Finished The Vfkr (Kind Of)

unbalanced

• Member Contributer

So i finally made enough time to get the monster in the right colors. I now know my limitation, and my painting skills are not that good... The tank work out well, with the exception of the factory decal stripes - the paint line shows underneath and they are not a perfect fit for the VFR750 tank. Someday I'll paint on the right ones... The tail was the nightmare for me. The Colorrite 2 stage blue is a little dark, but it was beautiful. After applying the red stripes I used the last batch of Colorrite clear, and it immediately clouded over milk white! I was pissed, and decided to use an aftermarket clear thinking if I was going to strip it all it was worth a try. The clear over the blue cleaned right up, but the red stripes crazed over.... So after a few days of curing I masked it all up again, sanded the strips down and resprayed. The stripes turned out well, but my beautiful blue got all scratched up by the masking!! (!!) I think it will buff out for the most part, but very frustrating.

Anyway, some pics attached - my computer died so this is via my phone, more to follow.

I am planning on taking her to Rice-o-rama Sunday, anyone going?

Let's try this...

post-16289-0-72974300-1441814407.jpg

post-16289-0-83962100-1441814451.jpg

• Member Contributer

It may not be perfect, but it sure looks great! Well done. Don't be too hard on yourself - it's tough to make paint flawless. It must sound great with that Yosh pipe on it. Thanks for the pics.

• Member Contributer

Looks great from here! Did I miss the build thread on this one?

USD forks (929?), '86 dual headlight on an 85? What else is hiding within that gorgeous design?

Really really great job! My only criticism, so minor, is that to my eyes the tail is like 3-5 degrees too kicked up. Maybe not even that. Could be an optical illusion as well.

I wouldn't cover up the sides at all. I wonder what your rocker covers would look like in polished metal? To see the rear cover stand out, red would be too much, would draw the eye nicely.

• Member Contributer

CornerCarver, thanks for the reminder - the post with more details is here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78942-completing-the-vfkr/

The front is from a 91 FZR 1000 (taller than the 929), rear is a Dymag wheel, VFR 800 shock. Gel battery under the 900rr tail, VFR 750 tank.

WestofBen, i agree the polished covers would look great

• Member Contributer

Looks fantastic and in some odd way, totally factory. I feel for you with the paint. I've had a few helmets wrinkle up at various stages of paint and it makes you want to open a vein. Way to stay with this project, you clearly had an idea in your head and you had the skill to see it through to completion. It will no doubt comand a lot of attention and questions, many wondering how you got it in the country. Hats off!!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Very nice looking work. Don't beat yourself up over imperfections in the paint. Painting is not easy, not at all. That's why there are professionals that command hefty fees for their work. Really flawless paint is very difficult to pull off, and the folks that can do it are worth the prices they charge.

The good news is that for us mere mortals, many paint application mistakes can be fixed by wet sanding and polishing. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Seb, it rides great! Handling is much improved and breaking is what it should be now. Thanks for the kudos

My issue is with the carbs... I will start another post after a I test it again tonight. The rpms do not come down when on the road... in the garage it's all good but out of the drive way it hangs up at 2500 and slowly drops...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Be interested in what you find out about your carbs, I have same problem on '83 VF750, which I just got back on the road. After engine gets HOT, rpm only drops to 3k, OK until it gets hot. I have new boots, had carbs cleaned even though they were taken off 30 years ago without any gas in them.

• Member Contributer

Very nice.

Rear 3/4 shot please.

RPMs hanging then coming down slowly, typically indicate lean jetting or an intake leak. Both of which usually get worse when hot.

Did you go up a size on the pilot jet with that exhaust?

• Member Contributer

I think so... After much internal debate I listed it. I have the ST1300 and ride it everywhere, in fact I have put more miles on this last year then the last 3 years combined. With only riding the VFKR 1 or 2 a year I can't justify keeping it, especially with one of the kids approaching college.

I wanted to finish it to see it through and would LOVE to keep it, to me it's rolling artwork, but I'll see if anyone appreciates it as much as I do.

I'll post something on the classified here as well.

Thanks for all the support!

Archived