Recall Update

lshark

• Member Contributer

John, I think they're getting every 1200 in and fitting standard replacement parts until the new parts are in stock. That way, you've effectively got a new rear drive which should reduce any risk until the new parts are available. If they had waited until the replacement parts came into stock and someone meantime had had an accident, they could have been liable.

Just a thought. :beer:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I get that. My point is that they aren't treating one market over the other due to particular legal systems (as suggested above, even if it was in jest). We're a blame claim culture as well now, don't forget! I think they're targeting smaller customer bases first then hitting bigger customer bases when they have more stock. I know I'd be a bit miffed if someone in Manchester got a proper replacement part but I had to wait 3 months for example.

• Member Contributer

No, I get that. My point is that they aren't treating one market over the other due to particular legal systems (as suggested above, even if it was in jest). We're a blame claim culture as well now, don't forget! I think they're targeting smaller customer bases first then hitting bigger customer bases when they have more stock. I know I'd be a bit miffed if someone in Manchester got a proper replacement part but I had to wait 3 months for example.

I suspect you are correct. I would imagine Honda Japan have given some broad & some detailed direction and it's up to individual national Honda subsidiaries to organise it, within Honda Japans' bounds, as they please.

I got the new drive shaft today! My dealer in the Netherlands (Goedhart, big Honda dealer) just got a delivery of new drive shafts for the 1200's. It only took them 45 minutes to change the drive shafts. Ready for the summer!

Why oh why be concerned about the corrosion, its only surface rust, the problem with the shaft is the UJ, nothing else. Blimey if you think that's rusty, you should have a look underneath a British car, if you think that props bad.

I just don't want there to be corrosion. Starts to make weaker points in the shaft, more prone to cracking

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yeah...surface corrosion so roughly -0.005 mm tops...this has to have a negative effect of your power and handling...-50HP rouglhy...uhmm.... :fing02::huh:

Photo of the new one?

Pg. 3 post #24 (new part number)

At page 3 post #24 there is nothing. New part number where?

On post #23 there is the photo of a shaft identical to the old one.

In Europe Honda is stating that the new shaft is still not produced and they are installing the old one on bikes that have problems.

Yep, on German forum the reckon they already had a new version installed...but in other countries in EU Honda said - no new model before March.

The guy from page 3 had the OLD one installed - he cant have a new one as it was not even manufactured yet...as he posted that a month ago.

Not possible, sorry...

I said nothing about power loss. I'm saying fracturing of the shaft under pressure. I've seen a lot less do a lot of damage in my field of work, so let's not argue this. All I'm talking about is preventing this. I don't care how infinitesimal the pitting is, I want it corrected and prevented.

I had mine done yesterday. I never looked under the bike but can now see where water may enter into the driveshaft. The driveshaft cover has small gaps between the swingarm and the cover itself. Maybe I will use duct tape around this area to prevent water from entering this area.

Why oh why be concerned about the corrosion, its only surface rust, the problem with the shaft is the UJ, nothing else. Blimey if you think that's rusty, you should have a look underneath a British car, if you think that props bad.

I just don't want there to be corrosion. Starts to make weaker points in the shaft, more prone to cracking

Yeah...surface corrosion so roughly -0.005 mm tops...this has to have a negative effect of your power and handling...-50HP rouglhy...uhmm.... :fing02::huh:

Photo of the new one?

In Europe Honda is stating that the new shaft is still not produced and they are installing the old one on bikes that have problems.

Yep, on German forum the reckon they already had a new version installed...but in other countries in EU Honda said - no new model before March.

The guy from page 3 had the OLD one installed - he cant have a new one as it was not even manufactured yet...as he posted that a month ago.

Not possible, sorry...

I said nothing about power loss. I'm saying fracturing of the shaft under pressure. I've seen a lot less do a lot of damage in my field of work, so let's not argue this. All I'm talking about is preventing this. I don't care how infinitesimal the pitting is, I want it corrected and prevented.

I had mine done yesterday. I never looked under the bike but can now see where water may enter into the driveshaft. The driveshaft cover has small gaps between the swingarm and the cover itself. Maybe I will use duct tape around this area to prevent water from entering this area.
I'm putting aluminum tape on mine actually.

• Member Contributer

Photo of the new one?

Not possible, sorry...

Are those gaps for water to drain? Water is very sneaky and will find a way in if you ride while it is raining.

Perhaps you underestimate the sneakiness.

ConerCarver, you have a good point about water drainage. No matter how waterproof MC clothes are, in heavy rainfall it always finds the weakest point and at times get wet. Weak points examples neck, sleeves, jacket not long enough etc.

Just picked mine up today also, recall complete. Took about 3 weeks to get the shaft assy kit, pn 06400-MGE-306.

Which dealership did you use? I'm in the Portland area also and need to pick one.

Lanpheres Beaverton Honda Yamaha, only rode it a few miles home but overall happy with the experience.

• Member Contributer

Photo of the new one?

Not possible, sorry...

Are those gaps for water to drain? Water is very sneaky and will find a way in if you ride while it is raining.

Perhaps you underestimate the sneakiness.

I will put aluminum tape on the top half or 3/4, and leave it off the bottom for water to drain..............if it has gaps at the bottom.............

• Member Contributer

Just had my propeller shaft recall done. We compared parts and there was a difference in the weight and seemed to be a slight design change. Should have taken photos but forgot... Nothing looked out of ordinary on old propeller shaft, but the grease was all but gone at the front U joint. Bike "feels" much tighter, but that is a subjective thought as I can't truly remember what it "felt" like new.

I'm going to pick mine up now. I have an hour ride back in London traffic so will film it and blurb my thoughts

Great news... do you have a YouTube channel or are you going to upload to here.? i have the YouTube channel Flaming T (same symbol) where i post my vids.

Hey,

So I was a dopey pillock and forgot to take the memory card out of my laptop (I was looking through some footage). But anyway, it doesn't matter as the only difference it's made is the horrible clunking/grinding sound that was there previously is gone. I didn't ask to see the old shaft but the assistant advised me it was obliterated and the only one they'd seen in that state. My bike is incredibly smooth so the drive has no difference, it's just the noise is now completely gone.

I took the time to change the brake fluids today as well as the rear brake was a dark piss colour, gross. I noticed that when I changed the fluid up front, the dragging sound disappeared from the brakes when rolling the bike around. I went out for a ride through the city and when I got back, the dragging sound had returned. Very odd. It brakes nicely though so I'm not complaining.

Fuel economy is officially absolute shit on these bikes. TBH it's not a surprise as it's a big heavy lump with big power. I got a smidge over 60 miles to a full tank. Pretty much every last drop of that was commuting traffic, but I would have expected at least 100 miles to the tank in traffic. Anyone else encountered this?

• Member Contributer

Fuel economy is officially absolute shit on these bikes. TBH it's not a surprise as it's a big heavy lump with big power. I got a smidge over 60 miles to a full tank. Pretty much every last drop of that was commuting traffic, but I would have expected at least 100 miles to the tank in traffic. Anyone else encountered this?

This should be a different thread so as to not side track this one but, something is wrong with your motorcycle if you are only getting 60 miles on one tank. That's like 15 mpg.

I've got over 100 fill ups on my VFR and nearly all of those are over 200 miles on a tank. I am averaging nearly 50mpg as you can see from my fuelly badge below. I'd have to look through the data but I think the furthest I've gone on one tank was nearly 230 miles.

I'm starting a new thread about this so this one doesn't get derailed.

Honda advised me it'd be a few months before the actual replacement part is available.

Just picked mine up today also, recall complete. Took about 3 weeks to get the shaft assy kit, pn 06400-MGE-306.

Which dealership did you use? I'm in the Portland area also and need to pick one.

Same Part number received here.

Received my recall letter from Honda UK today....only 2 weeks after having had the 'inspection' by my dealer! Makes me wonder if the inspection report sent to Honda UK by the dealer has prompted them to send the letter (am I being cynical?).

VFR1200F (2010-2015YM) & VFR1200X (2012-2015YM)

The letter explains that there are 2 parts to the recall:

Part one will be an inspection and replacement, if required, with a current specification drive shaft. Part two will be the replacement of the drive shaft with a countermeasure part even if it was replaced during part one of this campaign. You will receive another notification letter when part two is launched.

I have copied this from the letter so that there is no confusion about the Recall details, particularly for the owners who have not had the letter yet.

Archived