Br's Texasmac Event Review 2013

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Loved the beer, shirt, and all the folks. Great time had by all! Now if we could just ban all the LEO's....no offense Timmy. It's an event I look forward to every year, keep up the good work!

Bailey - you bare most of the weight of organizing this awesome event - pick the weekend that works for you, and let it be known as far in advance as possible.

You'll never be able to satisfy everyone - as hard as you might try!

Special thanks to all that donated SWAG for the prize portion of our event - I think its safe to say it was a classic sitcom that was evolving in front of us! Great job to CornerCarver and Timmythesmalldickedsmurf now known as Timmythecop.

I had a great time, was great to catch up with old friends, and had great rides. Already trying to figure out how to make another trip happen before the summer is over!

• Member Contributer

I hope to receive my two XL tee-shirts in the mail. I'm also interested in a hat. I'll consider going next year but won't be riding at night through deer-infested farm land.

:-)

• Member Contributer

Intercontinental flight prices should come down...... :goofy:

I hope to receive my two XL tee-shirts in the mail. I'm also interested in a hat.

:-)

It will be done and a special thanks to you for standing by a fallen comrade! :fing02:

to be honest I haven't even unpacked or looked at the Tmac stuff yet. Should do inventory this week and order a second production run of tees & hats as needed.

BR

• Member Contributer

Kev, I want to thank you for all your hard work on this event. You make it happen and it is the best. I'm just sorry I was not there to help lead the scenic folks. I plan to be back next year, with MotorMike as my wing man because he is the best. As PairOfAces said, "The legions of Hell will not keep me away."

I am enjoying all the news and have lived vicariously through everyone's reports.

I propose all you creatively minded peeps come up with a fitting way to honor Baileyrock for making this happen. He deserves a King Of T-Mac shirt at least. And not some simple-assed tee shirt. BR deserves at least a polo shirt. :cool: Just slightly kidding.

• Member Contributer

BR,

As a first time attendee from the flatlands, I had a fantastic time. The camraderie of VFRD people cannot be beat. You did an outstanding job of organizing the event, the hotel seemed to be apprciative of our stay, the BBQ was excellent and things went quite smoothly. My only question (or suggestion) is: has there been any thought to having the meet mid week? This would allow the long distance folks to travel to and from without a hard scramble to get there or back home. I realize most of the attendees are within a days ride, but it might be something to consider. All in all an OUTSTANDING event! I appreciate your efforts.

Kev, I want to thank you for all your hard work on this event. You make it happen and it is the best. I'm just sorry I was not there to help lead the scenic folks. I plan to be back next year, with MotorMike as my wing man because he is the best. As PairOfAces said, "The legions of Hell will not keep me away."

I am enjoying all the news and have lived vicariously through everyone's reports.

I propose all you creatively minded peeps come up with a fitting way to honor Baileyrock for making this happen. He deserves a King Of T-Mac shirt at least. And not some simple-assed tee shirt. BR deserves at least a polo shirt. :cool: Just slightly kidding.

Thanks Terry, you were missed!

PS I don't play Polo! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

A quick rummage through my cycle shirt drawer revealed that my first TMac was 2007, number 4. You continue to do an amazing job at herding cats (motorcyclists are nothing if not stubbornly individualistic) and making each year better.

I did have to cut short or miss a few events in the middle of these past seven years due to a large trade show that usually conflicts with this event.

While I like the staff/location/shop towels of the Microtel I would volunteer to search for a site that has a similar number of rooms in the crappy pre-interstate travel cookie cutter design. I am a bit nostalgic for an older hotel with exterior entry doors, possibly laid out in a "U" that would allow/invite more of the camaraderie of past events. You have done a mazing job of covering this weakness by having the covered area out back (and the kegs didn't hurt).

On more suggestion, if the event can be held the week prior to Memorial Day each year we could start a little earlier (Wednesday? Tuesday?) and have the "Awards Dinner" on Friday night instead of Saturday, then many could honor family commitments by traveling home on Saturday or Sunday. I believe this would allow more attendees to make a week of it as the Monday before Memorial Day is a Canadian holiday. It could be more of a come early or stay late, whatever fits your schedule.

• Member Contributer

Kevin, sounds like You had another GREAT T-Mac success. Couldn't make it this year (You and I have discussed my Mom's medical issues and Business situation) due to this and a Family Ride I had to lead to West Tennessee on Saturday that was booked well over a year ago. I still planned to try to head up on Sunday, but alas, that Plan didn't work out either.....Glad Everyone had a Great and Safe time, even if some bikes were rashed. Cheers to the continued success and growth of a Classic Motorcycle Event..... :beer: PS: Wish I had known Ya'll were at Rock Island...woulda' snuck off and took the 40 minute ride up there..... :491:

• Member Contributer

first, thank you Kevin.

beer selection was top notch.

Loved the t's

Memorial Day weekend worked wonderfully for me, especially in that it saved a vaca day or two... but that's me.

i liked the green T.... as long as no one got hurt, anyway...

• Member Contributer

A great time was had by all, Memorial Day weekend was OK for me and the shirts were awesome and free ones were even better.

BUT it looks like to me next year Microtel mite be a little small. It just may be time to start looking for a bigger vinue or at least be prepare for more rooms for over flow..

everything was perfect. I cant imagine organizing this kind of thing. Really, really liked the T-Shirts. (maybe a long sleeved option for next time?)

One suggestion is for myself. I must find a way to make the Sat, Night Gala better. I need to come up with some real awards and super groovy prizes. I have a year to figure it out. (and we definitely need a microphone) One can only go so far in handing out PBR cans.

Any suggestions, contact Kanadian Ken.

BUT it looks like to me next year Microtel mite be a little small. It just may be time to start looking for a bigger vinue or at least be prepare for more rooms for over flow..

We can look around, But the Microtel has 61 rooms and held them ALL for us until 30 days out(April 23rd) and they released 13 unreserved rooms. :wacko:

No hotel/motel will hold rooms indefinitely and it's hard for me to tell another one we can/will fill it up when we can't even do it a before they release any unreserved rooms.

Seems like the Microtel is just big enough for now.

Not sure if there are bigger motels in Franklin, but we can look around.

BR,

It was an absolute pleasure to meet up and ride with you all at TMAC. I only wish I could have been there for more of the weekend. I was at the tail end of people who registered, and the tail end of people who ate barbeque, so I won't complain about only getting one rib :) If there had been more barbeque, I surely would have demolished it. Love the T-Shirt though, definitely stick with the higher-quality.

Huge thanks go to the ride leaders. Next time, lunch is on me. I learned more in that two days of riding than I have in the fourteen years since I took the MSF course and got my license. Kevin and Ken and the boys showed me what a VFR (and a Gold Wing, for that matter) is capable of. Huge props to them.

As a proud recipient of the Green Jersey, I say continue the tradition. It is most certainly not a reward. I will forever remember the epic chewing outs and weeks of merciless ribbing that would follow mistakes I made during my first year as an officer. I have earned several unfortunate nicknames that only my fellow morning watch officers will understand. They insured that I would pay better attention next time and not take lightly things that could have been fatal mistakes. Our first instinct, after surviving a mistake, is to downplay the seriousness of the mistake because we came out unscathed. We want to make ourselves feel good, but it is far better for us in the long run to be not-so-gently and persistently reminded that we are engaging in a life-threatening, high-risk endeavor, are very capable of making life-ending mistakes through inattention and over-excitement, and have a pressing need to be humble and attentive to nitty gritty details.

Especially for us young bucks, the Green Jersey is a humbler. I learned that I can carve really low, but my reaction to gravel is wrong and needs to be improved. And I learned that at the cost of some scraped up fairings, and now I have some further incentive to make sure I work on that skill. It's odd that we as humans are more motivated by peer pressure than actual risk, but that is the mechanism we have to work with, so let's make the best of it. We naturally want to hide from and minimize our errors, to ignore them rather than learning from them, and we benefit greatly from not being allowed to do that. And hopefully, the public rehashing of our mistakes can serve as a good training opportunity for everybody else. I

If nothing else, the "leader" jersey helps all 70 attendees keep in mind that any one of us is, at any time, capable of screwing up and getting hurt. I think it helps keep everyone on their toes. I say we stick with it, so long as it is painful. I don't think it was an award, and I'm pretty sure Vadis agrees with me :)

• Member Contributer

I was considering making my first TMAC trip this year until an unexpected family commitment came up. I've got family in Flat Rock, NC that decided to come North that weekend. :mad:

Sounds like a great event. Hoping to join in one of these days.

• Member Contributer

We missed both Muff and Skuuter. let us know if you need anything.

• Forum CEO

The food - was a hit

The beer - was a hit

The tent - great idea

Chairs - just about the right amount

Group photo - we missed the morning opportunity, but it worked pre dinner, some crazy Canadian was already packed and ready to go though

Itinerary - perhaps next year a sign posted with the itinerary, ride meetings, group photo, dinner, or any other thing I cant think of.

The hotel - is great, they did a good job, and got us in without even a reservation btw

Thanks again for putting up with us, me and my bunch, we were slow I know.

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

Don't get stressed over this!!! The hotel is great - just think what they put up with... Guys arriving late and trying to find roomies they'd never met, beer kegs in the breakfast room, burnouts in the parking lot (oh, right, that was some other group...).

The beer kicked it up a huge notch. Fantastic T shirts. BBQ...mmm, BBQ.

BTW, the gas station next door had some fantastic detailed maps of the area. I'm going to bug Jason and Laird for their routes, and next year I'll lead a ride or two. What's slower than 'scenic', but faster than 'tanning at the hotel'?

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I was a little worried about it being on the long weekend this year. But traffic actually seemed lighter and the weather was so much nicer than the weekend before.

Kevin as normal you did an outstanding job, looking forward to 2014

I wasn't too sure about the holiday weekend thing, but I think it ended up working out very well for me. Gave me Monday to relax before going back to work.

Shirts were great

Food was great

I didn't drink the beer, although it was a nice thing to do

I did like the Franklin Inn better for the night time gathering. People could just sit in front of their room and hang out. That arrangement seemed to be better than the Microtel. That being said, the Microtel was a nicer hotel, had breakfast for us, and had gas and restaurants right next door. That was nice and convenient. The hotel price was good too for everything we got.

• Member Contributer

A Saturday evening banquet combined with the Memorial weekend event and 1,200 miles to travel probably means I would skip the banquet because I would probably need to work the day after Memorial day. A Friday banquet would be preferred but you can't please everyone.

That being said, the Microtel was a nicer hotel, had breakfast for us,

Breakfast? What breakfast? :unsure::goofy: (if they moved up from the waffles, I eat my words)

THIS is a breakfast no?

(White Heart Hotel, Port Ellen, Islay)

It's called FREE, continental breakfast and as it offers several forms of subsistence at the Event HQ it's much easier to get the meetings and groups in the morning. :fing02:

Then the rides usually includes a stop at a nice eatery for a tasty lunch! :tongue:

A Saturday evening banquet combined with the Memorial weekend event and 1,200 miles to travel probably means I would skip the banquet because I would probably need to work the day after Memorial day. A Friday banquet would be preferred but you can't please everyone.

Mike, a few members have suggested a Friday evening Dinner, but for the most part unless we change the event to a weekday one it will always remain a Saturday evening dinner after the last days ride. This works for the largest number of members as most are considered local and it takes less days off work like me! :tongue:

Obviously folks coming in from greater distances would like a weekday event.

BR

Archived