• Member Contributer

Glad you are walking around.

Once again I quote Olive:

All The Gear When You Hit a Deer!

Welcome to the survivors club.

Now you can post up with these:

:wheel: :3:

• Member Contributer

Years ago a bee or wasp stung me on my throat whilst riding. I honestly thought i was going to die. Throat suddenly swelled up and couldn't breathe. That was scary.

• Member Contributer

Years ago a bee or wasp stung me on my throat whilst riding. I honestly thought i was going to die. Throat suddenly swelled up and couldn't breathe. That was scary.

Did you have to stop? Scary indeed.

• Member Contributer

Stopped quick as a T250 Hustler could (ie not very) hands and knees on the side of the road gasping for breath. Scary.

• Member Contributer

From that pic, the worst is that they need to clean it up with a brush of something. Now I don't care how soft this brush may be it would certainly keep me awake during the process... Ouch!!

C

I got a thin neck gator from Schampa for that bit of protection.

When it's cold I wear the thicker one.

The one piece of exposed skin, that's where they will go. :wacko:

ATTGATT.

early this fall i got hit in the chest with a small piece of branch or a little bunch of leaves falling from a tree...i had my JRocket jacket on but it just hit sharply....i had to pull over to deal with the pain, i thought it ripped my nipple off.....PAIN !!!!!!!

i got a bee in the helmet when i was a kid....dropped my CB750F on the grass shoulder to get the helmet off

• Member Contributer

My last accident involved a 65mph tumble and slide on the freeway. Wore all the gear except i wore jeans instead of my leather armored pants. Very sore hips legs and knees with light road rash. Every where else fine. Why jeans? Wasn't planning on riding aggressively or crash. Duh.

• Member Contributer

My last accident involved a 65mph tumble and slide on the freeway. Wore all the gear except i wore jeans instead of my leather armored pants. Very sore hips legs and knees with light road rash. Every where else fine. Why jeans? Wasn't planning on riding aggressively or crash. Duh.

You're lucky you only ended up "with light road rash", but you weren't planning on crashing so I can see why you didn't wear leathers.

I got a seagull off the head some years ago, but I WAS planning on that happening so I wore my helmet.

My wife got a bluejay sized bird smack dab in the middle of her visor two years ago after I ducked out of the way. When I asked what it looked like, she said "surprised".

jacket and pants are ripped up, helmet is shot...only found one glove and the boots sprung a leak

I hope you replace the Merrells with some proper bike boots. I've got some Merrells, and there's no way I'd ride any distance wearing them.

When my VFR750 was totaled, I was wearing proper knee-high, armoured bike boots (StylMartin), and 15 years later my left foot still hurts (I think my heel was broken). I replaced those with better StylMartins, and those with better (and more armoured) Forma CapeHorn adventure boots.

• Member Contributer

As KISS sings in "Shock Me"

"put on your black leathers...." :beer:

And 'Don't leave home without them!' :wheel: :3:

Mindoro Cutline, WI - August 5, 2015

Head on collision with a semi truck on the Mindoro Cut just outside LaCrosse, WI while touring this past summer ... my gear saved my life. Nothing broken other than the bike itself.

2.5 weeks later, I was flying to Saskatoon, SK to pick up and ride my new bike back to Manitoba. I was still nursing significant injuries to my foot.

... a note on foot protection ...

DON'T BUY BOOTS WITH BUCKLES / PROTRUSIONS

I had some Speed & Strength boots on whit buckles. They created pressure points on my foot when they were impacted and caused as much damage to my foot as they prevented.

I now wear TCX Explorers ... they have no pressure points.

• Member Contributer

Yikes!

How did you even survive that JNB?!?

Back in '03, a van pulled out in front of me and in a panic I grabbed too much front brake trying to avoid t-boning the van.

The stoppie turned into a crashie. In other words, I did an end-over-end.

Fortunately it was at low speed. I walked away with a totaled SV650s and lots of damaged protective gear.

But...not a scratch on me.

Without ATGATT, I would have had my shoulder ground down badly.

Yikes!

How did you even survive that JNB?!?

Back in '03, a van pulled out in front of me and in a panic I grabbed too much front brake trying to avoid t-boning the van.

The stoppie turned into a crashie. In other words, I did an end-over-end.

Fortunately it was at low speed. I walked away with a totaled SV650s and lots of damaged protective gear.

But...not a scratch on me.

Without ATGATT, I would have had my shoulder ground down badly.

Every time I get on the bike, I think about the worst case scenario and about how I'd deal with ... it paid off.

I put the bike in a position that it was between me and the semi and jumped from it in the nick of time. (basically slid my back tire around to the right). My body ended up hitting the side of the semi instead of head on.

Glad you were able to walk away from that.

• Member Contributer

I imagine you both are experiencing the 'Glad To Be Alive & Walking Around' phenomenon.

Ain't that a fabulous feeling?!

I imagine you both are experiencing the 'Glad To Be Alive & Walking Around' phenomenon.

Truth be told, the only thing going through my mind as I lay on the asphalt waiting for the EMTs to arrive was, "how can I hide this from my wife?"

LOL!

• Member Contributer

Truth be told, the only thing going through my mind as I lay on the asphalt waiting for the EMTs to arrive was, "how can I hide this from my wife?"

LOL!

Ha! I can dig it. I guess I was referring to the post accident feelings. PTSD and GTBA.

• Member Contributer

I was spooked for quite some time.

When ever I saw a vehicle approaching a stop sign to my right, I would think it was going to go through and hit me.

Took a while to overcome that.

• Member Contributer

I was spooked for quite some time.

When ever I saw a vehicle approaching a stop sign to my right, I would think it was going to go through and hit me.

Took a while to overcome that.

Yeah, me too. I hit two deer in 11 months and whenever I looked away from straight ahead then back to front, I'd feel a moment of panic. Took months to go away.

Congrats on sticking with it.

Archived