Cross Country On 5Th Gen?

VFRfix

I plan to ride my VFR from SF to Denver in a month...

- what type of MPG should i expect

- what cheap rain stuff should I take

- any other recommendations? Has anyone done this? Will my tires be done after this trip? (I saw some people putting car tires on.. thats and interesting idea for a long trip... what do you think?

- entertainment? comfort?

all long distance tips welcome! :)

I don't think San Francisco to Denver is even a challenge for a sport tourer like the VFR. I did over 4,000 km (2,500 miles) on my R1 in 6 days and that was without even pushing it.

Miles you get to a full tank/gallons your bike holds = MPG. A web page like fuelly.com can help you keep track of your mileage.

Do not put car tires on your bike.

Do NOT put car tires on your bike.

I routinely do 400 mile days on the weekends during riding season without batting an eye. I would have zero qualms about taking off across the U.S. on my 98. THAT SAID, Ensure everything is in good condition including your charging system. I recommend a volt meter to keep an eye on voltage. Any large fluctuations indicate a blossoming problem. 13.8-14.5 volts should be standard while underway.

• Member Contributer

I get 40 to 45 on my 6th gen - you should experience similar. I usually fuel up well before the tank's dry to stretch my legs and give myself a break.

I have some Frogg Toggs - you can get them at Cycle Gear. They're cheap and pack small - good for an unexpected shower. They will tear though, so be careful. Others will probably chime in with their favorites

- any other recommendations? Has anyone done this?

In 2012 I did a 4,000 mile loop in 11 days from the N.W. through Montana, Wyoming, to Denver and back. You shouldn't have any problem. Take along some chain lube and use it each day.

Will my tires be done after this trip? (I saw some people putting car tires on.. thats and interesting idea for a long trip... what do you think?

Car tires = BAD. Stick with M/C specific tires. If you get a 2 compound tread tires (Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 3's or 4's as a few examples), they will easily make that trip. I got back from the above trip with plenty of tread left on new Pilot Road 3's.

My entertainment comes from the scenery and a V4's exhaust sound. To each their own. For comfort, a mod'd saddle and Heli-bars can be a big help. If you're tall, you may also find the BLS peg lowering blocks to be helpful too.

Be sure to take lots of photos and post them up here when you return.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Echoing everthing on here, but number 1 -- like TNRabbit mentioned, make sure the charging system is in top shape.

• Member Contributer

I just did a 5000 mile loop last Sept with zero issues - aside from 3 days of dodging RED on the weather radar. Which brings up one of my 'must haves" on rides. >>> 9news Weather app on my phone.<<< It is from our local NBC affliate here in Denver but I would assume any major market TV station would have something similar. It incorporates weather radar over Google Earth technology and you can see where and how fast storms are moving. Since it uses Google Earth, you can scroll the weather map to any where in the country and zoom right in on the local roads wherever you are.

A SIMPLE 30 MINUTE DELAY WAITING OUT A PASSING STORM CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE IN RIDING THROUGH A MAJOR T-STORM OR SIMPLY RIDING WET ROADS!!!

Don't leave home on mediocre tires. NO CAR TIRES!

Don't skimp on rain gear.

Expect afternoon showers in Colorado, they are brief, fast moving rains but can be torrential.

Don't worry about techno-entertainment

45-ish mpg

Drink more water than you think you need so you avoid dehydration and/or altitude sickness.

Don't ruin a great ride by not stopping for pics and to just take it all in. I use to gas, ride, gas, ride, and that sure can ruin a good trip! IT ISN'T A RACE.

• Member Contributer

What is the purpose of this trip?

If it is fun, take as much time and back roads where possible.

Otherwise

take the car

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

If you don't have a tire plug kit and a portable 12v air compressor or c02 inflator kit I highly recommend getting one.

Rollin

That only looks like 1,250 miles one way. Should be no problem on a VFR. I went from Athens, GA to Michigan over a weekend. Left Friday and was home on Monday morning. About 1,600 miles. I have also ridden to southern Florida in a day, about 600 miles.

What kind of fuel mileage do you get normally? I probably got the worst on the Florida trip. I had a big trunk on the back and was doing about 80 MPH most of the way. My average is usually 38 mpg and it dropped to 32 mpg for that trip.

Tires will depend on what you have on there and how good of shape they are in. Newer ST tires would be fine like others said. A half worn out race take-off will be shot before you get to the state line.

Wear ear plugs.......and take extras.

• Member Contributer

Next weekend, Keny will do that distance on a '86 VF500II......

I know I am echoing most people on here, but I do want to reiterate just to show the importance of them.

1. Charging system! 5th gen R/R is crap. Don't let it leave you stranded like it has happened to many of us.
  2. Ear plugs or noise cancelling ear buds. Wind noise is very fatiguing and will destroy your hearing eventually.
  3. If you don't have an aftermarket saddle, at least get a seat cover. (here is an example: http://alaskaleather.com/products/pillion-1-sheepskin-buttpad)You won't care how ugly they are after the first couple hundred miles!
  4. 51N9N9E2S2L._SX355_.jpg Powder your stuff. Seriously.

• Member Contributer

3061 miles Friday afternoon in Portland and arrived Home dinner on a Tuesday...on a bike I bought online...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72453-help-need-vfr-evaluation-near-portland/page-2

I've done 1,000 miles in one day a couple times. I plan to never do this again, but it's doable. The VFR will omnomnom the miles no problem; your body is another question. Long miles in the same position will likely cause cramped legs, tired wrists/back/neck. Nothing too bad, but take some breaks to stretch it out. I don't like going more than 90 minutes without a rest.

I covered the duffel bag in a couple garbage backs before strapping it to the back seat. The flapping of the bags makes this not ideal, but it mostly works. A dry bag or hard luggage would be better, but that's more $ if you don't have it. 4 strong bungee cords kept the bag in place.

The tires will depend on the style. You'll accelerate the squaring with highway miles, obviously, but one trip shouldn't kill your tires. Change your oil, top off the coolant, and give the machine a good once-over for any faults at least a week before departure, in case anything needs to be ordered.

• Member Contributer

I am in the +50 so aches and pains call for strong doses of ibuprofen. Especially on the ride back. Frequent stops help. You can always source a new set of tires in Denver. Never compromise on tires or brakes. Check your brake pads before you leave. Wheel bearings too.

car tires? that'a a joke, right?

Unfortunately no, it happens quite frequently. Darksiders are common on larger touring bikes because they can get 50K+ miles on a rear tire. There are forums dedicated to the praise of it too.

Here is an example:

cartire.jpg

I've seen them on cruisers, touring bikes, and sport bikes. I would never do it, but to each their own.

• Member Contributer

All above is great advice. Not mentioned; depending on how many miles on your machine, you should check y0ur steering head bearings. It's easy to do and, if necessary, will save your tires and arms. The drill: put your bike on it's centerstand, weight the rear end or have someone push down on the back of the seat. With the front wheel in the air, move your handlebars from full-lock left to full-lock right. There shoud be no perceived change in resistance through the movement. Any notchiness is a sign of worn oem ball bearings. Have them replaced with tapered roller bearings.

Have a safe and fun ride - in that order.

I plan to ride my VFR from SF to Denver in a month...

- any other recommendations? Has anyone done this? Will my tires be done after this trip? (I saw some people putting car tires on.. thats and interesting idea for a long trip... what do you think?

all long distance tips welcome! :)

I would highly recommend using Highway 50 both ways. Highway 80 is horrible, especially in Wyoming.

Double check the weather reports before your travel, especially Highway 70 area.

• Member Contributer

Your expected gas mileage will depend on you right hand. I've found riding at around 4900 rpm has given me the best mileage. My Givi D200 sport touring windshield adds 5 mpg (it's more aerodynamic shape replaces some of the aerodynamic-brick ones shoulders present). One tank on my '01 from Twin Falls, ID to Ceder City UT, I went 262 mi. on 4 gal. With large, loaded hard bags. Of course I was going south so it was mostly down hill. :tongue2:

I've also gotten less than 40 mpg trying to keep up with other VFRDers in the twisties. :cool:

If everything is running right, you should easily get 45 mpg on the highway. My personal best was 56 mpg for a tank. 60 mph slab.

Archived