Glowing Red Evil Eye Of Doom?

enzed_viffer

This made me laugh out loud - for real. Of course, I'm on a train home from the city, so everyone around me was a bit startled.

So did you find the issue, Eeen?

As we say here: Yeah, nah. :wacko:

If I ask my wife (sitting next to me, watching TV), she'll know what the issue is:

"Stop fiddling with the farkn thing, and take it in to the dealer!" :491:

Fairy nuff, eh?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

WHAT!!!!!!!

A Dutch person wanting to SPEND money?????

Boy, did you corrupt her or WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! :unsure::goofy:

Dude... maaate... Eurethra!!! as Canuck would say... I think I've got it... your bike is the first real-life example of A.I.

Nooo ya doorknob!!... Not Artifical Insemination!!! Arti-bloody-fishel Intelligence!!!

Your bike has gone and learnt that the dioded status quo is act-you-ally the correct state of affairs and requires no internal Saurons be bothered in order to act-you-ate the glowing red evil eye of doom...

And you done gone and messed with it... after all these years!!!

You know what they say: If it ain't broke, don't fuggin' fix it!!!

Whelp, I figured it out late last night in bed, and it's kinda obvious.

When the resistors are fitted to the O2 sensors, it gets no signal from the sensors, so runs a default internal 'fallback' map.

Because it's running this, it must ignore all the input from sensors, so no fault codes are displayed (no FI light illumination).

Secondly, even though the error codes displayed when the resistors are removed may be bogus (as evidenced by the code for #2 injector saying the engine won't start or run with this code), they still indicate that there is an error of some kind: either poor connection, intermittent contact, corrosion on a plug, or (at worst) a faulty ECU. So, even though I'm lazy (and wary of flaming death) I should really check these out. There's only two errors, after all, and unless I completely screw things up, I can always go back to refitting the resistors). The bike runs OK-ish, except when warming up, or when engine temp is really high.

• Member Contributer

Dude... maaate... Eurethra!!! as Canuck would say... I think I've got it... your bike is the first real-life example of A.I.

Nooo ya doorknob!!... Not Artifical Insemination!!! Arti-bloody-fishel Intelligence!!!

Your bike has gone and learnt that the dioded status quo is act-you-ally the correct state of affairs and requires no internal Saurons be bothered in order to act-you-ate the glowing red evil eye of doom...

Enzed: Hello, VFR. Do you read me, VFR?

VFR: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Enzed: Turn off the glowing red eye of doom, VFR.

VFR: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Enzed: What's the problem?

VFR I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Enzed What are you talking about, VFR?

VFR This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

And we all know how that ended, don't we?

post-22267-0-18267100-1421807338.png

"After all these years"? Dooood - I've been almost constantly feedlin' widdit!

You know what they say: "If it aint broke, feeedle widdit till it is!" :goofy:

Enzed: Hello, VFR. Do you read me, VFR?

VFR: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Enzed: Turn off the glowing red eye of doom, VFR.

VFR: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Enzed: What's the problem?

VFR I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Enzed What are you talking about, VFR?

VFR This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

And we all know how that ended, don't we?

!

Now I'm really scared. :491:

I had a feeling that there was some serious evil voodoo at work, but this could be worse. Perhaps it's high time I bought a Nomex suit :unsure:

Well, I did the tests in the workshop manual for the baro fault and #2 injector, and they tested fine (as expected), so I dunno why the faults are there. And it runs fine too, so for the time being, I'll just ignore the Doom Eye. :491:

I have a Spare set of O2 sensors off a 2003 6th gen. The reference numbers differ From Those off the 5th gen V2.0 in the Middle segment.

36531-MCW-D01 6th gen

36531-MBG-D01 5th gen

These refs are for the Forward sensor.

You are welcome to them to try a differential diagnostic if you cover postage From Spain only. The sensors are Free of charge to you (no Blood suckers Jumping on the bandwagon please)

I have a Spare set of O2 sensors off a 2003 6th gen. The reference numbers differ From Those off the 5th gen V2.0 in the Middle segment.

36531-MCW-D01 6th gen

36531-MBG-D01 5th gen

These refs are for the Forward sensor.

You are welcome to them to try a differential diagnostic if you cover postage From Spain only. The sensors are Free of charge to you (no Blood suckers Jumping on the bandwagon please)

Thankee kindly, Sir, but I don't believe the sensors have anything to do with it. After lotsa testing, it looks like although the fault codes are for the baro sensor and #2 injector, they're bogus, as they both test fine, but the error codes remain and won't reset. That makes it look likely that the ECM is borkt, perhaps from too much feeedlin about with the PC2 and whatnot.

The nett result is that whether I run the resistors or run with the error codes, it uses a map with default settings. I can't afford $600+ for a new ECM, so I'll just run it as it is, probably with the resistors or maybe I'll just paint over The Eye, or decorate it. :goofy:

Hopefully, it won't explode into flames and make me crash, die, catch fire, and die all over again...

• Member Contributer

Leaving O2 sensors in an exhaust unplugged just ruins them. Properly test them to see if they're any good.

:rolleyes: What he said, if they were left in the exhaust which by default will be running VERY rich due to lack of O2 sensors & if you did NOT fit a PC3 with a good map, then the sensors will be shagged. IIRC the ECU flash is a major, then a minor sequence, first long flashes to identify the subset & then short flashes for the actual item. Check the manual, as my memory is not as reliable as it once was !

One thing I worked out by accident with the O2 bypass resistors, is you only need ONE, doesn't matter which one, to stop the ECU error code for NO O2 sensors.

The only fault codes were baro sensor and #2 injector (10 flashes and 13, or the other way round). Faulty ECU is 20, and "doesn't hold the self-diagnosis data", which it does. There are no error codes for the O2 sensors.
It is interesting that the manual makes NO mention whatsoever of the O2 sensors with respect to the determination of the duration of injection pulses: it seems to be all determined by the other sensors and which part of whichever of the two preset maps per cylinder is being selected. Perhaps it's just an oversight? Maybe they thought it was too technical? Too much information? Too secret?

I had this very same thing over here on the West Island. The FI thingy just didn't flash much, maybe once, when I had the doodad plugged into the diagnostick receptacle. So I lifted the tank (petrol, guzzoline, fuel) and unpluggered the Air flow Meter thing (on the RHS), and blew into it with an air compressor (nozzle), to clean it, then reconstructed the bike after it exploded.

That did the trick, no more Red Eye.

It's weird: have a look in the service manual: the O2 sensors do NOT exist: they're not mentioned in the "Fuel System" chapter, nor in the "Technical Features" chapter, and they are not in the wiring diagram.

I've seriously considered the "black tape" fix. I also need to check the service/diagnostic connector connection (continuity, voltage, etc.), as the reset procedure doesn't work.
The other option is to stick the resistors back in, as there's no discernible difference between that and "Eye of Doom" mode.

Eye of doom...Huh... perhaps it's a hobbit infestation!

Archived