Huntinggunns 2012 Build Thread

• Member Contributer

Wow - $5K off. That's incredible. My local Honda dealer does just the opposite - they RAISED the price of the leftover 2012 NC700Xs to mach the '13 pricing. WTF?

Bloomberg effect...

Kind of out of order but I finally got the pictures of her being "born".

I see Japan only trust American Honda employees to connect the battery and fill with fluids now...

Congrats Fred, Looks great!

And Adam, if you are lurking and realize you made a mistake with that 5th gen I think we were on deck in the batting order to purchase after you. Seriously, enjoy that one.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

How sickeningly cool is that?!

I've got another shirt for you, Fred. :fing02:

Thanks Jon. I will catch up with you when I get back. I try to promote VFRD every chance I get.

Thanks guys for all the compliments. I was pretty stoked at the price I paid for her. I was tempted to wait and see if they dropped any more but I also figured with all the changes they made to make the bike a little better that they would not be around for long, even at this price. Charles did say that they might be picking up a couple more from a dealer going out of business so if anyone is looking for one they might give DFW Honda a call.

And CC, yes, you were next up on the list. Might be hard to pry it from Adam now as I think he just ordered some suspension parts for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have just joined the VFRD. I have had my VFR 1200 3 week now i love it, i need to put some crash bungs on it, wouldn't like to scratch it, will have to find away of removing the panels so i can get to the engine bolts. Regards rasher1940

• 3 weeks later...

This one has not hit my radar in a while.

Didn't see the birthing / uncrating before.

I thought Honda left the dealers a bit more to do than install the battery and air the tires. Handlebars? Doesn't look like it there. :unsure:

That bag looks like it will stay put. Don't let the zipper pull mess up that nice blue paint!

Long experience and treachery wins over youth and enthusiasm every time. :beer:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally. Been a busy summer but got some more mods done. Here is the OE top case in blue with the OE mounts. Keith at Mason City has all the part numbers for the color coded cases. 20% off and free shipping. They are even in stock at the warehouse. He got the case and mount to me in 4 days. The case is big enough to hold enough clothes and stuff for a few days. Plenty of room for what I want.

Next up is the OE hugger. It fits perfect and looks pretty good. Enough protection to keep all the crap off the rear shock and a little under the tail.

Also installed the OE center stand. I know there are mixed opinions on center stands but I like the fact that I can throw it up in there any time I need to do maintenance. This is the easiest bike to put on a center stand that I have ever owned.

OE lowered seat option installed. It gives me the perfect fit to the ground I was looking for. I will run this seat until this winter when I will send off the other seat to Sargent for the upgrade and re-work. Then I will start a loan a seat program for others that want to do the same.

Power commander and Fuzeblock installed. The power commander has done wonders for the parking lots and really low speed. I built a little shelf for it and used pc board stand offs so I could keep the helmet lock tucked away where it is supposed to be. Throttle response is dead on now and no more twitchiness. I think I am going to run the auto tune on this one. The Fuzeblock is great as you can run circuits for switched and constant power. 6 circuits total with 30 amp max. I have my battery tender and 2 USB power ports installed right now.

Pair system is removed and my 315 dollar LEO Vince system is installed. I found a smoking deal on E-bay for a LEO system that had a crack in the carbon end cap. Called LEO Vince and ordered a new cap. Total with tax and shipping came out to 315 for the entire set up. I was pretty excited.

Twin 2.1 amp USB ports installed and my own version of the Ram mount system. I can charge my phone constantly on one as I use it to listen to my music and the Garmin or Go-Pro with the other. They fit perfectly tucked out of the way beside the ignition switch and the charging cords from the tank bag run straight down to them so no chance of getting tangled up on something.

Omni cruise installed. This thing is great for long rides as you can rest your hand a bit. Tension is adjustable by means of a thumbscrew. Machined from billet aluminum and anodized. Very well built piece.

Last is the Servo Buddy to get rid of the cable and motor for the OE exhaust system. I can say it works. I would like to put on a few hundred miles before I start up the group buy thread again on this but as of now, I am happy with it. Give me another week or so and I will feel comfortable with saying it is good to go.

More things to come but will wait till winter is here.

post-23180-0-03062700-1378428412.jpg

post-23180-0-11083700-1378428573.jpg

post-23180-0-17326600-1378428772.jpg

post-23180-0-06776700-1378428984.jpg

post-23180-0-54296200-1378429212.jpg

post-23180-0-06771900-1378429323.jpg

post-23180-0-80568200-1378429433.jpg

post-23180-0-99933900-1378429875.jpg

post-23180-0-33454600-1378430118.jpg

post-23180-0-96503300-1378430239.jpg

post-23180-0-33271400-1378430322.jpg

post-23180-0-41661500-1378430548.jpg

post-23180-0-78769100-1378430731.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice indeed, I can see in your future that the Fazer wil get some TLC too :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Looks Great, Fred! Nice collection of mods to really refine your ride...

Like the shirt you wore when you bought her!

• Member Contributer

Omni cruise installed. This thing is great for long rides as you can rest your hand a bit. Tension is adjustable by means of a thumbscrew. Machined from billet aluminum and anodized. Very well built piece.

That omni-cruise is a good looking piece of hardware and it's just what I've been looking for (an easily removable throttle lock). I had never heard of them before -- after reading your post I just ordered one.

Nice workmanship on all the mods; I can tell you that my wiring doesn't look like that!

• Member Contributer

Sorry guys, been busy and doing some riding in Arkansas. Can you say "fun". Anyway, thanks for all the compliments.

My God you HAVE been busy... wish I had your skills... How did you fix the USB connectors in place?

This mod will work an 5th and 6th gens also. Not sure about UK versions though with the HISS system. Anyway, 90 degree brackets cut and drilled to mount the USB ports to. Take the ignition switch cover off and install a couple of 5mm, I think, all thread studs in that. Then bolt it back together and zip tie the USB ports to the brackets. the reason for the studs is that it was a bit%$ trying to get the screws started and holding the brackets at the same time. I can explain better if I need to, just PM me.

• Member Contributer

Very nice indeed, I can see in your future that the Fazer wil get some TLC too :goofy:

The FZ got the TLC before Smurfette. That is why I am just now getting to play with her. I guess it is time to post up some info on the FZ since her debut was better than expected. Lisa rode the wheels off the FZ through the mountains in Arkansas. I think we got it dialed in pretty good.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Could be a fuse for a dedicated heated gear power feed...

But whatever the circuit, it's a water tight fuse holder.

Looks like an inline fuseholder taking power from batt+ before feeding the power distribution block. Very clean and orderly wiring run. Normally, I would keep the fuse as close to the batt+ as possible (<6" preferably, definitely no longer than 12") and away from any other wiring. Looks like it is bundled with a black ground wire and a yellow switched +12V line.

Oh I know what the circuits are for just not the Connector. The same kit by the same manufacturer has just the typical inline fuse holder with the water tight flip top cap.

I should have looked closer and saw there wasn't a fuse by the battery.

• Member Contributer

Anytime you order something Powerlet, you will get an inline fuse holder like that one...

Archived