Huntinggunns 2012 Build Thread

• Member Contributer

Surprised on the bike choice. I'm guessing price was a factor--you can get them uber cheap right now.

I always thought the FZ1 would have been a cool ride, why not that?

Or the FZ-09.

Or a Harley.

Price was not even a consideration. I had a VFR 1200, paid off mind you, and I almost pulled the trigger on the 8th Gen VFR. Depending upon options, you are talking around 13k or more for that bike. Then I rode the thing. The low speed fueling is still crap. Until Honda can sort out this problem I am going to pass on them. Because of a screw up on the ordering of the FZ8, which delayed it's arrival for a few weeks, the dealer was going to let me have a 2013 FZ1 for $800 dollars more than the FZ8, and a 2014 FZ1 in the new pearl white paint for 1300 more. So, money was not the concern and I really didn't want another liter bike, don't need the extra power. If you have not rode any other bikes you really can't compare. I have rode many in the last few months and the fueling on the FZ8 is about as smooth as you can find. That was my biggest goal after being on the big 1200. I didn't like the looks of the FZ09 and I will just leave the Harley poke alone.......I still have a couple of VFR's btw.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It looks like some of us are tooling around with other bikes... Me too. This is what I've been drooling over.

http://www.ktm.com/travel/1190-adventure-r-eu/highlights.html#.U-BFrONdXA0

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2014-KTM-1190-Adventure-R_11.jpg

Surprised on the bike choice. I'm guessing price was a factor--you can get them uber cheap right now.

Or the FZ-09.

Or a Harley.

Price was not even a consideration. I had a VFR 1200, paid off mind you, and I almost pulled the trigger on the 8th Gen VFR. Depending upon options, you are talking around 13k or more for that bike. Then I rode the thing. The low speed fueling is still crap. Until Honda can sort out this problem I am going to pass on them. Because of a screw up on the ordering of the FZ8, which delayed it's arrival for a few weeks, the dealer was going to let me have a 2013 FZ1 for $800 dollars more than the FZ8, and a 2014 FZ1 in the new pearl white paint for 1300 more. So, money was not the concern and I really didn't want another liter bike, don't need the extra power. If you have not rode any other bikes you really can't compare. I have rode many in the last few months and the fueling on the FZ8 is about as smooth as you can find. That was my biggest goal after being on the big 1200. I didn't like the looks of the FZ09 and I will just leave the Harley poke alone.......I still have a couple of VFR's btw.

Congratulations on your new bike. Hope you will stay in touch concerning farkles to the new Yamaha. I took a test ride on a 8th gen as well at my dealers open house day and like you found the low speed fueling to be crap. I am not surprised that the new Yamaha did not share this problem. My 14 FJR 1300ES has flawless fueling and unlike my 13 VFR 1200F traction control that works smoothly instead of abruptly like the Honda.

• Member Contributer

Or the FZ-09.

Or a Harley.

Congratulations on your new bike. Hope you will stay in touch concerning farkles to the new Yamaha. I took a test ride on a 8th gen as well at my dealers open house day and like you found the low speed fueling to be crap. I am not surprised that the new Yamaha did not share this problem. My 14 FJR 1300ES has flawless fueling and unlike my 13 VFR 1200F traction control that works smoothly instead of abruptly like the Honda.

Thanks John. I thought I was the only one that thought the new VFR had crappy low speed fueling. Try and hold the throttle in one position at 10 mph and it gets crazy. I'm not going anywhere, I still have other VFR's and always will. I will just stick to the ones that made the VFR what it was in it's prime, unless they can get their heads pulled out lol. I will post up some mods on the new bike soon.

Nice to see the New Blue I also bout the 2012 only the DCT version so keep posting anything you see or hear about the iron and us Grey Bearded Blue Beast riders will keep the VFR's smoking. I really like the DCT once you get used to it especially in Traffic nothing any better than put it in D and putt along then put her in S or Manual and she becomes a whole different beast. I think Honda just did basically everything wrong when it came to marketing this Bike, they should of highlighted the fact that this is simply a great/fantastic 1 person sport/tourer, they haven't had the 700 auto's out there long enough to build up a Market for an Auto Bike but the big thing that Honda really didn't do is talk to their clients and actually listen.

Overall I know you will really like the 1200 I know I do and like yourself I have had way too many Bikes over my time of riding this one, and newer renditions of it will be my last one however, now all I have to do it start to tweak it to make it mine. Have fun, Drive safe and let me know what you find out there to make it an even better riding experience.

Archived