Jump to content
weee06

What did you do to your VFR Today?

Recommended Posts

Hi Pete,

 

Enjoy the (1st post lockdown?) ride!

 

Do post up with a picture so we know you truly exist:fing02:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Pete, I am sure you will enjoy your VFR and this forum. I am sure you will get lots of advice on how to lighten your bike.     I need to lighten myself before I start worrying about my eighth gen 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 12:43 AM, petarm said:

Hi everybody, new to this forum but what I did today is get my 2000 VFR800Fi back on the road🙌
 

I purchased the bike 3years ago, always wanted to try a V4 engine but it needed some tlc so it’s done very little roadwork recently, but hopefully that’ll now change and my trusty Transalp can now have some much needed R&R for its 65000miles of diligent service.

 

since getting the VFR, it’s needed tyres, new rear shock (Hagon), front forks service and EBC front rota’s. Time to stop spending and start riding.

 

i hope to get lots of info on how to make the VFR better (read lighter!!) from this forum and will post bits and pieces I do if people are interested.

 

Pete

Petarm, welcome to the asylum. We'd love to see a picture of your machine to prove you are not a figment of our imagination.

 

May I suggest you check your steering head bearings. Every one of my five fifth gens needed them, some with as little as 25,000 miles on the odo. Replace with tapered roller bearings.

 

To check them, with the bike on the centerstand and the front end off the ground (I put a foundation brick on my pillion) slowly move the forks from lock to lock. If you detect a detent in the center, the bearing are shot.

 

Good luck with your R&R and ride safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MaxSwell, yep head bearings were buggered too but I replaced them soon after buying the bike as they would have failed the MOT. 
 

I’ve had a play-around with the front suspension (now 3full turns out from fully in) and softened the preload on the Hagon rear shock. It felt much better but still isn’t quite there yet.....I’m using it to commute for the majority of this week so should clock a few hundred test miles up and will post how I get on.
 

Also, I’ve raised the forks to 45mm through the yokes (factory is 39mm) and also lifted the clip-ons tight under the spring-rings on the forks which has allowed me to swivel the clip-ons outwards. Both these changes have helped me feel a lot more for what the front tyre is now doing, which is nice!
 

pete

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got word from Powerbronze that my screen and hugger arrived in Melbourne and are now in the post on there way to me    ( no Aust Post jokes I work for them 😄) Also just ordered a Cardo Freecom 4 plus ( JBL speaker’s) ordered from Chromeburner as even with postage it is a $100 cheaper than I can get it for in Oz. It was in FedEx’s hands less than 12 hrs after I ordered it. My cheapie Fodsports intercom is starting to cut out halfway through a ride so time for a upgrade.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, MaxSwell said:

I think there is a short metal backing piece under the chain guard, nearly impossible to see or reach into which the screw goes. I'll have to go out and have another look but I remember having a heck of a time getting that attached in the past. I'll update later.

Yes, metal backing plate recessed under the chain guard, have to remove the guard from the swing arm (secured by push/pins) and reach under while threading the small bolts. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MarcOtt said:

Yes, metal backing plate recessed under the chain guard, have to remove the guard from the swing arm (secured by push/pins) and reach under while threading the small bolts. 

Many Thanks to you both. I ended up removing the metal bracket, screwing the bolt through the chain  guard to the metal bracket, and hammer it down as it looks like it was loose, at least now it's staying there 😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone

Not today, but last Saturday I had a blast with our beloved VFR at Estoril Circuit 😃

Below link for the videos if you would like to "take a ride with me" 😈

 

Can't wait to go back with the new headers, and win a bit more time on the straights 😃

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitted this neat little white LED waterproof Voltmeter to the bottom of the GPS mount on my 8gen. Previous 3 wire voltmeter had died. 14.5v charging (when measured at battery) allowing for the 200mv drop through the wiring, 14.3 at the meter.

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropped the bloody thing wheeling it back into the garage, caught the back of my shirt on the handlebar of my mountain bike and it pulled me off balance. Fortunately it went towards me not away and I managed to stop it but still managed somehow to snap off the mirror stem. Managed to get a used replacement on ebay but couldn't get to the electric connectors without taking all the side plastics off, what a pain! All sorted now.

 

 

2020-06-16 broken mirror, fairings off.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sjit heppenz.....   😐

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All who are interested, I've moved my suspension queries into the 5th Gen forum in the below:

 

The bugger is still causing me concern.........

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Dropped the bloody thing wheeling it back into the garage, caught the back of my shirt on the handlebar of my mountain bike and it pulled me off balance. Fortunately it went towards me not away and I managed to stop it but still managed somehow to snap off the mirror stem. Managed to get a used replacement on ebay but couldn't get to the electric connectors without taking all the side plastics off, what a pain! All sorted now.

 

 

2020-06-16 broken mirror, fairings off.jpg

I read that you had dropped the bike and them quickly glanced at the pictures and thought "Oh no, expensive" fortunately I read on, it's all for access. 

 

Still not a good feeling, but at least you got away with it relatively well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, Philois1984 said:

Just got word from Powerbronze that my screen and hugger arrived in Melbourne and are now in the post on there way to me    ( no Aust Post jokes I work for them 😄) Also just ordered a Cardo Freecom 4 plus ( JBL speaker’s) ordered from Chromeburner as even with postage it is a $100 cheaper than I can get it for in Oz. It was in FedEx’s hands less than 12 hrs after I ordered it. My cheapie Fodsports intercom is starting to cut out halfway through a ride so time for a upgrade.

 

Am definitely interested to find out how you like the Cardo after you get some rides in, and not necessarily connected to other riders... i was looking at the Packtalk Bold w/JBL but it's A LOT more money.  I really want to know how good the audio is (for music, and travel instructions), how effective the wind-noise cancellation is, and how responsive it is to voice commands directly to the Cardo or your mobile device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Goldcrown44 said:

Am definitely interested to find out how you like the Cardo after you get some rides in, and not necessarily connected to other riders... i was looking at the Packtalk Bold w/JBL but it's A LOT more money.  I really want to know how good the audio is (for music, and travel instructions), how effective the wind-noise cancellation is, and how responsive it is to voice commands directly to the Cardo or your mobile device. 

I am heading off on a 5 day ride in the middle of July, the mate I am travelling with has a M1-S Pro from Fodsports. I rarely ride in  multiple rider groups so I am mainly concerned with the music quality, rider to rider voice quality and ease of use using voice commands. At this stage I don’t use navigation devices so can’t help you there. Like you the Pactalk Bold seemed a lot of money. Will keep you posted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone. Pretty new to the group. Recently picked up a 2014. This will be my third VFR and since April I've put almost 5000km on her. Love the way she rides and sings for me . List of mods is pretty small as of right now, bit looking to change it the chain and sprocket for faster acceleration. What's everyone running in their 8gen? I've also gutted the exhaust, not sure if I'm sticking with it, or changing it up. Big plans for lots of mods. Hahaha52384a789afac6083b8070332cacc4f8.jpgae03ecaf7be9d191d88f7b50a9006665.jpgd8eb8bfff4c86688f0d7ff5837f4630c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a family crest on the side?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped on the way home to mark a milestone...

 

 

2020-07-19_18_49.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rode it to the picturesque village of Finchingfield, well known to bikers in the East of England, with the Honda Owners Club Essex Branch in the Sunday sun!

 

Photo by Toni Teuntje Harris

 

 

2020-08-09_7.1 Essex HOC at Finchingfield.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Rode it to the picturesque village of Finchingfield, well known to bikers in the East of England, with the Honda Owners Club Essex Branch in the Sunday sun!

 

Photo by Toni Teuntje Harris

 

 

2020-08-09_7.1 Essex HOC at Finchingfield.jpg

It's a bit waaaaaarm for riding at the mo. Unless yr up at 5am that is.

 

4 days of low 90's is great but not for biking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Skids said:

It's a bit waaaaaarm for riding at the mo. Unless yr up at 5am that is.

 

4 days of low 90's is great but not for biking.

🐱🐥......

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

🐱🐥......

 

 

 

 

Yup. Guilty as charged, M'lud. :laugh:

 

You can't seriously enjoy riding in these temps? It's like someone is stood in front of you with a huge hairdryer, blowing hot air all over you. Which is fine whilst yr a bit sweaty, but as soon as it's all evaporated, yr just left toasting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Skids said:

Yup. Guilty as charged, M'lud. :laugh:

 

You can't seriously enjoy riding in these temps? It's like someone is stood in front of you with a huge hairdryer, blowing hot air all over you. Which is fine whilst yr a bit sweaty, but as soon as it's all evaporated, yr just left toasting. 


You obviously haven’t ridden much in California  .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.