Huntinggunns 2012 Build Thread

:cool: Like all the last listed mods. I went to the KD site but did not see the pegs you got listed. Do you have a part number for the KD pegs and the Pazzo levers. Looks like the Pazzo levers are F12/H33 but just checking.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

derbed,

I am 5'6" and 140 pounds. I have the lowered seat option and have also had the seat shaved a little and re-worked by Laam Custom seats. I can flat foot with my knees bent quite a bit. I have inside knowledge that there will be a dealer here in Oklahoma City that will have a low mile, 2012, well farkled VFR 1200 by the end of this week if you are interested. Not sure what they are going to ask for it though. Might be worth your drive.

Oh really!!?? I might be interested in that! I found one here, sat on it and figured with Helibars and Knight drop pegs, it'd be perfect. So it looks like my next commuter. There's a couple of good deals around but not here in California.

Fred

My commute is long,120/day, (of course,not miles per hour!) Done on a '05 Suzuki Bandit 1200s. At 97k, she's going to start costing money. Chain maintenance every week takes time I don't have anymore. There's been a few other brands I've considered for the past few weeks; Connie, FJR, FZ09, another, newer, injected Bandit, and I keep coming back to the VFR as the best multi-purpose.

After reading all of your build, and many other VFR pages I'm at the point where a high hp, shaft drive, fuel injected VFR is looking pretty sweet.

The best deal I can find is through DFW Honda, who have 2 blue ones with 1 mile @ $10.9

1. Your experience with DFWH was ok I take it?

2. In your opinion: Will this make as bulletproof a commuter as the Bandit? In other words, will it hold up to the L.A. freeway system?

Thanks

post-30678-0-53529700-1404682632.jpg

• Member Contributer

The big 12 is a great bike. I just put 400 miles on it yesterday on a ride with some local VFRD members. Averaged 42.3 mpg even with a little playing. The lead rider for this ride asked me how long I could go without having to get fuel. I told him I was comfortable with going to 185 miles. At 198 miles I made him stop. She took almost 4.7 gallons. I was starting to sweat that one as the tank is only 5.0 gallons. Anyway, with the right mods she makes a great long range touring bike that you can have fun with in the twisty stuff. My only complaint with this bike is that it is a little on the heavy side for me, and that is just my opinion, but that is not the fault of the bike. I know several members that are accumulating quite a few miles on their bikes and no one has had any problems yet. DFW Honda is excellent to deal with. No complaints about them. I hope this information helps and good luck on your search.

Mileage seems in line for the weight and engine. I don't mind it being on the "heavy side" as much as it's girth troubles me as pertains to what's politely dubbed: "lane filtering". I'm taking up to 6 freeways (each way) /day during the rush hour. The Bandit, being a litre bike, isn't what you'd call flickable, nor is it prized for it's steering traits. As you said, with the right mods, it's doable. I just can't think of more bang for the buck. I sat on a 2014 DCT, even lit up the mill. [You could tell by the sound it had endless grunt]. Turned down the test ride as I didn't want the pressure to purchase from the dealer, plus why put miles on a new DCT when I'm only considering the manual....\

Anyway. Thanks for your perspective and the info on DFWH. I thought they'd be alright. Lived in Lewisville for about a year most of the time being spent spending money at Bass Pro @ Grapevine!

muchas

• Member Contributer

It does pull like a freight train in any gear from pretty much idle to the top. Endless power for sure. Brakes are supreme. Traction control does work well. Honda did well on this bike. For me though, I want something smaller and lighter for commuting. Just preference.

• Member Contributer

Hard to answer that question. Everyone has different preferences and needs. Best thing is to research and find what you think would fit your wants and needs and go ride it. Lots of good options out there. Decide if you want a cruiser or sport touring or whatever and then go from there. After you narrow it down then ask others what they think. FZ1 comes to mind, contemplating that one myself. Couple of small fixes and it is good to go. That information was given to me by none other than a few folks off this forum that currently own one.

• Member Contributer

Saw you posted up your sliders on EBay because the bike has been sold..... :( what did you get?

Busted ,,,,,,,,,,,, :ph34r: .

New bike just got here yesterday. I will post pics soon. I will always have a VFR of some shape or form just for the love I have for them. However, the 1200 just did not do it for me. I tried to the very end to tweak it to what I wanted to use it for. It just was not going to happen. The new one is not a VFR, sad to say it is not even a Honda :ohmy:, but it is a hell of a lot more fun to ride than the 1200. That is something I have been missing for a while. So, pics to come soon and I wish all you 7th Gen guys the best, I will stick with the previous gens.

• Member Contributer

You sold the 1200 already and didn't offer it up for anyone on the board to buy first? :-(

You sold the Thurn goodies too? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

You sold the 1200 already and didn't offer it up for anyone on the board to buy first? :-(

I did offer it up a while back in the classifieds, no takers then so I figured no takers now.

You sold the Thurn goodies too? :goofy:

Still have the center cap, even posted it in the classifieds. I gave the forum first chance, no takers. So it is up for sale now also. Got to farkle up the new ride a little

Saw you posted up your sliders on EBay because the bike has been sold..... :( what did you get?

Busted ,,,,,,,,,,,, :ph34r: .

New bike just got here yesterday. I will post pics soon. I will always have a VFR of some shape or form just for the love I have for them. However, the 1200 just did not do it for me. I tried to the very end to tweak it to what I wanted to use it for. It just was not going to happen. The new one is not a VFR, sad to say it is not even a Honda :ohmy:, but it is a hell of a lot more fun to ride than the 1200. That is something I have been missing for a while. So, pics to come soon and I wish all you 7th Gen guys the best, I will stick with the previous gens.

SO where did it go and what did you get?

I did offer it up a while back in the classifieds, no takers then so I figured no takers now.

Damn, must of missed it. I liked all of the farkles you had on it.

• Member Contributer

Damn, must of missed it. I liked all of the farkles you had on it.

I missed it as well, was interested in for the level of tasteful mods and knowing what he paid for it from Mark Lamb...sorry I missed it but it may have resulted in marital dis-harmony at the current time....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I am gonna take a guess ..... FZ09?

Close, but it looks too much like a dirt bike for my tastes. I goth the FZ8, last one in a crate in the US. This bike is tons of fun. Fueling is the best I have ridden, right up there with the 4th Gen VFR. Breath on the bars and it falls right in the corners. Sorry it took a while to post this but I have almost as many miles on this bike as what I had on the 1200 in the 1 and 1/2 years I owned it. Like all bikes produced now, yes, the suspension needs work and the seat sucks. Other than that, it is a great bike. 47 + mpg on every tank. Perfect commuter. Still got a bunch of mods to do but I am proud to park this one by the 97 VFR.

post-23180-0-59103100-1407110737.jpg

post-23180-0-07381300-1407110849.jpg

• Member Contributer

The sides of that engine looks like a few recknecks took a shot at it.... (Easy Rider :goofy: )

I can see some Pro-Bolt in your future......

Archived