Atgatt !

lshark

Yep..it ain't if it is when. If you value your life, health, skin, ect....wear your gear!

A dog got us last February while doing about 60mph and the gear allowed us to walk away unscathed.

Just do it!

the bike is totaled ..... i'm fine just a few bruises.....see my other post WRECKED .....a deer blindsided me at around 50 mph...bike took out a concrete post

Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants....Shoei Neotec...Merrill hikers thank you all !!!

insurance co.(at least GEICO does) insist on replacing helmets and safety gear.....when a car cracked my back fender a few years ago, GEICO insisted on seeing the helmet, even though i told them that i did not go down

How did the helmet do ??

post-23916-0-97148600-1446820800.jpg

• Member Contributer

That is the gospel, ATGATT. Glad you are alright.

• Member Contributer

Here in So Cal we see so many riders sans gear, t-shirts, shorts, tennis shoes, sometimes even flip-flops! I cringe every time I see riders not ATGATT. Having suffered road rash in my youth from skateboarding, I learned a long time ago that even a mild speed crash can be extremely painful, so I never go without my protective gear when I ride.

I get that our freedom of choice is really what drives what people decide to wear while riding but I just don't understand why one would wear such minimal or no gear when the outcome of a crash is so well known.

I'm glad you were able to walk away Ishark and that you chose to be an ATGATT rider, it can often make the difference between life and death.

jacket and pants are ripped up, helmet is shot...only found one glove and the boots sprung a leak

left elbow

post-23916-0-83226600-1446828639.jpg

• Member Contributer

When I was around 10 years old a wasp flew into my open face bell helmet, just above the right ear. In the time it took me to drop the SL70 and rip the helmet off I was stung around 6 times. From then on full face helmets and ATTAGT.

• Member Contributer

Ahh, the SL70. I lusted for one so bad in my youth of the early 1970's. Had a friend that had one, light blue. I can still picture it. Even rode it once. I waited for the right time to ask my mom about getting one and was shot down with the precision and effectiveness of a laser guided missile....a flat out "NO", end of discussion.

Sorry I digress, did not mean to hijack thread.

Ishark, sincerely glad you are okay!

• Member Contributer

I know it's hard to do when you are laying out hundreds of dollars for gear, but I tell myself it is all disposable. If it saves my butt (or other body parts) one time, it has done its job, and can be thrown away if needed. I had to replace a helmet and jacket this last year. As others have said, glad you walked away from this.

my buddies had SL 70s and CT70s i had an ST90 but wanted a clutch...next was an XL100 and Elsinores !!! the good old days !!!!

i always always always wear a helmet, even if i enter a no helmet state....had a bad accident the night i graduated from high school in '77....would have been killed without a full face helmet...i had a bee get into a full face Bell Star on the highway back then too ....not fun !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Around here in the late 60's-early 70's kids mostly had ST/CT70 (Trail 70) and ST50 (mini trail). Mid 70's to late 70's it was mostly XR75. Sometimes the XR75 kids would wear helmets, but most of the time everything was hanging out in the breeze. I was shot down when I asked for a bike as well. That's ok because it allowed me to have an Interceptor as my first bike. It was like losing my virginity to Miss America!

• Member Contributer

I thought that to be Miss America you had to be a demure virgin no? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

When I was around 10 years old a wasp flew into my open face bell helmet, just above the right ear. In the time it took me to drop the SL70 and rip the helmet off I was stung around 6 times. From then on full face helmets and ATTAGT.

A few season's ago while riding around Gettysburg with the wife on the back and my Arai visor up, a wasp or hornet got in and repeatedly stung me on the temple. Came close to dumping the FJR.

The lesson here; riding with visor up makes a very efficient bug catcher. :fing02:

Archived