Been a Long Time! - Perfect Day for a Ride.

Grum

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, WDIV said:

Pics of the wine in bubble wrap in the PVC? (or all loaded up in the panniers?)

No worries, here you go. Zip up the inside case then load it into the pannier. Works a treat, I can fit 4 to a panier without exceeding the weight limit of the pannier.

Cheers.

20230913_192650.jpg

20230913_192518.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Grum said:

It's been around 18 months or so since being able to do and fairly easy 385k round trip ride to my favorite winery, mostly on nice quiet back roads. I've had a few hospital visits and major cancer surgery to get through, anyhow, the short story is I'm feeling great now and have another 12 months or so of Immunotherapy to get through then hopefully I'll be in the clear.

Today was a bit of a test to see how I'd handle the longer times in the saddle along with a picture perfect Spring day for riding, everything went well, happy me.:smile:

There's a great winery I enjoy riding to in a tiny country town called Moonambel (Victoria Australia, Google Maps will get you there!!), an old Gold mining town, but the only Gold you'll find there now are the Red's produced by - Summerfield Winery.

Here's a few happy snaps of the day

Safe Riding All.

Cheers:beer::wheel:

On the way up "Fields of Gold"everywhere, Canola in bloom.

image.thumb.jpeg.47955939ef739715fc07660943d6c852.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c2fe59175a236949183cb3bb5b2ddf60.jpeg

Not quite Las Vegas. Apart from the winery, there's the Motel and a General Store not much else!

image.thumb.jpeg.78baac21535deacf79924d19eb2e60fa.jpeg

The brilliant wine maker himself Mark Summerfield - Liquid Gold! Time to fill up the Panniers and head for home. The bike just loves Reds!

Mark and the winery staff know me as "The Red Baron". The VFR and my wine pickups have featured in one of the Wine Club newsletters.

I've made eight wine travel canisters out of 90mm PVC storm water pipe with a solid cap on one end. I roll up each bottle with bubble wrap then slide it into one of the canisters, I can fit up to 4 bottles in each of the pannier internal bags and haven't had a breakage yet. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0c1883bfd01956321bf676889363a0b6.jpeg

Very good news, to hear you’re doing well, and managed a “little” ride. There is probably almost enough gas left in the Viffer to go back and get some more vino, 8 can’t be enough.

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Unlike Sweeper, I am a big wine drinker and Grum 350+ km for 8 bottles - you need to get your priorities right. Maybe a trailer next time!

More seriously, great to have you back on medium to full throttle. There are so many of us here who have benefited from your tremendous advice and, often, patience with our electrical incompetence. You really are one of VFRDs masters. Best wishes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Grum, it's good to hear you are doing well.  Great idea for the wine transport...

I'm not much on wine myself,  but a good porter or stout...

Very best wishes.

• Thanks 2

Glad to hear you are doing well and are able to ride again, @Grum !!  🙂

Great idea for a way of transporting bottles without breakage!  I may have to do the same but on a more limited basis with bourbon during my next ride to Kentucky.  👍

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/13/2023 at 1:34 AM, Grum said:

It's been around 18 months or so

Sorry to hear that you've had to lay off biking for so long. Looks like you picked a perfect day, weather-wise, as well as some lovely, scenic roads.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Lets see, by my calculation, you are getting 43 kilometers per bottle (750ml) of really good red wine. By adding a tail bag, top box, or back pack (4 bottles) you could decrease that kpb (kilometers per bottle) to 28.5 and make 33%  fewer trips. The enviromentolists would bow at your feet. Right?

In all seriousness, great to have you back mate. None of us here really know what it took for you to be able make this post, but I bet it was a lot more than the few sentences you provided. All that and back in the saddle says a lot, well done!

Your expertise was missed by more than me me around here, I look forward to to reading more of your posts in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

@Grum

Good to hear you beat it, couldn't have been a good time for you.

On the positive side you can ride again so things are on the up! 

I also enjoy your posts and expertise on here, even though most of them just confuse me - electrics!

Enjoy the wine 🍷 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, Presson said:

Unlike Sweeper, I am a big wine drinker and Grum 350+ km for 8 bottles - you need to get your priorities right. Maybe a trailer next time!

More seriously, great to have you back on medium to full throttle. There are so many of us here who have benefited from your tremendous advice and, often, patience with our electrical incompetence. You really are one of VFRDs masters. Best wishes.

What he said.

My FiL recently 'beat' cancer, it is doable and all our best wishes are with you m8.

I have benefitted from your wise counsel on numerous occasions so I wish I could pop a cork with you and raise a glass. Maybe one day. So good to see you out on the bike again.

• Thanks 1