• SIMPSON
    • SUOMY
    • ZAMP
    • Z1R

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Really like my Arai, bought it last summer and find it the most comfortable I've had.

However the discussion has me wondering: what happened to Bell helmets. At risk of dating myself, I had one of the first Bell Star helmets that started to whole full face trend. Is Bell still around, or did someone buy them out?

John

• Member Contributer
Really like my Arai, bought it last summer and find it the most comfortable I've had.

However the discussion has me wondering: what happened to Bell helmets. At risk of dating myself, I had one of the first Bell Star helmets that started to whole full face trend. Is Bell still around, or did someone buy them out?

John

they faded away in the late 80's. they failed to change with the times and became a bargain basement brand. heck they are even worse than nolan and have become walmarts house brand.....

Thanks 767fixer, another piece of history to file away for me. In any case today's helmets are light years better than they used to be.

John

• Member Contributer
What? No AGV? :goofy:

Mine, Uvex, is also not in the list as is Airoh, Shubert, Caberg, Bieffe, Lazer, Vemar, Premier, Acerbis, Baehr, IXS, Dainese & lots of other brands.

I like my Uvex, especially it's double layered anti fog visor.

I think it would be interesting to know what would be the preferred helmet if they all cost the same!

• Member Contributer
What? No AGV? :goofy:

Mine, Uvex, is also not in the list as is Airoh, Shubert, Caberg, Bieffe, Lazer, Vemar, Premier, Acerbis, Baehr, IXS, Dainese & lots of other brands.

I think it would be interesting to know what would be the preferred helmet if they all cost the same!

If money was no object, I'd still buy an Arai Corsair. The Corsair fits and ventilates better than any I've tried. I'm sure there are others that vent well, but the combination of fit, ventilation, comfort, and looks puts Arai on top for me.

• Member Contributer
What? No AGV? :blink:

If money was no object, I'd still buy an Arai Corsair. The Corsair fits and ventilates better than any I've tried. I'm sure there are others that vent well, but the combination of fit, ventilation, comfort, and looks puts Arai on top for me.

Same for me on the Arai Profile -- but mainly because of fit; Shoei's look like a quality item, too.

First helmet I had was an FM, replaced by the same brand after a car driver turned in front of me & I did a Superman impersonation over the bonnet.

My third helmet was my first Shoei, a TZ-1. Got it on sale at my local dealer. Bought my current helmet about 20 months ago, it's a Shoei RF900. It was also on sale, it had been superceded by the XR1000.

I currently have a Shoei, an Arai and two HJC's and the HJC's just happen to fit my head and face the best.

My last helmet purchase was the Carbon Fiber HJC (I think that the model number is AC12 - but I'm too lazy to get up and look....LOL). I absolutely love it!! It's noticeably lighter, has GREAT visibility and fits my head shape perfectly. Ventilation seems to be very good, but since I always wear either ear plugs or earbuds (for the ZUMO 550!!!!), I can't really make a judgement about the noise levels.

Doug

I bought an arai signet used off of yahoo auctions a couple of years ago for 30 or 40 bucks and I don't think I'll ever be able to wear another brand again. It is so comfortable and the liner hasn't squished down at all yet. I had an HJC and the liner squished in a year or two. Mike

I used to be a shoei fan.

The facts are that if I was looking for a full face helmet again I would probably consider them.

But when I bought my last lid Shoei was pricing their flip face crazy, so I ended up with a symax from HJC.

This spring I'll probably try to pickup a CLMAX lid.

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Recently saw the light and bought a Shark. Good price for a helmet for those of us with oval shaped heads. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have had Shoei's all my life because I was always told you either had a Shoei head or an Arai head. I have learned that this is not true. Some Arai helmets fit me nicely. I am on my second Shoei X-11 that also fits nice. I returned a Shoei RF1200 because it was too expensive for what it is. For my birthday my wife is getting me a Schuberth C3 modular. She has a Nolan and I've tried a bunch of other modulars, but the Schuberth is the sport touring helmet to have. Only problem is that in the US we get bland colors. I'd love to have the red they get in Europe.

When I check helmets out I always look at the reviews on webbikeworld and helmet harbor. webbike world categorizes the helmets by shape, which is nice. Both websites do some nice write ups.

• Member Contributer

d4.jpg

Update!!!!

HPIM6341.jpg

and found a picture of an "oldie" (early 90's)

Scannen0011.jpg

Cruising though USA on a California :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

What about AGV, Fimmez, or BMW? :mellow:

Lurv my BMW lid - nice and quiet as well as super compfy :fing02:

gallery_19264_5124_80068.jpg

15kph Hero Pic :-) [2 May 2010]

voted Shark although I ma have AGV had it been an option. After the theft of a Shark I bought an AGV to replace which was about $200 less than the Shark that I would have bought. Have had it out of town yet but it fits great, is plush (enough), reasonably quite (as near as I can tell under 50mph) and reasonably cool in town of warm to hot days. I think I found the good balance that fits my head finally!

HJC RPS-10, matte black with medium tint visor. Fits well, no lift, stays cool, anti-fog insert works well, very light, but pretty loud (it's a trade off I suppose). I have to wear the neon orange ear plugs.

gallery_22385_5864_568577.jpg

2011 04 16 08 48 08 262

gallery_22385_5864_5127.jpg

post-22385-0-97590200-1308073682_thumb.p

• Member Contributer

The rf 1000 is what I rode to T-MAC in. It was given to me as a gift the day before I left. It fit right was quiet. I like it.

My othet favorite is my X-Eleven. It fits perfect and is very light although a bit noisy.

Both are gloss black.

My daily commuter helmet is a Bilt modular helmet with a flip up and down tinted screen. It fits like it looks, a bit cheap. But it keeps my head covered and I dont have to carry shields everywhere.

It is gloss black too.... Hmmm

• Member Contributer

Anyone have one of the Shoei Multitec Helmets? I've look and tried on probably 5 different Full Flip Face Helmets and can't find one that fits well and its comfy at all. A friend told me his dad has the new Multitec and he loves it. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/product_...h_multitec.aspx

I have had two Shoei Multitec helmets. One replaced another that saved my life (although I did have a concussion; it was a nasty crash - no apparent long term effects). I really like the modular design - I can lift the chin bar to: cool off at a stoplight, have a drink, smoke a cigarette, or converse with someone without shouting. My current one leaks a little (water on the inside of the face shield) when it rains hard - it is three or four years old now.

I subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News. A fabulous MC mag, they are entirely supported by subscription - no ads; no fear of angry advertisers. They have done several reviews of helmet design, performance, etc. Checkout the search function at www.mcnews.com. There was an article on premium helmets and one on modular (flip-face) helmets. Extremely informative. I highly recommend a subscription to this rag.

• Member Contributer

I recently came across a conspicuity quiz that scored how well a rider could make his/her self more visible (better to avoid being involved in a "I did not see the motorcycle until it was too late" accident). I believe it was a Minnesota or Motorcycle Safety Council ad campaign. There were a list of questions one could answer and a score given based on responses. There were approximately a dozen questions each with a point value. Nearly all answers were worth one point - with the exception of helmet color. The choice of a white helmet earned FOUR points. It was the only conspicuity choice worth more than one point. To beat a dying horse - the single most thing you can do to avoid a potential accident is wear a white helmet.

Archived