Recall Update

lshark

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Called my go to dealer, gave them the VIN etc and they told me the parts would be ordered and they would call me back to set up a time when they get the parts. No mention that I should not ride it. I would believe if Honda NA really thought this issue was as serious as some on here seem to think, they would issue a STOP ride order like BMW did on the new wethead RT's when they came out. Short of that I see no reason you can't ride your VFR.

my 2010 had 45,000 miles on it without incident or any sign of u joint problems....it's a crap shoot....take your chances.....my dealer recommended not riding it, and since we had 2 feet of snow last weekend i'll wait, they're picking it up on Tuesday

• Member Contributer

Mine is done! The guys at Action Powersports in Waukesha, WI did a great job! Highly recommended!

Can you notice any difference in how it feels/rides?

• Member Contributer

Well, it's February 1 in another day...still not a peep from the local dealer since I contacted them a month ago. I'm am on the wait list for the fancy new driveline parts.

This is a ridiculously long time to 'ground' the bike voluntarily. The thought of the rear locking up at any speed is disconcerting.

I have 'cheated' a bit... and rode it a couple of times around the block to keep the battery up.

I live in a area (not by accident!) that allows year-round riding, Monterey CA area. It was almost 70 deg F a couple of days ago.

Rather than take out my favorite bike, I had to ride a lesser motorcycle in my stable.

That just has to be OK for me to accept, but what about someone that only has one motorcycle?

NO offer to pick up or deliver the bike from my stealership.... it's up to me to do that, and that's damn inconvenient.

Requires me to have my wife follow me on the limping bike in her car to the dealer.

They fix it hopefully, and then 'repeat the process' in reverse with one angry wife... certainly not 'Lexus' customer treatment, although the VFR1200 is certainly priced like one!

BLIGHT

All of those things should be taken into consideration when choosing which dealership to purchase your next new bike from. The recall states to bring the bike in for inspection. If the prop shaft fails inspection a new same part will be installed so that you can use your bike.

When the counter measure part is available you will be called to reschedule an additional visit to have that part installed. If you do not want to do this then the lack of having your VFR available is on you.

If your dealer does not want to do this I am quite sure the regional Honda rep would like to discuss his responsibilities with them.

Well, it's February 1 in another day...still not a peep from the local dealer since I contacted them a month ago. I'm am on the wait list for the fancy new driveline parts.

This is a ridiculously long time to 'ground' the bike voluntarily. The thought of the rear locking up at any speed is disconcerting.

I have 'cheated' a bit... and rode it a couple of times around the block to keep the battery up.

I live in a area (not by accident!) that allows year-round riding, Monterey CA area. It was almost 70 deg F a couple of days ago.

Rather than take out my favorite bike, I had to ride a lesser motorcycle in my stable.

That just has to be OK for me to accept, but what about someone that only has one motorcycle?

NO offer to pick up or deliver the bike from my stealership.... it's up to me to do that, and that's damn inconvenient.

Requires me to have my wife follow me on the limping bike in her car to the dealer.

They fix it hopefully, and then 'repeat the process' in reverse with one angry wife... certainly not 'Lexus' customer treatment, although the VFR1200 is certainly priced like one!

BLIGHT

All of those things should be taken into consideration when choosing which dealership to purchase your next new bike from. The recall states to bring the bike in for inspection. If the prop shaft fails inspection a new same part will be installed so that you can use your bike.

When the counter measure part is available you will be called to reschedule an additional visit to have that part installed. If you do not want to do this then the lack of having your VFR available is on you.

If your dealer does not want to do this I am quite sure the regional Honda rep would like to discuss his responsibilities with them.

I bought the bike from a private party with 4500 miles on it. No dealer was involved.

So... Honda's brilliant plan is to put in the same weak part and it's suddenly OK to ride?

Well... at least until the new, improved stronger part comes in March?

Come on... this is just plain foolish. Just don't ride it with the original design shaft whether it's a replacement or the original.

Just be smart folks, and wait until the 'countermeasure' part (i.e. a better, stronger design I would bet) comes, get it installed, and ride safely.

I'm not dropping it off for repair twice..that's ridiculously inconvenient!

This whole thing is being handled very poorly by Honda Motor Corp. on one of their flagship bikes.

BLIGHT

• Member Contributer

BLIGHT

I bought the bike from a private party with 4500 miles on it. No dealer was involved.

So... Honda's brilliant plan is to put in the same weak part and it's suddenly OK to ride?

Come on... this is just plain foolish. Just don't ride it with the original design shaft whether it's a replacement or the original.

Just be smart folks, and wait until the 'countermeasure' part (i.e. a better, stronger design I would bet) comes, get it installed, and ride safely.

This whole thing is being handled very poorly by Honda Motor Corp. on one of their flagship bikes.

BLIGHT

Honda issued a recall for which most never even knew a problem existed. You don't trust their advice to bring your bike in for inspection, why are you trusting the new part is good enough? Member Dae in Korea is the only VFR1200F drive shaft failure I've heard of while many people have put 10's of thousands of miles on their VFR1200 without incident. Not nearly enough instances of failure to consider not riding. IMO

• Member Contributer

BLIGHT

BLIGHT

Honda issued a recall for which most never even knew a problem existed. You don't trust their advice to bring your bike in for inspection, why are you trusting the new part is good enough? Member Dae in Korea is the only VFR1200F drive shaft failure I've heard of while many people have put 10's of thousands of miles on their VFR1200 without incident. Not nearly enough instances of failure to consider not riding. IMO

True this. I've got over 31K miles on mine and no issue with anything mechanical. Of course, since the recall notice, I now hear and feel all sorts of noises and vibrations.

Honda is covering pick up and delivery by my dealer in NJ....i even said that i could trailer it there, but they said,...no, no problem...Honda is paying for it....they are coming today

• Member Contributer

Honda is covering pick up and delivery by my dealer in NJ....i even said that i could trailer it there, but they said,...no, no problem...Honda is paying for it....they are coming today

They've offered to collect & return mine whilst I am away so it must be a global thing.

Still haven't received my notice in the mail...

Have you ran your VIN on the Honda website?

Yup. Website says my bike is part of the recall. I want to get it fixed now, but figure it's best to at least wait until the current blizzard has passed. Preferably, someone here gets the recall done soon and can provide positive/negative feedback.

I can tell you that the Motor Cafe dealer in CA is being very proactive about it. I never got a letter from H, registered transfer of ownership with this dealer and they ran the Vin, ordered the entire shaft replacement part (new part number).

Having it swapped this Saturday. They've done others already...

BLIGHT

BLIGHT

True this. I've got over 31K miles on mine and no issue with anything mechanical. Of course, since the recall notice, I now hear and feel all sorts of noises and vibrations.

I do trust that HONDA knows what they are doing, yet at the same time believe they want to minimize their financial cost and risk exposure to their clients. I'm sure a few heads have rolled at HONDA HQ.

Yes, it's true, I choose not to replace a proven faulty part design with a brand-new faulty-designed part.

It's just a silly thing to do in my opinion, really just a 'band-aid' intermediate patch.

I'm waiting for the final-design part, which I'm sure is undergoing horrible torture-testing in the Honda labs as we speak.

I remember back when Firestone-Bridgestone had a bad design in their automotive tires.

Multiple tread separations and folks were getting killed.

These were OEM tires on many GM, FORD and MOPAR vehicles.

Firestone had a massive recall for owners to come in for replacements.

They didn't put the same new Firestone tires on, and say "Come back again when we have some better ones and we'll fit you up".

They stepped up and offered the customers the option of another brand of tires, or a new set of new Bridgestone tires that were not involved with the recall. That doesn't work in this case, but you can see my line of reasoning... and you needn't agree with me.

This is an open forum where we can all share our experiences, thoughts, opinions, and beliefs.

I'll check back after my VFR1200 is finally fixed.

Good luck to everyone here, and I hope no one else gets hurt with this mechanical issue.

BLIGHT

• Member Contributer

BLIGHT

BLIGHT

I do trust that HONDA knows what they are doing, yet at the same time believe they want to minimize their financial cost and risk exposure to their clients. I'm sure a few heads have rolled at HONDA HQ.

Yes, it's true, I choose not to replace a proven faulty part design with a brand-new faulty-designed part.

It's just a silly thing to do in my opinion, really just a 'band-aid' intermediate patch.

I'm waiting for the final-design part, which I'm sure is undergoing horrible torture-testing in the Honda labs as we speak.

I remember back when Firestone-Bridgestone had a bad design in their automotive tires.

They didn't put the same new Firestone tires on, and say "Come back again when we have some better ones and we'll fit you up".

They stepped up and offered the customers the option of another brand of tires, or a new set of new Bridgestone tires that were not involved with the recall. That doesn't work in this case, but you can see my line of reasoning... and you needn't agree with me.

This is an open forum where we can all share our experiences, thoughts, opinions, and beliefs.

Good luck to everyone here, and I hope no one else gets hurt with this mechanical issue.

BLIGHT

Who has been hurt?

Honda is offering the interim repair to accommodate owners who use their bike as their sole source of transportation.....no one is forcing you to bring your bike in twice....chill out

• Member Contributer

Just got off the phone with Greg at Mach 1 Honda/Yamaha/KTM in Vallejo. I'm set for next Wednesday. They are not picking up the bike, but they are loaning me a Super Adventure for a month, thought that was fair.

The first two sentences of this post are actually true.

• Member Contributer

I can tell you that the Motor Cafe dealer in CA is being very proactive about it. I never got a letter from H, registered transfer of ownership with this dealer and they ran the Vin, ordered the entire shaft replacement part (new part number).

Having it swapped this Saturday. They've done others already...

Either a very good dealer or they are using the recall to pad some slow service time. Either way good for you to have a quality option for service in your area.

BLIGHT

BLIGHT

BLIGHT

Who has been hurt?

I was thinking the same thing. Until I just read a post here on this thread that someone in another country actually had this failure occur I had not heard about it anywhere, and it doesn't mention anything about someone getting hurt Figured Honda was just being proactive with this, seeing there could be potential serious problems. I'll again say that if Honda felt it was really absolutely needed for safety, a STOP ride order would be sent out such as BMW did a couple years ago with the new RT's. Complaining about a dealership you didn't even buy the bike from is a little goofy IMHO. But as stated, its a forum and we all have the right to voice our thoughts even if they seem goofy to some...... :comp13:

Archived