Recall Update

lshark

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shafts (new and old) are identical, I think that only the bearing seals are different.

Are you sure that the shaft in the photo is the new one and not only a temporary replacement as suggested in the recall?

I'll call tomorrow and check just to be sure.

Mine's booked in at a dealer in London for 20th Feb (can't get it to them any sooner) so will report back then. They do an inspection first and foremost then do the repair if required.

• Member Contributer

Mine's booked in at a dealer in London for 20th Feb (can't get it to them any sooner) so will report back then. They do an inspection first and foremost then do the repair if required.

From what I've read they replace the parts no matter what the inspection reveals and that an inspection was available if you were in doubt whether you could continue to keep riding while waiting for parts to arrive. That was my interpretation anyway.

• Member Contributer

I just saw on the news that one of the mechanics at the dealer where I was going to take my bike for service, murdered another mechanic. I think I will book it somewhere else, as there is no way I could be 100% focused on my tasks if something like that happened where I worked. At least not for awhile............

• Member Contributer

I just saw on the news that one of the mechanics at the dealer where I was going to take my bike for service, murdered another mechanic. I think I will book it somewhere else, as there is no way I could be 100% focused on my tasks if something like that happened where I worked. At least not for awhile............

Damn.

• Member Contributer

Wow . . .

• Member Contributer

Have just corresponded with my local Honda dealer; they will take the bike in for inspection. If the part is required, they will order and fit it. If the order is delayed, you can leave the bike with them or take it back until the part is in.

• Member Contributer

Have just corresponded with my local Honda dealer; they will take the bike in for inspection. If the part is required, they will order and fit it. If the order is delayed, you can leave the bike with them or take it back until the part is in.

This seems to be a different approach than US dealers. Here, most seem to be told that once the part arrives they will be called to bring the bike in for part replacement and that replacing the part is not inspection dependent. The recall states that anyone bringing their bike in prior to parts arrival for inspection will have a "pre-remedy" part installed as a temporary measure until the replacement drive shaft is available and at that point will bring the bike back for the shaft to be replaced. The US recall is not ambiguous, all shafts are to be replaced regardless of inspection.

• Member Contributer

More from my local Honda dealer:

My apologies for the delay responding,

Countermeasure parts are not expected to be available for the recall until the end of March, until this time to ensure safe and continued use Honda have released a two phase recall.

The first phase is to inspect the shaft, if the shaft passes then the bike is safe to ride and another inspection scheduled for 6000 miles, if it fails the inspection then the shaft is replaced with a pre-countermeasured part.

When sufficient stock is available phase 2 will be launched in which all affected bikes will have the shaft replaced with a new countermeasured part.

If you are not using the machine then I would suggest waiting to see if phase 2 is launched before you return, we can then arrange collection and delivery of the bike for your convenience.

If however you would like the bike inspected sooner we can arrange to collect from Tuesday February 9th

I hope this explains the current recall situation

Kind regards

• Member Contributer

Wow . . .

I bet everybody else puts his dam screwdrivers back in the right drawer next time.

The shafts (new and old) are identical, I think that only the bearing seals are different.

Are you sure that the shaft in the photo is the new one and not only a temporary replacement as suggested in the recall?

The dealer changed the part today, he said it was the remedy part so I should be ok. He's going to hold on to the old part until I pick up the bike tomorrow. I'll take some pic's of the old part too, don't know if the difference will be noticeable or not to the eye but I'll take them anyway.

Damn.

was he beaten with a propeller shaft ???

For mikep

Be sure that the shaft is the new one.

All the other dealers are confirming that new shaft will be not available until March

I think that's only in Europe, part availability is sooner for US customers. The dealer said it was the remedy part so what else can I do. He also had another part come in today for a different customer. I would be curious to know what the difference is between the countermeasure and remedy part, to me it would be a lot of wasted money on Honda's part just to do this countermeasure thing since it's such a substantial part. I got the bike back today and everything seems fine. I couldn't see any difference in the parts so I don't know what the difference is and the dealer really didn't know either.

the original recall notice said that the part was improperly assembled......Honda offered to install an original part that was inspected and determined to be assembled correctly for owners who were inconvenienced by waiting for remedy parts to become available,......they would then install the remedy parts when available......Honda is doing all that they can to keep owners happy

the original recall notice said that the part was improperly assembled....

It's the next bit, "even if assembled correctly it may not have the specified durability as a result of manufacturing errors",

that concerns.

Happy to note, that the dealership I'm working with just ordered the replacement part and will call to schedule install.

Talking with the service mgr. they just started the VFR recall service so I'll probably be the 2nd-3rd one done there.

My dealer called yesterday, after two days, and advised the part was in, I am booked for next week. Props to Central Maine Powersports, Service looked up original part number, and confirmed part in hand is a new part number. Fingers crossed it's the right fix, will be running 170 again at Loring in three months!

Well, it's February 1 in another day...still not a peep from the local dealer since I contacted them a month ago. I'm am on the wait list for the fancy new driveline parts.

This is a ridiculously long time to 'ground' the bike voluntarily. The thought of the rear locking up at any speed is disconcerting.

I have 'cheated' a bit... and rode it a couple of times around the block to keep the battery up.

I live in a area (not by accident!) that allows year-round riding, Monterey CA area. It was almost 70 deg F a couple of days ago.

Rather than take out my favorite bike, I had to ride a lesser motorcycle in my stable.

That just has to be OK for me to accept, but what about someone that only has one motorcycle?

NO offer to pick up or deliver the bike from my stealership.... it's up to me to do that, and that's damn inconvenient.

Requires me to have my wife follow me on the limping bike in her car to the dealer.

They fix it hopefully, and then 'repeat the process' in reverse with one angry wife... certainly not 'Lexus' customer treatment, although the VFR1200 is certainly priced like one!

BLIGHT

• Member Contributer

Well, it's February 1 in another day...still not a peep from the local dealer since I contacted them a month ago. I'm am on the wait list for the fancy new driveline parts.

This is a ridiculously long time to 'ground' the bike voluntarily. The thought of the rear locking up at any speed is disconcerting.

I have 'cheated' a bit... and rode it a couple of times around the block to keep the battery up.

I live in a area (not by accident!) that allows year-round riding, Monterey CA area. It was almost 70 deg F a couple of days ago.

Rather than take out my favorite bike, I had to ride a lesser motorcycle in my stable.

That just has to be OK for me to accept, but what about someone that only has one motorcycle?

NO offer to pick up or deliver the bike from my stealership.... it's up to me to do that, and that's damn inconvenient.

Requires me to have my wife follow me on the limping bike in her car to the dealer.

They fix it hopefully, and then 'repeat the process' in reverse with one angry wife... certainly not 'Lexus' customer treatment, although the VFR1200 is certainly priced like one!

BLIGHT

I don't really understand why you are not riding your VFR. The failures have been few and far between. The risk is near zero IMO. Certainly the risk of a broken drive shaft is much less than most of the other risks a motorcycle faces. As I have said before, the fact that Honda is doing a full model run recall on this at their expense for such a limited number of failures is to be commended. I've been riding every day.

Archived