Experience With Stators - Buying

didit

• Member Contributer

After finally figuring out how to work the volt meter (thanks switchblade and zoomzoom) measuring the stator is only giving 13.2 on 2 out of 3 lines.

3rd line is 0, with little increase when 5000 rpm.

I replaced it in 2011 with a Rick's branded unit and a new battery. Not sure why I'm replacing again within 4 years but ???

So from a quick search of the net, it's either OEM, Rick's Motorsport or Electrosport Industries?

Anyone with experience or comments?

I'll be wanting to order sooner than later, as it sucks with the dirty girl just sitting there begging to be bathed and scrubbed AND RIDDEN!

Partzilla.com shows them for $138 - $142 plus they ship to Canada for around $35.

Yes, I'll order a new gasket too.

Ah fond memories of the stator-ectomy in the parking lot of the BW in Eurka, CA.

Anyone in the area wishing to stand overhead, holding a beer and giving instructions is welcome. Date & time TBA.

• Member Contributer

That parking lot thread seems like such a short time ago - bummer to have to go through that again. I'd hold the light if I could - but all I can do is wish you the best on it!

• Member Contributer

Didit,

I used Gary at Custom rewind. He does excellent work and it seems to last a lot longer than the OE or Ricks units. Just make sure to ask for the upgrade with larger and longer wires.

• Member Contributer

Double check your connections between the stator & R/R. I'm convinced many state issues are caused by sub-par connections.

:beer:

• Member Contributer

If I had to think, I'd say less than 15,000 miles easily. I'll be removing and rewiring all farkles and double checking all wires & connections during the operation.

New battery going in too.

• Member Contributer

after you cleaned and made sure the blade connectors are snug, one last thing you can do is put a narrow tiewrap around the male/female plug to ensure the connection is very firm indeed.

post-8974-0-83454300-1403508781.jpg

I just had Gary at Custom Rewind do one for me. I think it was $135 including shipping back to me. Mine hasn't failed yet, but I have almost 68k miles on it. My GF's VFR has 27k on it too with no issues, so I figured with having 2 of them in household, I should have a spare stator sitting around.

• Member Contributer

after you cleaned and made sure the blade connectors are snug, one last thing you can do is put a narrow tiewrap around the male/female plug to ensure the connection is very firm indeed.

Great point, will do.

I'll check out Gary's Custom Rewind and find out re; Canadian shipping. Not sure I would want to wait for shipping mine out and receiving back.

• Member Contributer

581370156_3wQux-XL-1.jpg

This is what Gary Custom Rewind stator's look like with the extra green coating which has a higher temp rating.

I am gonna send him one of my burnt stators. I figure as long as I have one on the shelf the other one in the bike will never fail ?

581370156_3wQux-XL-1.jpg

This is what Gary Custom Rewind stator's look like with the extra green coating which has a higher temp rating.

I am gonna send him one of my burnt stators. I figure as long as I have one on the shelf the other one in the bike will never fail ?

How much does he charge for one of those?

• Member Contributer

I got a rewind and it had the same problem as it had when I sent it out. Purchased a new OEM and was good to go without fuss. For 70k mi the price for OEM seems worth it to me.

• Member Contributer

I got a rewind and it had the same problem as it had when I sent it out. Purchased a new OEM and was good to go without fuss. For 70k mi the price for OEM seems worth it to me.

thtanner - Who was your rewind vendor?

• Member Contributer

581370156_3wQux-XL-1.jpg

I think about $140.00

http://www.customrewind.com/

Custom Rewind

2014 Pratt Hwy

Birmingham, AL, 35214

phone: 800-798-7282

581370156_3wQux-XL-1.jpg

Sorry but is that picture a joke, that's like putting an 500 degree oven inside a plastic bag , hows it supposed to dissipate heat?

• Member Contributer

Hmmm dont know but I also dont know how much heat it generate either .

But one thing i do know is that my riding mower has a 300W stator\rotor setup and its never that warm .

Good thing it got you home before winking out. Mine went out at about 65,000 miles in Yakima. Went in a bought a new battery and unhooked my headlights and made it home to Duvall just fine. Changed the stator and RR to Ricks and so far so good. Now that I've done it once here's what I'd do if again. I'd cut the connector off the stator and when I pulled the old wires out I'd connect a stiff wire to it so as to pull the new one back through. I did that last time as well, but I tried to pull it through with the connector on and that just drove me crazy. So I cut the connector off, pulled it through, and soldered it back on and heat shrinked the connections. All my volt readings are on spec and she's got only another 5,000 miles on since then so time will tell.

Good luck and keep us informed on the statorapendectomy.

• Member Contributer

Good thing it got you home before winking out. Mine went out at about 65,000 miles in Yakima. Went in a bought a new battery and unhooked my headlights and made it home to Duvall just fine. Changed the stator and RR to Ricks and so far so good. Now that I've done it once here's what I'd do if again. I'd cut the connector off the stator and when I pulled the old wires out I'd connect a stiff wire to it so as to pull the new one back through. I did that last time as well, but I tried to pull it through with the connector on and that just drove me crazy. So I cut the connector off, pulled it through, and soldered it back on and heat shrinked the connections. All my volt readings are on spec and she's got only another 5,000 miles on since then so time will tell.

+1

Ive seen pictures of his stators before, without the green goo, must be something new he's trying. If that stuff does break down, it could be a Huge mess. I'll check back in a year or so.

• Member Contributer

It really is YMMV when it comes to electrical components. I have a 95 with 168K km and am on the oem stator, but the 3rd r/r and 4th battery.

My r/r connector cooked on the first ride last season. I had only gotten as far as the gas station 1.2km away but the bike wouldn't start. So I called my wife and jumpstarted the bike from the car. The stator tested okay but the r/r was toast. I installed a VFRness and Rick's r/r. A Rick's stator sits waiting in my garage.

• Member Contributer

Ya, I learned that one the hard way too. Will definitely be using the old as a pull through.

I'll be looking at the connectors to see if I can free the clips inside before cutting it off.

If so, I'm planning on wiring them in with solder too.

Ordered with new gasket - $220 shipping incl. Went with OEM this time around.

Will post pics and such when the operation commences.

• Member Contributer

OK gots to know, ----- Has anybody really had an issue with the stator rework from Garys Custom Rewind? We have had some early Ricks stators eat it early, and some other rewind stator with no name mentioned. OEM seems to to be the standard bearer with expectation around 50k miles

So, tell the miles on the stator and whose it is..... real data....

:cool:

• Member Contributer

OEM is probably the best way to go. Are you changing the RR too, or did I miss that?

Nope, just the stator and battery.

I'll do a mileage calculation when I do the operation, as the one that went in in 2011 was a Rick's product.

I've got a pick of the OEM (I think) one that came out then and I'll compare to what comes out next weekend.

Archived