Br's Texasmac Event Review 2013

with the super lead time you gave us, I had my leave on the books for 8 months, so the timing made no difference to me.

I really like the idea of a bulletin board with an itinerary and a place to leave members messages. I also like the idea of a map with pins from member's start points.

The rest was perfect for me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

memorial day 2014 is early next yr. 5/26/2014. being retired i will always intend to attend. my biggest concern regarding timing: i need motormike as a wingman. he's the best!

If I go next year it won't be so early. Maybe leave home Tuesday and arrive home Tuesday.

You guys just need to ride Faster, during the day!

BR,

It was an absolute pleasure to meet up and ride with you all at TMAC. I only wish I could have been there for more of the weekend. I was at the tail end of people who registered, and the tail end of people who ate barbeque, so I won't complain about only getting one rib :) If there had been more barbeque, I surely would have demolished it. Love the T-Shirt though, definitely stick with the higher-quality.

Huge thanks go to the ride leaders. Next time, lunch is on me. I learned more in that two days of riding than I have in the fourteen years since I took the MSF course and got my license. Kevin and Ken and the boys showed me what a VFR (and a Gold Wing, for that matter) is capable of. Huge props to them.

As a proud recipient of the Green Jersey, I say continue the tradition. It is most certainly not a reward. I will forever remember the epic chewing outs and weeks of merciless ribbing that would follow mistakes I made during my first year as an officer. I have earned several unfortunate nicknames that only my fellow morning watch officers will understand. They insured that I would pay better attention next time and not take lightly things that could have been fatal mistakes. Our first instinct, after surviving a mistake, is to downplay the seriousness of the mistake because we came out unscathed. We want to make ourselves feel good, but it is far better for us in the long run to be not-so-gently and persistently reminded that we are engaging in a life-threatening, high-risk endeavor, are very capable of making life-ending mistakes through inattention and over-excitement, and have a pressing need to be humble and attentive to nitty gritty details.

Especially for us young bucks, the Green Jersey is a humbler. I learned that I can carve really low, but my reaction to gravel is wrong and needs to be improved. And I learned that at the cost of some scraped up fairings, and now I have some further incentive to make sure I work on that skill. It's odd that we as humans are more motivated by peer pressure than actual risk, but that is the mechanism we have to work with, so let's make the best of it. We naturally want to hide from and minimize our errors, to ignore them rather than learning from them, and we benefit greatly from not being allowed to do that. And hopefully, the public rehashing of our mistakes can serve as a good training opportunity for everybody else. I

If nothing else, the "leader" jersey helps all 70 attendees keep in mind that any one of us is, at any time, capable of screwing up and getting hurt. I think it helps keep everyone on their toes. I say we stick with it, so long as it is painful. I don't think it was an award, and I'm pretty sure Vadis agrees with me :)

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback and great to meet you and have you join us Danial. :beer:

If the Green jersey is used in the vein of of what you suggest I think it is a positive reinforcement of pier pressure to Not screw up, there is nothing to prove just a desire to enjoy a great day riding with friends and tell tails, some of them true to our friends at the end of each journey! :woohoo:

BR

Archived