Recall Update

lshark

I checked w/ SJ at Southseas just to be sure that the driveshaft they're installing today is the "real" fix and they assured me it was. Unfortunately I'll have to bus back and forth. No loaners. Results tomorrow.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that might be because things are a bit more litigious on that side of the pond?

I had a look at the shaft out of an affected 2013 bike while in there today, I can't see the problem causing a dangerous lock up. More likely to fail and lose drive I reckon or simply get sloppy and noisy.

• Member Contributer

Mine was checked at my local dealer today. It was given a clean bill of health and will be checked again in 6000 miles or have the new part fitted, whichever comes first.

So you are supposed to have the drive shaft inspected every 6k miles for the duration of ownership?

Mine was checked at my local dealer today. It was given a clean bill of health and will be checked again in 6000 miles or have the new part fitted, whichever comes first.

So you are supposed to have the drive shaft inspected every 6k miles for the duration of ownership?

No, that's just to keep an eye on it until the new parts are available. If the new parts turn up before 6000 miles are clocked up they'll be fitted. Basically, if there's no sign of over heating or excessive wear there's no need to fit the interim part. But it will have the new parts fitted, they said it could be April before they're here though!

Had my shaft replaced yesterday and got a chance to look at two replaced ones. If anything my u-joint was a bit less free than the other replaced shaft. Of course psychologically my bike is much smoother etc.

I had the recall performed on my 2013 VFR last Friday at Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ. I wasn’t surprised to hear that mine was the first 7th Gen recall they had on their schedule; I was very surprised to hear that they had seven more VFR1200’s on their schedule. I didn't think there were eight if the big VFR's in the state. The other owners in the Phoenix area must have come to the same conclusion as me: Western Honda has the most experienced mechanics in the metro area.

Since my bike was their guinea pig, they scheduled three hours for the job, saying that would allow them to take their time. They finished in two, including the test drive, and said the replacement was very straightforward. They installed the "new and improved" shaft, not the "tide you over" old design shaft.

I double-checked their work when I got home and couldn’t find anything to complain about.

So, for all you worriers out there, take heart…your baby will be just fine.

I had the recall performed on my 2013 VFR last Friday at Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ. I wasn’t surprised to hear that mine was the first 7th Gen recall they had on their schedule; I was very surprised to hear that they had seven more VFR1200’s on their schedule. I didn't think there were eight if the big VFR's in the state. The other owners in the Phoenix area must have come to the same conclusion as me: Western Honda has the most experienced mechanics in the metro area.

Since my bike was their guinea pig, they scheduled three hours for the job, saying that would allow them to take their time. They finished in two, including the test drive, and said the replacement was very straightforward. They installed the "new and improved" shaft, not the "tide you over" old design shaft.

I double-checked their work when I got home and couldn’t find anything to complain about.

So, for all you worriers out there, take heart…your baby will be just fine.

Mine is one of the next 7....I called them last week and they told me that someone would contact me once the parts are in. Good to know it only takes a couple hours. +1 on their service department, good guys and I prefer to support the Mom & Pop shops when I can.

they did mine last week, delivering it back here today.....snow and sub freezing temps....i'll let you know how it feels ....sending the forks to DMS first

On and done. Going to test ride Santa Cruz Mtns. With my wing man now.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Old one looked fine...

Ah! But it doesn't look fine! Why the significant corrosion and pitting in the one area around the whole shaft?it's not "even" pitting and corrosion too, so it's not rubbing on anything. I'm NOT satisfied with the way that looks, or the way mine looked

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Not sure what that welded "Sheath" of pipe around the main shaft is all about (anyone?).

But, I imagine the swing arm housing is not water/air tight so with 30+k mi and various weather riding, there it is..

I believe the area of concern was the actual u-joint, which is what I referred to.

Most likely easier/cheaper/safer for Honda to have the network RR an assembled unit and then examine the surrendered assembly.

The post replacement ride felt great and the walking pace chatter and noise less noticeable (will monitor), No more burnouts for this shafty!

Hogan!!!

post-13109-0-67588800-1455038692.jpg

Someone lost their u-joint supply gig.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know if they have to replace the fluid when they do the recall? Parts on order, I was told 3 days, and it has been over a week now.

The outlined procedure does not call for a fluid change.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know if they have to replace the fluid when they do the recall? Parts on order, I was told 3 days, and it has been over a week now.

I got the call today, parts are in and they are ready to do the work. Think I'll wait and let them practice on your bike first. :-)

I got the call today, parts are in and they are ready to do the work. Think I'll wait and let them practice on your bike first. :-)

Are you going to House, or ECC? I ordered mine through House. Should be here Friday or Monday. Tires ordered too. Want to get it all done at once.

• Member Contributer

Got my recall work done this morning (Mach 1 in Vallejo). Maybe my bike had a particularly bad case of drivetrain lash, but the improvement was immediately noticeable. Much tighter, on/off throttle at low speeds and low revs much smoother. Other than the Z-Bomb (thanks RC1237V!) my powertrain is stock.

Nice day, left the dealer and decided to take the long way home to make sure the new parts were thoroughly tested...and got a speeding ticket. Oh well, I guess I was due.

• Member Contributer

Got my recall work done this morning (Mach 1 in Vallejo). Maybe my bike had a particularly bad case of drivetrain lash, but the improvement was immediately noticeable. Much tighter, on/off throttle at low speeds and low revs much smoother. Other than the Z-Bomb (thanks RC1237V!) my powertrain is stock.

Nice day, left the dealer and decided to take the long way home to make sure the new parts were thoroughly tested...and got a speeding ticket. Oh well, I guess I was due.

Glad to hear you are using the Z-Bomb, do you like the full power in 1st and 2nd?

Had to change dealers on my recall work - scheduled for the 27th since Jamie has my shock and forks.....can't wait to get back on the road...........

Mine seems to have a lot of driveline play - about 10-15 degrees of tire rotation when the rear is off the ground and bike is in gear.....really noticeable in parking lots!

• Member Contributer

Are you going to House, or ECC? I ordered mine through House. Should be here Friday or Monday. Tires ordered too. Want to get it all done at once.

ECC, so it looks like we're on our own. Still want to hear your damn, uh DAM, exhaust.

she's back !!!!!! took her for a quick ride around the block....it was just above freezing.....feels good...the driveline noise seems to be gone, but too soon to say for sure .....the forks come off this week to go to Jamie....thanks to Honda and Motorcycle Mall in Belleville NJ for the free door to door service....job well done

post-23916-0-75560900-1455163538.jpg

post-23916-0-95104000-1455163767.jpg

Archived