New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

I would prefer to produce the centerstand stops in batches if I can - what's the latest potential need for stops looking like? 

Hey Seb,

I know it is for 6th gens but my 5th gen mid-pipe doesn’t have a stop.  What does it mount to and could I use it on a 5th gen?

Russ

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Hey Seb,

I know it is for 6th gens but my 5th gen mid-pipe doesn’t have a stop.  What does it mount to and could I use it on a 5th gen?

Russ

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Looking at my 5th and 6th gens side by side, at least from what I can see this will not work on the 5th g.  It does not have the long hex head bolt (standard size instead) and even if one were swapped in, the cushion (Honda's term for the shock mount) does not protrude out far enough past the bolt head for this to have anything to push against (that is the adjustment screw would be outside the shock mount itself). 

As I need something for my 5th gen, I hope someone can prove me very wrong (please! :smile:) as if it will work, I'm in for one. 

1534374113_5thgenCS.thumb.jpg.1d9c12b570cef4a54c99c2f0f7bd6877.jpg

• Member Contributer

FYI Seb, six of the current production run of headers are intended for 6th gen VFRs. The sixth six gen’s sixth sick sheik etc etc

• Member Contributer

One of those 6th Gen headers is mine and the centre stand was one of the first things I removed from my bike, so I won't be needing a stop.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Update - we picked up the current batch of 5/6 gen headers earlier this week.

Wade built 3 extra sets of 5/6 gen headers, so if anyone who already has headers and has installed them let a fellow VFR owner try their bike and it did for them what it did for me when I first rode a 5 gen with tuned Two Brothers headers, just point them over here. Yes, the previous sentence is a savage example of untethered run-on.

Plus there are still 3 sets of 8 gen headers available. One of these 8 gen headers has been optimized for a front radiator conversion on a 5th or 6th gen. This one set of 5/6/8 gen headers has 2 additional O2 sensor bungs in OEM 5/6 gen locations.

The seventeen headers for VFRD members were dropped off for passivating. Here they are on pallets, eagerly awaiting their refreshing nitric acid dip. Should be through the process in a week:

32E521AB-BCF4-4D69-B81B-D1D5299E75C8.jpeg.6e21e47212a4eecf2376189419f2ce88.jpeg

Like the song says ‘And a little bit closer now’:

14E22614-5A4A-454E-97AA-58B063153039.jpeg.53552c91e255620bc65d600718f525cf.jpeg

Below are the J-pipes (rear cylinder primaries). The shorter J-pipes at the top of the photo are for cylinder #3 right rear, and the longer J-pipes at the bottom of the photo are for cylinder #1 left rear:

E7E60B4A-86B4-42B0-AA43-B42B9F91FC20.jpeg.47a94aa6d8a3a34c555a5d154331675d.jpeg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SEBSPEED said:

I'll see about getting another batch going. Looking into 5th gen fitment.

Well I know it's feasible, as that's where I first saw the left side center stand stop, it was on my friends 2001. Question is, what's involved? I have no doubt you have a handle on this!

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Update - we picked up the current batch of 5/6 gen headers earlier this week.

One of these 8 gen headers has been optimized for a front radiator conversion on a 5th or 6th gen. This one set of 5/6/8 gen headers has 2 additional O2 sensor bungs in OEM 5/6 gen locations.

PM sent...

• Member Contributer
On 8/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, Rush2112 said:

I’m glad to be back.  I can’t wait get back and ride the Smokies again...  eastern TN is where I wanted to move to for the riding but the wife wanted Florida.

... so we moved to Florida lol

i look forward to getting back and connecting! I’ll definitely look you up when I’m in the area!

Im actually a couple of hundred miles closer with my new address than I was riding from STL

Good to see the art of compromise is not lost on your marriage either.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 3/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I'll see about getting another batch going. Looking into 5th gen fitment.

Tried to help you out with some fab info but the 5th gen bikes we can access right now have 6th gen cushions on them for updated rear sets....still looking.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Tried to help you out with some fab info but the 5th gen bikes we can access right now have 6th gen cushions on them for updated rear sets....still looking.

Thanks for checking. I might just swap in a 6th gen cushion and get rear sets and quick shifter in the process

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Ok, thx

• Member Contributer

On 6/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, Cogswell said:

Has it been confirmed that the splayed 8th gen tubes will clear 6th gen bodywork?  My gut reaction is that they should ,  but it would be a major bummer to have them and find out otherwise.  

On 6/24/2019 at 7:25 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I'm 99% sure the oem 8g  front pipes will clear, based on studying pictures and judging where the pipes are in relation to the motor.

It remains to be seen if Wade's pipes will leave enough clearance. I do have a plan A and B roughed out, just in case.

Have the new 8G pipes been test fitted to a 5G to confirm they'll fit under the stock body work?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've got the 8th gen headers fitted to my 6th gen with the 5th gen engine.

There is heaps of clearance between the headers and the fairings.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, Neo2122 said:

Soooo uh why did we have to remove the center stand..? The pipes go right through it without removing it... Unless I'm missing something here....a90d239bafb043e1c319c837e1602e86.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I'm curious if anyone here has done this with the 8th gen version.  The gap between the #3 rear tube and the collector is just a touch under 3/4 inch - while the upright on the center stand is 1 inch material.  I don't want to bend the tube that much, and while I'm no 98 pound weakling, neither am I Schwarzenegger - it's a tough fit. That leaves removing the C-stand.  Is that the only option?  Not the end of the world - just hoping there's a more elegant solution.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I'm curious if anyone here has done this with the 8th gen version.  The gap between the #3 rear tube and the collector is just a touch under 3/4 inch - while the upright on the center stand is 1 inch material.  I don't want to bend the tube that much, and while I'm no 98 pound weakling, neither am I Schwarzenegger - it's a tough fit. That leaves removing the C-stand.  Is that the only option?  Not the end of the world - just hoping there's a more elegant solution.

The cross member on the c stand is slightly narrow than the upright, if that helps any ,  and cant remember which, 5g or 6g, it is possible to cut some (1/2"-3/4"? Ymmv) off the end of the collector.

NFI on 8g c stand fitment

• Like 1

New member here that has read lots and is excited by the idea of getting a set of these headers for my 2007 6th gen. I'd like to keep my centerstand and upgrade from a stock ECU to a Power Commander, probably just downloading a map. I'm running gutted stock pipes and have done the pair/flapper mods. I'd love to here from whomever is taking orders, woo-hoo Trump bucks

On 3/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, HighSideNZ said:

I've got the 8th gen headers fitted to my 6th gen with the 5th gen engine.

There is heaps of clearance between the headers and the fairings.

Phil

Do you have a photo of them installed without the fairings? 

• Member Contributer

I haven't seen this previously - for anyone interested in these but siting on the fence, below is the #3 tube next to the OEM 6th gen equivalent.   It's one thing to have the diameter measurement, but visually the difference is striking. 

image.thumb.png.638645123c27f44dcd11c2f6ee944db5.png

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Always interested but just cannot afford the cost to ship to Australia. As my father always said ‘don’t worry about the length it’s the width that matters!!’

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
On 3/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, Marooncobra said:

Always interested but just cannot afford the cost to ship to Australia. As my father always said ‘don’t worry about the length it’s the width that matters!!’

Well, you may think that shipping to Australia is too expensive, there are a few companies, and I can say now that we have shipped to Oz a few times already! Go to https://www.myus.com/ and sign up with an account and they will give you a US address that we can ship to for much less than direct to you. The previous folks we sent to, the US shipping charge was under $100, If I recall correctly. What it cost from there to you, that is something you would need to investigate. But as an example of shipping direct from us to you, it's in the realm of $600-$800, so the savings is huge.

• Member Contributer

OK folks, my bad but I'm sure I will be forgiven shortly. I was supposed to update everyone who bought headers yesterday that their package was dropped off at FedEx and should be on its way to them. Unfortunately this applies only to the domestic shipments, as we use the USPS for international shipments (much cheaper) but getting to the Post Office has been a challenge (see below). Rest assured we will do our very best to get ALL shipments out this week.

I'm multi-tasking at the moment, as I'm working from home, like I typically do ironically, but for some reason today and yesterday got real busy with conference phone calls, emails and support calls. So I may not get you a PM with your tracking number until later today.

That being said, stay safe and healthy and let's hope this pandemic will blow over soon!

Cheers,

D

• Like 2