Huntinggunns 2012 Build Thread

• Member Contributer

Hello, my name is Fred and I have a problem :laugh: . What can I say, I love the VFR's. I made the decision to pick up a new bike due to everything that I have going on in my life right now. I just don't have the time to take care of all the bikes I have so I have started getting rid of a few. This one will allow me to just ride and if something does break I can drop it off at the dealer. As much as I hate doing that it will give me a year to catch up on other stuff. Anyway, enough of that. I have been lusting after the 7th Gens since they came out. I am glad that I waited until the 2012's were available as from what I have read they have made a few changes to make them better than the 10's with traction control, better fueling, and no 1st and 2nd gear limitations.

So, here she is. I searched around for the best price and made a deal with DFW Honda. My local dealer would not budge and DFW Honda let me take her out the door for 11,313. I could have got a little better deal but I would have had to travel a whole lot further. I picked her up on Saturday morning and put 230 miles on her the first day. All I can say is that Dallas traffic really sucks :angry: . They had one 1200F left when I picked mine up and they were making a deal on that one when I left there. Test driving a bike does not really let you know how well you are matched up but after 230 miles on the first day I can say I think I made the right decision. She fits me great. Unfortunately I had to fly out Sunday morning to Glynco Georgia for a 2 week class or she would have had a lot more miles on her than she does now. I am currently sitting in my dorm room reading the 300 + posts in the 7th Gen section to learn about her so I am sure I will have some questions. Looking forward to learning about this one. So, here are the obligitory pictures from where I picked her up at the dealer. Hope you enjoy, I know I am.

post-23180-0-19385000-1368488666.jpg

post-23180-0-90117500-1368488901.jpg

post-23180-0-96335600-1368489112.jpg

post-23180-0-57187700-1368489386.jpg

post-23180-0-33750700-1368489691.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice!

Congrats on the new bike.

• Member Contributer

Here are some more.

Nice!

Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks Rice. It has been a very long time since I could say I bought a brand new bike.

post-23180-0-72454400-1368491300.jpg

post-23180-0-41834800-1368491559.jpg

post-23180-0-31462100-1368491813.jpg

post-23180-0-96809500-1368492148.jpg

• Member Contributer

Damn didn't know there were mountains in Oklahoma.

Awesome bike what's your first impression ?

There isn't, those were from Texas. You know, they say everything in Texas is bigger :laugh: . Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I really like her. I have rode the 10 and the 12 and even though the fueling is better it is still just a tiny bit twitchy in 1st in parking lots. I think some of it is that she has such tall gears. The seat is pretty good and I can flat foot this thing without touching a thing on the chassis but I am going to get the lowered seat option to give myself a little more leg bend. That in itself is a bonus as I won't have to lower her for my short a$$. I am sitting fairly straight up on it so it is pretty comfortable to me. I can tell you that no matter what speed you are going down the highway there is always more power than what I will ever need. I knew that the range was a little shorter than my 5th and 6th Gens but that didn't hit home until the light started blinking at me at around 155 miles. The trip meter said I still had 30 miles left so all is good. I always filled up my 5th Gen around 195 miles. Anyway, let me get back home and put some real miles on her and I will add some more feedback.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I really like her.

I'll guess you mean the bike, since the girl looks a bit young for a gray hair dude.

Unless you have that old aphrodisiac, bug bucks. :wink:

The blue looks good. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I knew that the range was a little shorter than my 5th and 6th Gens but that didn't hit home until the light started blinking at me at around 155 miles.

Sounds like I would be right at home on the 1200. I start blinking around 155 miles on my 6th gen. Something about exhaust + power commander + being fat.

Congrats on the new bike!

• Member Contributer

I was starting to wonder when this thread would pop up.

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Go ahead and e-mail David Damiens to get the DAM pipe on order. Thank me later. :goofy:

You going to bring this one to the Hog Tie in September or are we going to be graced by the RWB 6th gen?

Swanson- Adam stole the 5th gen.

Oh, and Fred... Nice shirt. :beer:

Congrats! That blue is very nice, and I much prefer the silver tank top. Honda should've done that with the red '10.

• Member Contributer

Congrats Fred! You deserve a new bike...enjoy her.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Wow - $5K off. That's incredible. My local Honda dealer does just the opposite - they RAISED the price of the leftover 2012 NC700Xs to mach the '13 pricing. WTF?

• Member Contributer

So whats the list of mods look like?? Yokel is right about the exhaust, his sounds awesome.

• Member Contributer

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I really like her.

I'll guess you mean the bike, since the girl looks a bit young for a gray hair dude.

Unless you have that old aphrodisiac, bug bucks. :wink:

The blue looks good. :beer:

Yes Lee, I was talking about the bike. However, don't under estimate the power of us older, gray haired guys :goofy:.

• Member Contributer

So whats the list of mods look like?? Yokel is right about the exhaust, his sounds awesome.

Bingo... after all, you tantalizingly labeled this thread as a "build" thread...

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I just got the pictures of her coming out of the crate from Charles at DFW Honda. I will go back and put them in the first post so I will actually have pictures of her being "born".

Gary - Yes, the 5th Gen has a really good home now and no, Adam did not "steal it" but he did get her for a good price :laugh: .

Jon - I need to meet up with you when I get home and look and listen to your bike again. I am toying with either the DAM or the LEO Vince. You will see this one at the Hog Tie this year as I got her to buy me some time on the 6th Gens while I take care of some family stuff for my parent and in-laws. Oh, and I always promote VFRD any chance I get but I am going to have to see if you have a medium Hog Tie shirt from 2012 left as I am about to wear that one out.

Steve - Thanks and hope to see you soon.

Ok, ok, ok. I just ordered the lowered seat and service manual from Mason City. Next will be the centerstand and exhaust. I am going with the OE centerstand but not sure which exhaust yet. I already have the tank bag ring kit for my Givi bags. I will post pics when I get home and start installing this stuff. I still need to figure out how I am going to mount the ram mount ball and powerlet.

Congrats on your new 7th gen! And what a great deal, too. As much as I love red (and it is my favorite color), that blue looks terrific.

• Member Contributer

Well I'm jealous. I only paid a few hundred less, mine was a demo, and a 2010 that doesn't have the newer mapping or seat (could care less about TC). The kicker is I bought mine from this owner's dad, Al Lamb. Congrats!

Archived