Right Hand Going Numb.. And An Idea

Guest Treevvizard

Question

Guest Treevvizard

does anyone else have a problem with their right hand going numb on longer trips?

I'v ridden my share of different bikes and this has never happened before but I have an idea

It seems that the throttle spring is also the most stiff thing I'v encountered on a bike and I think loosening the resistance of that spring will fix my problem

anyone ever attempted this or know how to do it?

thanks!!

FIRST, hose down the return spring & all throttle linkage (there's more under the air box) with a GOOD spray lube (not WD40). If you still think it's too strong after that then we can talk other measures.

• Member Contributer

Are you sure it is not hypertension in the muscles of the forearm, this will reduce blood flow and induce numbness due to pressure on the nerve bundles?

When I bought the bike a few months ago I performed a bunch of maintenance which included lubing the control cables. The throttle has a nice crisp snap shut when released.

when I start to notice the numb feeling it seems like the throttle return spring is putting to much tension on the skin of my hand by the sheer twisting forward force, that's why I think lightening the return spring would help.

Numb hand syndrome is common, often caused by supporting too much of your upper body with your arms. Arms should be bent and relaxed, lift outer part of palm off the grips to open up blood flow to hands. Slight changes in posture are needed for riding this type of bike effectively. When you get it right they are very comfortable for long distance. Having less weight on the tailbone pays off if you are not supporting the upper body on your hands.

Cramp Buster added to the throttle grip could help. I don't know how the throttle spring could easily be adjusted.

I did a quick search and didn't pull up anything.

There was a great article I read in one of the moto rags twenty plus years ago:

"carb pull tunnel syndrome"

It was quite funny.

• Member Contributer

Numb hand syndrome is common, often caused by supporting too much of your upper body with your arms. Arms should be bent and relaxed, lift outer part of palm off the grips to open up blood flow to hands. Slight changes in posture are needed for riding this type of bike effectively. When you get it right they are very comfortable for long distance. Having less weight on the tailbone pays off if you are not supporting the upper body on your hands.

Cramp Buster added to the throttle grip could help. I don't know how the throttle spring could easily be adjusted.

:1: I had a similar issue with long trips on my 2006. I made four changes that solved it for me--though I don't know whether it was one of the changes or all of them together. 1.) I worked on my stomach muscles to help take weight off the handlebars; 2.) I consciously loosened my grip on the throttle; 3.) I installed Heli-bars to change the angle to the bars; and 4.) I bought a Vista Cruise so that when I'm stuck droning along the slab I can take my right hand off the throttle and shake it out, flex it, or lay it across the tank bag.

When I bought the bike a few months ago I performed a bunch of maintenance which included lubing the control cables. The throttle has a nice crisp snap shut when released.

when I start to notice the numb feeling it seems like the throttle return spring is putting to much tension on the skin of my hand by the sheer twisting forward force, that's why I think lightening the return spring would help.

The vfr throttle pull is not hard unless something is wrong with yours, otherwise I wouldn't touch it for safety reasons. The vfr rear sweep of the clip-ons KOCKS your wrists inward and you knuckles outward. Try raising the clip-ons out of the detents, shift them forward a little bit and see how that does, cramp busters are pretty simple too. But for long runs a hard to beat a throttle meister.

+1 ^

After numerous years of thumb locks and bulky crampbusters I moved into a set of T-meisters.

A little twist of the knob sets the enough drag on the throttle return tension for the concern the OP stats or full lock for cruising.

• Member Contributer

A throttle rocker can make a huge difference - instead of holding onto the grip you can rest your hand on it.

It's an inexpensive investment - try one out before making any permanent changes to the bike.

This is an interesting new idea for a throttle lock - Go Cruise. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and this may be worth a try this summer.

http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=98

I have a thing similar to this, and also a Throttle Rocker like Mello Dude posts.

I prefer the first thing, since it allows you to take your right hand completely off the bars for a bit.

But, they both have their use. :cool:

• Member Contributer

A mc riding policeman who first responded to a crash I had on a freeway cloverleaf loop attribute my crash and the crash of a fellow mc riding officer to the throttle rocker I was using at the time. I had carpal tunnel syndrom at the time (since surgically fixed). He said that while I was counter steering I put a slight input to the throttle rocker that increased my speed just enough to miss missing the curb by one foot. Suggested I not use it in urban riding; just on long-distance freeway riding.

I've never used one since.

I believe the key to keeping your weight off your wrists is to use your legs to grip the tank, put a s-curve in your spine to sit up straight, and put your abs in play to hold your weight off your arms. It takes time to build up the necessary strength. By the end of my first month riding I'm back in shape and can do it all day.

As a side benefit, the strengthing of my core has reduced my back pain issues tremendously.

I'm 65 yrs old; if I can do it you can too. :)

added: It also helps to keep the balls of your feet on the rider's peg; makes for a good anchor point and helps leverage.

• Member Contributer

A mc riding policeman who first responded to a crash I had on a freeway cloverleaf loop attribute my crash and the crash of a fellow mc riding officer to the throttle rocker I was using at the time. I had carpal tunnel syndrom at the time (since surgically fixed). He said that while I was counter steering I put a slight input to the throttle rocker that increased my speed just enough to miss missing the curb by one foot. Suggested I not use it in urban riding; just on long-distance freeway riding.

I believe the key to keeping your weight off your wrists is to use your legs to grip the tank, put a s-curve in your spine to sit up straight, and put your abs in play to hold your weight off your arms. It takes time to build up the necessary strength. By the end of my first month riding I'm back in shape and can do it all day.

As a side benefit, the strengthing of my core has reduced my back pain issues tremendously.

65 and tough as nails !

• Member Contributer

65 and tough as nails !

I eat them for breakfast. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

I bought a throttle rocker, installed it, and tried it out... once only. Not sure how people avoid adding throttle input on decel. I've since installed a vista-cruise intended for yamaha by honing out the inner diameter and cutting a slice out of my throttle grip. I also ground off some of the length of the thumb actuator to prevent it hitting my tank at full lock.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how people avoid adding throttle input on decel.

It's called paying attention. You cant blame a crash on the throttle rocker. - -Work on your skills.... if you dont weight your wrists in the first place you wont have a problem. -- You are in control of the motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

Does the whole hand go numb or just a few fingers ? Think hard about this question.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how people avoid adding throttle input on decel.

It's called paying attention. You cant blame a crash on the throttle rocker. - -Work on your skills.... if you dont weight your wrists in the first place you wont have a problem. -- You are in control of the motorcycle.
Point taken. This is a constant battle for me being a desk jockey .

• Member Contributer

No amount of physical fitness can overcome buzzy 'bars, you need to rest your hand from time to time. A good throttle lock is the best way to do so, and like Superfunkomatic, I swear by the Go-Cruise. Throttle Rockers are the work of Satan - avoid at all costs ;-P

VTec VFRs seem more likely to cause numbness, and on mine the buzz is worst at steady speeds at mid-revs. My '98 or '99 800s were much smoother and never bothered me. My '09 is so bad that I nearly sold it after the first trip. Luckily the Go-Cruise makes it manageable.

• Member Contributer

My rt hand goes numb on my 94 VFR and my 94-97 VFR RR, due to degenerative disc disease in C4 & C5. I find that the position of my head influences the numbness alot, and I have to concentrate on holding my head perfectly level(if I look up my hands go numb w/in minutes). My 99 ZRX is better for extended rides in that it's a more upright riding position. Don't know if you could have neck issues starting , but try changing your head position and see if it helps.

My GF rode my GSXR600 for about a year before she got her own bike and it can be real buzzy. The first time we went on a 2 hour ride, she complained she couldn't feel her hand for 2 days. I ended up buying a pair of Grip Puppies. I figured for $10 it was worth it and she said it made a huge difference. Actually 3 years later, they are still on the bike. They help for me too when I ride the bike because the size of my hands. I hate the small diameter grips on the bike and these increase the diameter.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/GRIPPUP/GPSMALL.html

• Member Contributer

I used a Throttle Rocker for years on four different bikes and never had a control problem. There are two models of the Throttle Rocker, the original all-plastic one and the 'Mark II' model that attaches with a velcro strap. Definitely go for the original, once it's in place it stays there. I could never get the one with the velcro strap to stay in position now matter how much I tried to tighten it.

https://throttlerocker.3dcartstores.com/

At $11 it's a great investment in comfort and not as fiddly as a cruise control or even the Throttlemeister, which I used for a couple of years on an ST-1100 but never really liked very much.

Archived