Huntinggunns 2012 Build Thread

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok, finally got a few more "farkles" done to make this bike a little more personalized. R&G front axle sliders, R&G frame sliders, and T-Rex differential slider. The fit and finish on the sliders were great. Kind of nervous about drilling holes in the fairings at first but after it was finished you really can not tell that they were drilled by the way the sliders fit. I tried the T-Rex frame sliders at first but was not impressed with the fit as they forced the side fairings out about an inch from where they were supposed to be.

Cox radiator guard was next up. Fit and finish was excellent.

ASV levers installed. Got the version with the blue adjusters hoping this would help out Jon and Steve with the whole blue color thing :goofy: .

post-23180-0-83570700-1401408000.jpg

post-23180-0-29883900-1401408151.jpg

post-23180-0-70328100-1401408254.jpg

post-23180-0-77516600-1401408369.jpg

post-23180-0-56874100-1401408462.jpg

post-23180-0-02626200-1401408660.jpg

post-23180-0-16907300-1401408915.jpg

post-23180-0-40844200-1401409024.jpg

• Member Contributer

No VFR is complete without a volt meter. This is the Datel mounted in the same location that the TC switch is on the other side. Looking at it from the cockpit evens out the look of the fairings very well. Btw, the 1200 runs constant 14.4 to 14.5 volts in case any one is wondering. I also changed up my location for the USB power. I used 3BR powersports 2.1 amp usb ports on both sides of the fairings. With 90 degree cables they work excellent. Plenty of clearance between the fairings and clip-ons. Now I am satisfied with auxiliary power. 1 port for the phone to the tank bag and 1 port for Go Pro or Garmin.

post-23180-0-92543300-1401409445.jpg

post-23180-0-82042800-1401409557.jpg

post-23180-0-73144100-1401409688.jpg

• Member Contributer

The mod that I most proud of is the seat. After a few conversations with Seth Laam I decided to pull the trigger and send him the stock seat. Seth is an artist when it comes to seats. He got the seat, stripped it down, and gave me a call. We narrowed the front and lowered it a touch and all I can say is this seat fits me like a glove now. He layers the seat with a different kind of foam and covers it with your choice of material. I chose the carbon fiber type covering, no more slick seat :cheerleader: . Very comfortable and I can stay in the saddle much longer now without starting to squirm.

With a little help from a friend from across the pond I acquired a Thurn Motorsport VFR centercap to set off the rear wheel just a touch. It fits perfect.

I also installed a G2 throttle tamer just to see if I could get the throttle a little smoother at low speeds. It works as advertised. After a couple of days in the Arkansas mountains riding with a couple of friends that are much better riders than I, the throttle tamer payed for itself. The bike is now truly smooth in all conditions, No matter if you are performing parking lot maneuvers or rolling on and off the throttle in the twisties, the bike is now so easy to ride, almost as good as a 5th gen,

post-23180-0-46315000-1401410282.jpg

post-23180-0-41289200-1401410382.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cox radiator guard was next up. Fit and finish was excellent.

Andy Cox co-founded and occasionally still comes to the Doc Wong clinic I work with locally. That guy can ride. His advice has kept me out of the weeds more than once.

• Member Contributer

This is how she sits now. With side bags and possibly some Knight lowered pegs, this bike would be the ultimate cross country touring bike, nothing else I would change on it at all, except to put on some Pilot Roads as soon as the Dunlops are shot.

Even after all the work I have done to her to make it better for me, I still wish she was 100 pounds lighter. My test ride is set for the middle of next month for the new 800. At that time I will decide if the new 800 is worth it to me for the weight loss and keep this girl or sell her for the new 800. Anyone looking for a well farkled 1200 might be in luck next month.

post-23180-0-95894500-1401410970.jpg

• Member Contributer

So, on to the other project............ :ph34r:

:tour:

• Member Contributer

So, on to the other project............ :ph34r:

:tour:

That is next on the list. Is the suspense too much lol.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Weight disappears to me once I get rolling. Thing handles surprisingly well. Don't think I could drop 50 horsepower.

Bike looks great.

I agree, she does very well when moving. I have never bashed the 1200, ever. It truly is a great bike.

• Member Contributer

Like you I fix what I don't like. For me that's power delivery (ecu flash + PC5/autotune, and pair removal), suspension (too floaty stock, want it stiffer and the rear higher for cornering), and footpeg adjustment (got some thurn adjustables). After that should be g2g.

I've never bought a bike that didn't need things changed to get it custom suited for me and my riding style. Keep working on it. It'll be worth it. The hp/tq is not worth letting go for the 800. Even if the only time you truly tap it is to escape a cager, or something else, it's worth it.

Hope to see you @ hog tie.

That seat looks great! I've been trying to convince myself into having mine re-done... but after last summer's road trip, I was actually in pretty good shape with the stock seat and a BeadRider.

Glad you like the G2 throttle tamer. I LOVE mine. I think it makes a world of difference... I'm happy someone else things so.

• Member Contributer

Like you I fix what I don't like. For me that's power delivery (ecu flash + PC5/autotune, and pair removal), suspension (too floaty stock, want it stiffer and the rear higher for cornering), and footpeg adjustment (got some thurn adjustables). After that should be g2g.

I've never bought a bike that didn't need things changed to get it custom suited for me and my riding style. Keep working on it. It'll be worth it. The hp/tq is not worth letting go for the 800. Even if the only time you truly tap it is to escape a cager, or something else, it's worth it.

Hope to see you @ hog tie.

You will see us at the hog tie, wouldn't miss it, just not sure yet which bike lol. Looking forward to meeting you. The 1200 is a fabulous bike, and I agree, I have never owned a bike that I didn't tweak to make it what I want. This one is close, just a tad on the heavy side for my skinny a$$ lol.

• Member Contributer

I am still bugging the local dealers about a test ride on the new 800....your bike looks great with the mods you have completed so far.

Like LTL says, it would be hard to give up the 50 hp and 30 ft lbs even to drop 120 lbs or so...

• Member Contributer

Fred- easiest solution to the overweight bike being too much for your skinny ass...

Change your diet to craft beer and chocolate.

The bike won't weigh so much when you pack on another fifty pounds or so! Hahaha

-Jon

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Fred- easiest solution to the overweight bike being too much for your skinny ass...

Change your diet to craft beer and chocolate.

The bike won't weigh so much when you pack on another fifty pounds or so! Hahaha

-Jon

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't think my doctor would be to happy with that lol. When you coming down this way to visit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I held off on a couple of mods I was wanting to do to the big girl as I was not sure if I was going to take the plunge on the new 800. After test riding the new bike I have decided to keep this one for a couple of reasons. I know my limits when riding at a faster pace and know what I can do on this machine. I guess when I really want to wick it up I will ride a different bike that is lighter. This one is truly a great all around bike, as others have said it would be hard to give up the power, she is paid off, and I have done so much work to her that I just about have her like I want. My daughter loves to ride pillion on this bike and it works great in that capacity. I get a little over 40 mpg so it is great as a commuter also. Anyway, I switched to Pazzo levers from the ASV's. They feel better to me, a slightly different angle than the ASV's. I also installed the Honda wind deflector and it works great for me. It directs the air flow right across the very top of my helmet instead of at my chin, Wind buffeting is gone now. The way it is designed it still flows some air between the 2 screens so you get some cooling when it is hot. All that is left is to install the Knight Designs lowered pegs and I will truly have a great, long distance, commuting machine. Btw, I will have a bit of OE and aftermarket 7th gen parts for sale this week :goofy: .

post-23180-0-08851500-1402343605.jpg

post-23180-0-61802900-1402343732.jpg

post-23180-0-62170700-1402343844.jpg

post-23180-0-64730400-1402343955.jpg

How tall are you huntinggunns? I wish I had a taller screen on mine but being 6'5" I usually just get turbulence on my helmet, so I'm curious if the extension would get the air over my head or not.

• Member Contributer

How tall are you huntinggunns? I wish I had a taller screen on mine but being 6'5" I usually just get turbulence on my helmet, so I'm curious if the extension would get the air over my head or not.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am 5'6". I also have the seat shaved lower. The wind was hitting me directly in the face where it would hit most folks in the chest. The Honda screen brings it right across the top of my helmet now. Made a pretty big difference. Wind noise is almost gone and my head isn't bouncing around at high speeds now.

• Member Contributer

Last mod is finally done. I installed the Knight Design lowered pegs with the rubber pads. After I installed the lowered seat and also had Laam Custom lower the seat height a little more when he worked his magic, my knees were pretty bunched up. The Knight pegs are excellent, just the right amount of drop to get the riding position back to where it was if not even a little better.

Now the long range ICBM touring/commuter bike is finished. I have put right at 2500 miles on the big girl in a little over a month. Averaging anywhere from 38 to 40 depending on my riding habits and terrain. That is even at a constant 90 mph, :ph34r: , on very long stretches of 4 lane, straight, nothing highway, way out West of OKC with no one else around :lobby: . Not bad for a huge motor and being a little bit on the chubby side. I think we are starting to bond now, only time will tell. After test riding the new 800 and it having the same slow speed fueling issues that this 1200 had, I really don't see any other bike I am interested in yet, except maybe the Yamaha FZ-09. However, not a single dealer around here has one in stock. Must be a good thing, right. Anyway, time to go do some more riding, everyone be safe and have fun :wheel: .

post-23180-0-99842700-1403131488.jpg

post-23180-0-47617600-1403131615.jpg

post-23180-0-42722300-1403131724.jpg

post-23180-0-32487200-1403131843.jpg

New to this forum. Was wondering how tall you are? I'm looking all over California dealers with one in stock just to sit on and see where the ground is. No luv, Pretty rare out here.

The best deal I can find is a blue one for 10.9 from the DFW dealer where you bought yours!

My '05 Bandit 1200s has 96,000 on the clock and will be needing a cam chain at the next valve adjust. It's going to need more and more with diminishing returns.

My drive is 57 miles each way through multiple L.A. freeways and streets....

Thanks

• Member Contributer

derbed,

I am 5'6" and 140 pounds. I have the lowered seat option and have also had the seat shaved a little and re-worked by Laam Custom seats. I can flat foot with my knees bent quite a bit. I have inside knowledge that there will be a dealer here in Oklahoma City that will have a low mile, 2012, well farkled VFR 1200 by the end of this week if you are interested. Not sure what they are going to ask for it though. Might be worth your drive.

Archived