum II - it is very comfortable, has excellent venting, and works great. I had some difficulty for awhile (a few months) with the shield changes when I first got it and had some buyers remorse but once I got the hang of it, I could change shields in just a few seconds. It was helpful to download the video on shield changes from Arai.

• Member Contributer
Some of you guys buy a lot of helmets...I've only ever used HJC so my opinion is useless...except for the opinion that some of you guys seem to collect helmets like beer cans. smile.gif

Four lids in 20 years for me (plus one for the kid)...that's not collecting. wink.gif

I use a Scorpion helmet (EXO-700) and the no-fog face shields are great and very quiet. I will order the light sensitive shield and test it out.

(Scorpion ShadeShifter)This light sensitive no-fog faceshield darkens to a light smoke when exposed to sunlight and lightens to clear while in the shade or at night.

• Member Contributer
(Scorpion ShadeShifter)This light sensitive no-fog faceshield darkens to a light smoke when exposed to sunlight and lightens to clear while in the shade or at night.

thats what i have... and it works pretty good too! i wish it was just a tad darker but it sure beats swapping shields! smile.gif

What? No AGV? :goofy:

Mine, Uvex, is also not in the list as is Airoh, Shubert, Caberg, Bieffe, Lazer, Vemar, Premier, Acerbis, Baehr, IXS, Dainese & lots of other brands.

I like my Uvex, especially it's double layered anti fog visor.

• Member Contributer
My Helmet.

gallery_8300_2595_203190.jpg

Ramlll.jpg

Arai should put some kinda warning sticker on there to advise to remove the other sticker before use. I imagine that it gets distracting riding with that thing on there. :goofy:

My Helmet.

gallery_8300_2595_203190.jpg

Ramlll.jpg

Arai should put some kinda warning sticker on there to advise to remove the other sticker before use. I imagine that it gets distracting riding with that thing on there. :goofy:

Ok, thank's, I will see better from now on. :thumbsup: :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Some of you guys buy a lot of helmets...I've only ever used HJC so my opinion is useless...except for the opinion that some of you guys seem to collect helmets like beer cans.

Helmets are like bra's and underwear, you can never have too many! :salesman: Oooooooh, I think I found a new motto. *tee hee hee*

• Member Contributer
are they like helmets that they should be free choice wether you wear them or not? :thumbsup:

:goofy: Of course... well, maybe not. There are some women that I think should be required by law to wear proper "support". :goofy: But that's an entirely different topic in itself. :goofy: And, I'm not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole! :salesman:

I've had Shoei's most of my riding life, and only ever crash tested my RF700 at the track. The helmet would have remained untouched on my lowside were it not for the rumble strip that cause the back of my head to bounce off it.

Currently I have two lids, a Shoei RF1000 with the black and red Honda paint scheme, and a frost black Arai Astral-X. I would say that the Arai has a more snug, though no less comfortable, fit for my cranium (looks like an orange on a toothpick!).

As far as shield installation is concerned it's no contest - Shoei's is far, far more user friendly and intuitive than that disaster that Arai has been hanging onto forever. Honestly, how difficult is it to design a shield latching system that avoids the need for those wind-noise inducing side pods? I think Arai is avoiding this route as it would be admitting defeat or something. I have watched the videos, read the manuals, and have removed and installed my clear and tinted visors several times, and while it *can* be easy, it's just as easy to get things misaligned and not be sure if the pressure you are exerting is going to damage something. The Arai almost always sounds like it's breaking when you insert the visor.

Having said all of that, I far prefer the exterior shape of the Arai - it seems more natural or something. And since looks count for everything (sarcasm), I wear it more than the Shoei.

Wargoose

Archived