Motogp 2016 Season....with Spoilers

Mattie660

• Member Contributer

A lot of people clearly resent the admiration Lorenzo and Márquez have gotten the past few years.

They are not only in first and second place this season, but they've won five of the past six world championships (with Stoner winning one). That doesn't sit well at all with Rossi fans. There's no shortage of Lorenzo and Márquez haters because so many people think they "stole" Rossi's place in the spotlight.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh and Marc Marquez even thanked Rossi for his words mentioned above.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/230550/1/marquez-thanks-rossi-over-fan-appeal.html

See I told you that you were wrong.  Happy Monday guy :D

Nah uh, Rossi is is a big meanie poop face!

Today's race:

First place: Lorenzo

Second place: Márquez

Season's standings:

First place: Lorenzo

Second place: Márquez

• Member Contributer

y'all are buying into the drama machine way too much. Its racing, riders and teams will do anything they can to win.

Moto3 is better racing these days than Moto2 and MotoGP. Less drama, more battles.

• Member Contributer

Didn't watch the Moto3 race yet, but the Moto2 race was an absolute mess and absolutely awesome. I feel bad for Lowes as he looked like he could have taken it all the way. Partly thought that he was at a disadvantage being on the hard tire and I think most the other guys were on medium with the 10 lap dash. But what a battle for first.

Too bad for the blown engine. Was looking forward to seeing some decent racing at the front. VR took a few stabs, then thought he decided to back off and wait to see what happens when the tires start to wear. Is it still possible to over-rev the engine in GP? Can't remember which class (maybe WSBK and not GP), but one rider blew his engine every other race almost. I would hope that they didn't try pushing his engine a bit more than normal, but with his own admission that he needed a little help to get pole, who knows.

Last few laps MM was really wrestling with that bike and gave it an awesome go. It was really impressive to watch him hold on.

JL had one hell of a start. Almost looked like he was past VR before they even crossed the start line.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

A lot of people clearly resent the admiration Lorenzo and Márquez have gotten the past few years.

They are not only in first and second place this season, but they've won five of the past six world championships (with Stoner winning one). That doesn't sit well at all with Rossi fans. There's no shortage of Lorenzo and Márquez haters because so many people think they "stole" Rossi's place in the spotlight.

Huh? Are you making this up as you go?  You're in way too deep on the media hype, my friend.  It's just racing.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

And now you know what we think.

Amazing skills. :beer:

• Member Contributer

The speculation of the Dutch commentators on the Yammie engine is that their (suspension) setup caused the rear wheel to lift at top whack. Something with how the track curves/rises/falls. Yes there is electronics but perhaps this cannot intervene fast enough. That the other teams' setup are different enough to just not experience this.

Or the Yamaha engine mechanic was seduced by a female MM/JL groupie, shagged him silly and the hanky panky got recorded on her smartphone and she threatened to tell his wife if he would not..............  :-)   Aye, that is it! It is all a con spi ra cy!!!!

• Member Contributer

Btw, I think you must be using a different definition of "arrogant" than the rest of us, mate.  If any of the top MotoGP riders embody that quality, surely it is Jorge?  I don't consider either Valentino or Marc arrogant.  Perhaps you meant something else...  :blush:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 5/23/2016 at 2:41 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Do you have any comments about the race, or just want to talk more about how much you hate Rossi? Facebook and twitter are a great way to talk about how much you hate someone. But only Lorenzo and Marquez get negative social media interaction. Rossi has never ever ever had something bad said to him.

• Member Contributer

I did comment on the race. I recall saying Lorenzo came in first, Márquez came in second and Rossi got zero points. I also recall saying it was an epic battle between Lorenzo and Márquez for first place. And I also commented on the Factory Yamaha's blown engines.

Contrary to what some people think, I don't hate Rossi. He's never done anything to me. Just because I don't care for his sportsmanship doesn't mean I hate him. You want to hear a Rossi hater? You ought to see what some people say about him on other web sites. People say he's washed up, he's a has-been, they question his masculinity, etc. I don't say any of that nor do I believe any of it.

Rossi's DNF at Mugello doesn't mean anything. He's in third place and the season is only 1/3 of the way through. Lorezno had a DNF in Argentina and Márquez will probably have one before the season is over. I also recall saying that if Rossi's season starts to improve, I'll be the first person to attribute it to his racing skills and nothing else.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the over dramatization of MotoGP. But I am a Rossi fan and more Italian than Spanish. I think all three are great racers and when Marc rides out of his skull making that Honda do more than it should be able to do for the win you have to admire him. I dislike Jorge's demeanor. So what right? He makes everyone work harder to beat him. Anyone says Rossi is a washed up has been is not credible. Racing is exciting when any of the top five can podium or win. Hell anyone in the top 18 are still in the hunt for victory in Moto3. I watch that before the rest to keep things in perspective. Anyone who say Rossi probably would have won had not his motor blown has been paying attention. Rossi is moody. When he like the bike and have the pace to win he usually can do it. 

I think it's a great season so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/24/2016 at 2:33 PM, Dutchy said:

The speculation of the Dutch commentators on the Yammie engine is that their (suspension) setup caused the rear wheel to lift at top whack. Something with how the track curves/rises/falls. Yes there is electronics but perhaps this cannot intervene fast enough. That the other teams' setup are different enough to just not experience this.

Or the Yamaha engine mechanic was seduced by a female MM/JL groupie, shagged him silly and the hanky panky got recorded on her smartphone and she threatened to tell

his wife if he would not..............  :-)   Aye, that is it! It is all a con spi ra cy!!!!

You read it first above!

Capture.JPG

• Member Contributer

RRRRRRRROOSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer
On 5/24/2016 at 2:07 AM, Marsman99 said:

Huh? Are you making this up as you go?  You're in way too deep on the media hype, my friend.  It's just racing.

IMAG4103.jpg

• Member Contributer

My $.02 on today's race:

1) I'll give credit where credit is due: Rossi ran a good race and deserved to win.

2) This incident was clearly Iannone's fault:

• Member Contributer

Prior to the crash, was there an issue with JL's bike? Tyres? VR had him for breakfast which is very unusual.

I'm glad that VR had already passed JL before he was tagged by AI then it couldn't be said he would never have caught him. And great to see VR and MM shake hands in the winners enclosure after a well fought, though short, battle.

And another great ride for CC despite the limitations of his Honda.

• Member Contributer

Crazy Joe said that his data will show he went into the corner the same speed as before--he said after the race they confirmed it from their data--that Jorge slowed down a LOT into that corner.  Even Jorge said Joe came up to him asking him what was the problem..."he asked me did my engine quit..."  so there's more to the story than at first glance...

Matt

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, zupatun said:

Crazy Joe said that his data will show he went into the corner the same speed as before--he said after the race they confirmed it from their data--that Jorge slowed down a LOT into that corner.  Even Jorge said Joe came up to him asking him what was the problem..."he asked me did my engine quit..."  so there's more to the story than at first glance...

Sure, there might be.  But if Race Direction has already penalised him (starting at the back of the grid in Assen), as I just read on Superbike Planet, then they were unimpressed with Ianone's argument.

I was glad to see the handshake between Rossi and Marquez.  Maybe the Luis Salom incident indirectly prompted it?

The tire issue was possibly made worse by the track changes following the Salom incident.  Has anyone heard an explanation (that makes sense) for why the other chicane was added?  (The "other" being in the corner where Salom didn't crash.)  Lorenzo (as usual) put his concerns badly, but I have to agree with him and Rossi that the changes to Turn 10 did not seem adequately explained.  In the press conference, some of the other riders seemed to get very defensive about the Yamaha riders' criticism (and, ahem, accusations) by pointing out that neither factory Yamaha rider had bothered to attend the safety meeting.  But that is irrelevant.

Why was Turn 10 also chicaned?  Marquez has said that it was done because there was too little run-off room there, too, but it is unclear if the 10 MotoGP riders who attended the safery commission meeting were ever given the option to change just Turn 12.  Were they told that the only options were to run the full F1 track (which includes both chicanes) or to cancel the race?  Some online "experts" are indeed claiming that it was "all or nothing", because the track had only been homologated in the two configurations.  Personally, I struggle to accept that explanation.  If that were the way "homologation" actually worked, no safety changes could be made to any circuit unless they had happened to have been already made in the context of some other "homologated" layout.  (As if an FIA homologation would be at all relevant to a MotoGP event in the first place.)  An absurd result, I would venture to say...

Weirdly, looking at "before" and "after" photos of the Barcelona circuit, the part of Turn 12 where Salom crashed used to be gravel before the second F1 chicane was added to Turn 12.

Before:

circuito-de-montmelo.jpg

After:

latest?cb=20120215151130

(Turn 10 was the long curve above the "Circuit de Catalunya" writing, and the original F1 chicane was below it.  Turn 12 was the sharper right hand turn on the right side of the photos above, and the second F1 chicane has the "RACC" writing in the middle of it.)

It looks to me like the gravel outside of Turn 12 was removed when the second chicane was added to the F1 version of the track.  And the removal of that gravel trap is probably why Luis Salom died...  :mad:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hi John,

The race itself was fantastic. I only wish that more of the Laguna Seca GP races had been half as exciting. It makes you wonder how Rossi would have faired in Mugello had his Yamaha not blow'd up - real good. It was Iannoni's fault but Lorenzo had to know that his Yamaha mobile chicane was a big target, and 7th would be better than a dnf.

Here's some of info I've found about the changes. I find Julian Ryder's article enlightening:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Jun/160604rydernotes.htm

Rossi on shaking hands with Marquez, and more:

http://www.gpone.com/en/2016060527340/motogp/rossi-shaking-hands-with-marquez-it-was-the-right-thing-to-do.html

While not explicitly stated my guess is that they changed T10 to give more room between it and T14 (the left in the post-2007 F1 chicane):

http://www.gpone.com/en/2016060326848/motogp/after-saloms-accident-bikes-to-use-chicane-as-in-f1.html

Marquez on the changes:

http://www.gpone.com/en/2016060427054/motogp/marquez-without-the-changes-we-wouldnt-have-raced.html

Pol Espargaro savages Rossi & Lorenzo for skipping the Friday meeting:

http://www.gpone.com/en/2016060427055/motogp/pol-espargaro-attacks-rossi-and-lorenzo.html

MotoGP used the revised layout in an official test two years ago:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motogp-event-at-catalunya-to-continue-on-revised-course-layout/

• Member Contributer

I hadn't seen the race direction ruling...only Iannone's statement...I suppose if he had data, he gave it to Race Direction...or not.

• Member Contributer

I agree, Lorne, that the race was still very good--until Marc threw in the towel.

Not sure what happened to the second pic in my post above.  I swear it was bigger before!  Let's try this one from your link:

chicane_barcellona.jpg?itok=19fZDMnX

I don't understand Julian Ryder's comments ("Once you adopt the F1 chicane you have to move Turn 10 back or you have a copy of the situation at Suzuka where you can't extend the run off at the right after the hairpin without going on track at R120. ")  No run off was extended anywhere--the track infrastructure was not changed in any way.  An un-altered Turn 10 would have been somewhat closer to a chicaned Turn 12, but neither MotoGP nor any other two-wheeled vehicles crash in that direction at any kind of speed that could see them vault the air fences and other barriers that already existed and land in the new, chicaned Turn 12 (or vice versa).

The only logical reason I can see for using the Turn 10 chicane would be to slow the bikes down even more than presence of a chicane in Turn 12 would have done by itself.  After all, the entrance to the Turn 12 chicane is in almost the same place as the entrance to un-altered Turn 12--and the lack of gravel trap in that area would have been the same for both configurations.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It was curious to see how MM caught and then was just following JL, until VR passed them both. Then he dropped the hammer and went after. Going to assume that he was just biding his time and didn't expect VR to be as fast as he was. Some entertaining efforts from MV. Almost a tag-team effort with him and VR moving up the pack.

Good race in Moto2. Another crash for AM though. Something seriously wrong there. 

Archived