Experience With Stators - Buying

didit

• Member Contributer

Had the battery load tested. Other than a lower than new charge, they said it was holding fine at full charge, so I'll keep the battery.

Stator and gasket just arrived so the stator-ectomy is scheduled for Saturday, including a full accessory re-wire and oil change.

I'll make an attempt at action pics and video for posterity.

Results to follow.

• Member Contributer

OK, finally got the time to get this job done, in combination with 2 others.

It's frigg'n almost 38 degrees (108 F) in the day, so this started at 8 this morning.

Jobs to be compete: Stator-ectomy, oil change, re-wire accessories and re-locate fuse block.

All the plastics were off already, so it was dive in time. Started by draining the oil and removing the filter. Left it drip during the whole procedure.

Step 1: remove the overflow reservoir

Remove overflow bottle

Step 2: remove the flywheel cover

Remove flywheel cover

This felt a little difficult and took a little side to side wiggling, but mostly due to the magnetic field holding it in place.

There are 8 bolts and 2 spacers - one top and one bottom left - that need to be accounted for

Step 3: OMG that's an ugly site - remove the crispy stator (3 remaining coils)

Uuugghhly - stator removal

Upon closer inspection I noticed the screw for the wire loom retaining shield was embedded in the back of one of the coils.

2014 07 13 08.54.34

Wire retainer nut - culprit

Potentially causing a short? It was either something that vibrated loose over time or perhaps was never tightened properly the last time?

Step 4: remove the stator from the cover

4 allen screws hold it in place, plus the wire loom retaining screw.

New vs Old

out with the old

New vs Old 2

2014 07 13 08.58.24

I cut the old one off just above the rubber grommet **DO NOT PULL THIS OUT - YOU'LL NEED IT TO PULL THE NEW ONE THROUGH!!!**

You'll also need to spend a little time cleaning the old gasket out. A good sharp razor blade did the trip pretty well

I placed the cover open side down with a piece of shop towel, to help drain out the little bit of oil from inside the screw locations.

Step 5: check the flywheel housing for re-intall

Cleaned things up nice, made the sure spacers were in place

New gasket in place - spaces (2)

Step 6: install the new stator in the flywheel cover

I started by pushing the rubber grommet in first, then the stator seated nicely. 4 Allen bolts threaded back in nicely.

New stator bolted in

Made dam sure the wire loom retaining screw was in TIGHT!

Wire retainer in secure

Step 7: Re-install the stator & cover

I put the gasket on the bike side, using the spacers to hold it in place.

Unlike the first time, I made sure all wires were out of the way before tightening things down.

Old wires for pull through

Once all snugged down, I looped the harness clip end over the frame bolt in prep for pulling through.

Make sure to loop up first

Step 8: Route the harness back to the other side.

This is why you DON'T WANT TO PULL OUT THE OLD WIRES as they are key in getting the new harness through.

This time it went quite easy, with a lot of black electrical tape and some lubricating oil

It took a little farting around, the aid of a long push rod but it came through, ready for reconnecting.

For good measure, here's the OEM box number.

OEM part number

Closing steps:

- re-install the overflow bottle

The following are because I did an oil change too - not stator specific

- re-install the oil pan drain plug

- install pre-soaked oil filter

- pour in 3.5 ltr of oil

- reconnected the stator harness to the RR connector.

- re-install the battery that had been on charge from the day before

Prior to starting up again, I had also removed all accessory wiring and relocated my fuse block.

Re-wired all accessories with all new grounds and removed the power-let outlet. Never have used it, so one less thing to worry about.

Double check everything that needed to be in place was. Turn the key and fired up.

Checked the battery, getting 14 v and growing as revved.

Checked the stator connections and getting upto 50 v off each at just over 3000 rpm. YES!

Buttoned things back up, installing 4 new well nuts

The seat fits perfect, even better than previous, with the new fuse block location and wire re-routing.

GPS powers up. Radar powers up and it's all good.

Finishing time was around 1:30 PM. Too frick'n hot to wash it so the cleaning duty will have to wait.

Feels good to have this done, and thanks to zoomzoom for stopping by for moral and rewiring support.

Looking forward to a ride next weekend!

• Member Contributer

It's a great feeling. Now to give it a great cleaning. Next . . . actually ride it again.

By the way, thanks for the side line help Switchblade. confidence inspiring to say the least.

Qdawg coming - ride looming. Of course with temps next week in the 108 - 110 range, I'm more interested in night riding.

Archived