Rice-O-Rama 1St Place...wadda Ya Know.

Kel

• Member Contributer

I headed down to Rice-O-Rama yesterday. Thought I'd throw the old girl in to the big leagues this year. It's the biggest vintage Japanese bike show in the north east if not the entire east. The weather was perfect, high 50's at 8am and low 70's at 3pm.

When I got to the event, I had no idea where to go once inside. One of the staff directed me to the custom sport bike group and I slotted her in between a few bikes and headed off to register. Put my number on and headed out to check out the many cool bikes there. Ran into tomk1960 and Dmitry(both members here), cool dudes.

There's also a swap meet so it's a good place to grab some hard to find parts or pick up an odd tank and tail for that cafe project.

Well trophy time rolls around and they rattle off names and I wasn't really paying attention 'cause A, I was exchanging contact info with a guy who's buddy needed some R parts and B, I didn't think I had any chance of placing. It was really about just being in the middle of it all and shooting the shit with a bunch of bikers that are peers in both age and the love of old bikes. There were no 2nd or third place awards in the sport bike class so when they announced the winner it came out of no where. The guy who I was talking with said " Hey, I think they just said '85 VF1000R for first place." Sure enough, damn if she didn't win 1st.

There's some weird pattern forming here that I'm not sure I understand. There are chips, and rusty philips screws and faded master cylinders and a host of other things that I clearly see. I don't know.

Anyway...

525cb56d-c1cc-4cd6-8033-e050028bc584_zps

Something for everyone...

IMG_2960_zps7c5cc48a.jpg?t=1378736207

IMG_2959_zpscf15c4b6.jpg?t=1378736288

IMG_2958_zpsa1dd4c47.jpg?t=1378736352

IMG_2957_zps7879721e.jpg?t=1378736392

IMG_2956_zps0f3bcaeb.jpg?t=1378736435

IMG_2954_zps121cec67.jpg?t=1378736503

IMG_2953_zps2c25af8d.jpg?t=1378736573

IMG_2951_zpsecd81333.jpg?t=1378736621

IMG_2950_zps29d3b4a5.jpg?t=1378736675

IMG_2949_zpsfdff4f70.jpg?t=1378736722

IMG_2948_zpsfb0a0a75.jpg?t=1378736786

IMG_2964_zps7f48d486.jpg?t=1378736060

IMG_2963_zps18bfcc56.jpg?t=1378736097

• Member Contributer

Nice! Congratulations on your win. That must have been a pleasant surprise.

• Member Contributer

Wow, some very cool bikes. I really like that retro cafe racer with the single sided swingarm. I wonder where he got the frame. Think it's really a Ducati frame?

Congrats on your win. Even unexpected as it was.

Some fantastic looking bikes there, but no surprise with the winner of best sportsbike :fing02:

You and Tom should take your bikes around to all the shows, and clean up :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

A little honda polish goes a long way. Congrats. Not that you didn't know how special and amazing your bike was. Cool that other people thought so too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all.

Some fantastic looking bikes there, but no surprise with the winner of best sportsbike :fing02:You and Tom should take your bikes around to all the shows, and clean up :cheerleader:

There were more than a few conversations as to why it was in the custom sportbike class. Many thought it was a stock RVF1000R till I explained the many "custom" bits and that there's no such thing as an RVF1000R. :goofy:

I don't know if I'd want mine sitting next to Tom's. Mine would become a leaning post for people taking pics of his.

A little honda polish goes a long way. Congrats. Not that you didn't know how special and amazing your bike was. Cool that other people thought so too.

I need another can or 2! Funny, I sat down saturday night with the intention of detailing every last piece. I gave up after the wheels...just not in me.

Feels good doesn't it? :fing02:

Thought I might see the F out there. You'd love it there. Lots of VERY knowledgeable folks from all back grounds. You can easily find yourself in a conversation with someone for an hour.

Thought I might see the F out there. You'd love it there. Lots of VERY knowledgeable folks from all back grounds. You can easily find yourself in a conversation with someone for an hour.

Sorry, I thought so too but I completely forgot about both events! (F ride and ROR)

I spent the weekend outdoors working on my back deck. Amazing weather.

• Member Contributer

Wow, some very cool bikes. I really like that retro cafe racer with the single sided swingarm. I wonder where he got the frame. Think it's really a Ducati frame?

Congrats on your win. Even unexpected as it was.

Not a Ducati frame, the "monster" on the tank denotes the sound from the exhaust. I think it started life as a stock CB frame with some bits added.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I thought so too but I completely forgot about both events! (F ride and ROR)

I spent the weekend outdoors working on my back deck. Amazing weather.

I was lucky enough to do the CB1100F Fall Ride and then stop at ROR on the way home. I saw Kel's bike again and then we met up a little while later, so I finally got to connect a face to a bike. There were no other bikes even close in comparison, Kel. You won that trophy fair and square, so bask in the limelight since you deserve it.

It was a decent show but it needs better organization from a show bike and food standpoint. This is the result of a great bike show growing so fast that they can't keep up with it. I have to wonder how long it will take before they have to relocate for a 3rd or 4th time due to outgrowing the venue. Too bad they can't do one in the spring too. We need more of these events.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! Glad your bike got the recognition it deserves! Thanks for sharing the photos of all the cool bikes!!!

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! I really wanted to get up to the show but had to support at work instead. One of these events...

That trophy will look good in the living room, right next to the RVF1000R! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! I really wanted to get up to the show but had to support at work instead. One of these events...

That trophy will look good in the living room, right next to the RVF1000R! :fing02:

Next year for sure.

• Member Contributer

Friend of mine had a CX650 turbo. Gotta to ride it a couple of times it was like riding a 2-stroke bike ...

The one closest in the picture had a for sale sign on it with an asking price of $12k. I asked him at the end of the day if he had any nibbles. He said no but that's what it would take to pry it away from him. I told him he was a genius, tell the wife you're trying hard to sell the bike but there's just no takers...hmm.

I really enjoyed your pictures. Thanx. Each year Rice O' Rama and the Euro Bike event at Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation, in Brookline, MA are on the same day. With 4 Japanese bikes and 4 Italian bikes, plus a few people I would never see if didn't go to Larz I keep going back . . 21 years. I've got to move around faster. R o'R is looking better and better. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

Congratulations, Kel.

Gotta tell you after reading about the build and everything, well deserved.

It's nice to see some of the people "judging" this kind of stuff to give proper kudos to those who keep their rides on the roads rather than being a trailer queen. Well done!

• Member Contributer

I really enjoyed your pictures. Thanx. Each year Rice O' Rama and the Euro Bike event at Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation, in Brookline, MA are on the same day. With 4 Japanese bikes and 4 Italian bikes, plus a few people I would never see if didn't go to Larz I keep going back . . 21 years. I've got to move around faster. R o'R is looking better and better. Good fortune, R3~

I've been meaning to get over to Larz. Bummer it's always on the same day. Might have to pick me up something from the old world for an excuse to go.

Congratulations, Kel.

Gotta tell you after reading about the build and everything, well deserved.

It's nice to see some of the people "judging" this kind of stuff to give proper kudos to those who keep their rides on the roads rather than being a trailer queen. Well done!

Thanks bud.

The ride was 2 hours on a hard seat with even harder old butt. Mass roads are the worst in the country for potholes. It was not as bad going home for some reason, perhaps the prize in my backpack helped a little. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Friend of mine had a CX650 turbo. Gotta to ride it a couple of times it was like riding a 2-stroke bike ...

The one closest in the picture had a for sale sign on it with an asking price of $12k. I asked him at the end of the day if he had any nibbles. He said no but that's what it would take to pry it away from him. I told him he was a genius, tell the wife you're trying hard to sell the bike but there's just no takers...hmm.

It was a blast to ride but you had to get use to the power band until the turbo kick in is was totally lame.

Archived