Br's Texasmac Event Review 2013

Itinerary - perhaps next year a sign posted with the itinerary, ride meetings, group photo, dinner, or any other thing I cant think of.

The hotel - is great, they did a good job, and got us in without even a reservation btw

That's a great idea, it's in the books! :beer:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Kevin, I read all this and by all accounts, most had a great time. When you do that well, only moderate tweaking is needed. Congrats to you and all that helped. Maybe next year time will let me join in the fun.

Thanks, Kevin. Here's a vid of the ride I took on Sunday (after most everyone had left) with fellow VFR riders Oyama and Bob:

BTW, I've also posted vids of my 3-day route from MD to Franklin, NC (and the so-called Back of the Dragon (16 through WV and VA) is special) to my VFR Zen You Tube channel. I will be posting vids of my ride home over the next few weeks. Hope you all enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Nice vid! That must have been a pretty early run through The Dragon, barely any traffic, and I don't even think I saw a photog!

• Member Contributer

it was weird not seeing anyone come past you and only seeing a few vehicles heading toward NC in that video. cool video but I still hate how much the fish eye lense straightens out the road

• Member Contributer

A Saturday evening banquet combined with the Memorial weekend event and 1,200 miles to travel probably means I would skip the banquet because I would probably need to work the day after Memorial day. A Friday banquet would be preferred but you can't please everyone.

Mike, a few members have suggested a Friday evening Dinner, but for the most part unless we change the event to a weekday one it will always remain a Saturday evening dinner after the last days ride. This works for the largest number of members as most are considered local and it takes less days off work like me! :tongue:

Obviously folks coming in from greater distances would like a weekday event.

BR

Being on Memorial Day weekend addresses this request pretty well. 2 full days to get home and back to work.

Best you can do is pick what works for you, but pick a date early (like you've done in the past) so people and manage their own schedules and time off requests.

Thanks for the vid feedback. We were on Cherohala on Sunday morning about 10:30 AM while on Deal's Gap about 8:30 AM Monday morning. I love the Dragon but only when its like that (when the squids come out the danger needlessly arises and its not fun, IMHO). Stay tuned for eastern KY, SE OH and southern PA vids. The roads in eastern KY and southeastern OH were the shizzle.

It was pretty amazing (and I was riding conservatively since the last time I rode the Gap was in 1997 and I had the misfortune of watching my Dad hit a deer right in front of me on the TN side - thankfully he survived with only a few broken ribs and a collarbone but it was pretty unpleasant). Re the light traffic, over the years I've realized that when you want to ride the best (known) roads on a weekend you do so around 8 AM :cool: .

Sorry I missed this year, it sure sounds like it was a blast. For the record, I had vacation planned since February, but my Brother in Law visited from Minnesota and my wife and I rode with him instead... next year, I'll be back!

• Member Contributer

10-4 Sunday for me or the Hot Springs run if your interested.

Hot Springs and then home via 66 if you are interested. Incredible ride!

Did you guys know we actually have a PM system here on VFRD and if you used it the rest of us wouldn't be pissed at you two for rubbing your local in our faces! :tongue:

Yeah but what would the moderator do if we did that.

:goofy:

Oh I know what it is ITS DRAGON ENVY ..........

I would have to let HS respond to that one, but I think we already do very well with just member support in that area so don't know how big a need it would be.

Maybe a raffle to get each Mod a new bike, starting with that guy who puts those Tmac things together! :491:

• Member Contributer

I would have to let HS respond to that one, but I think we already do very well with just member support in that area so don't know how big a need it would be.

Maybe a raffle to get each Mod a new bike, starting with that guy who puts those Tmac things together! :491:

BR: You can't put 200K miles on those Chinese fairings if we buy you a new one...

Only suggestion is move the dinner to Friday night as already mentioned. Most people attending will be there by then (the event "officially" starts Thursday), correct? This would allow more riding earlier in the week when traffic should be less on popular roads and for folks to get back home in time for Memorial day or anniversary type events, if they choose, allowing for the best of both worlds. Yes, I know there will be exceptions, but this along with understanding significant others (what is Mrs. Carver's contact info?) should minimize the conflict. I also need those weekend days to "recover," and riding back the day before returning to work can be painful. I was (more) useless for most of the following week.

Kegs with quality beer, athletic tees, yellow creative riding tees to keep people in line, all good IMHO. Microtel is great. It isn't as cozy as Franklin Inn, but the tent and chairs in back help with that. You can't beat the value of decent waffle/sausage biscuit breakfast and evening cookies.

Can you order less rain and less gravel/mud/wet sand/potholes on Elijay road next time?

Only suggestion is move the dinner to Friday night as already mentioned. Most people attending will be there by then (the event "officially" starts Thursday), correct? This would allow more riding earlier in the week when traffic should be less on popular roads and for folks to get back home in time for Memorial day or anniversary type events, if they choose, allowing for the best of both worlds. Yes, I know there will be exceptions, but this along with understanding significant others (what is Mrs. Carver's contact info?) should minimize the conflict. I also need those weekend days to "recover," and riding back the day before returning to work can be painful. I was (more) useless for most of the following week.

I can run a poll, but think it's mostly attended by what I would call locals(less then a day away) like myself and like myself I wish to take as few days off as possible during the week so I can have more mini vacations throughout the year!

Again for me the Dinner means the event(riding part anyway) is finally over and I can start to relax when every rider is back safely at the motel. So having a Friday night Dinner would mean the event ends Friday.

Memorial weekend worked great for me as I road Wed., Thursday, Friday and Sat., road home Sunday and had Monday to begin to recover. :wink:

BR

beer - good

food - good

shirts - good

weekend - good (but works for me either way, anniversary be damned!)

leaving - sucks!

Prefer a motel setup cause I'm lazy, nice to not have to run in the building for every little thing BUT I have nothing against the Microtel. Good value for the dollar there for sure, love the south for that.

*If it were any other group of people* I would say the green jersey causes more undue mental anguish after an already bad day. However, with VFRD you get that special support that makes the day better instead of worse :smile:

Being on Memorial Day weekend addresses this request pretty well. 2 full days to get home and back to work.

Best you can do is pick what works for you, but pick a date early (like you've done in the past) so people and manage their own schedules and time off requests.

I may start a Poll about next years Memorial week/weekend or not?

Archived