Engine Swap Tips?

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to see if anyone had tips on swapping a motor in a 5 or 6g? I'm thinking of rigging up ceiling straps to support the rear frame and dropping the motor & swingarm. Any good alternative short of a complete teardown?

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I can't offer any insight, but I'd be more than happy to offer you help with the heavy lifting.

Say, was that you I waved to at park and Stanford ranch tonight?

Just wanted to see if anyone had tips on swapping a motor in a 5 or 6g? I'm thinking of rigging up ceiling straps to support the rear frame and dropping the motor & swingarm. Any good alternative short of a complete teardown?

I know WERA910 pulled the engine out of a 5th gen. I'm sure he has a picture or two in his gallery if you want to look there.

• Member Contributer

The 5th gen service manual shows the rear supported via a bar through the rear subframe to a couple of support frames. Get it up, get it stable then remove the swingarm, then the engine.I'd advise removing all the ancillery parts Tank, Airbox, Injectors, Radiators etc before supporting it for engine removal. The engine is about 75Kg so more than a one man job. If you have the ability to make an engine holding frame do so & use a wheeled jack to move it !

I just swapped an engine into a 4th gen frame. This job was a bit easier because the 4th gen swing arm mounts to frame. The 5th gen swing arm mounts to the engine. Here's how I did it:

-Loosen/remove as much as possible. (Tank, entire exhaust, chain and cover, rad, oil cooler, air box, carbs or throttle bodies, all electric plugs, coils and wires, etc)

-I unbolted all the mounts and dropped the engine onto wood under the from most part of the oil pan using a screw jack and pivoting on the rear mounts.

-Made a castle nut driver out of a 7/8" socket. You will need an impact driver. I used a hammer impact driver from harbor freight, with a 3/8" adapter into the socket. Probably easier to order the right castle nut driver.

-Removed last bolt, and used jack to drop engine another few inches.

-Used ratchet straps to hook up the frame and lift it up high enough to swing it out of the way.

-Moved old engine away with help.

-Moved new engine into exact same space with help.

-Dropped frame back onto engine and started rebolting.

Easy stuff. I did it all outside, in the cold of winter, with gloves and earmuffs, and some ample swearing. Used anti seize on everything for less swearing next time.

Goodluck!

Everyone likes pictures: CAM00201.jpg

The rest: https://plus.google.com/photos/116949566934695094716/albums/5855567419689021121?authkey=CKG0k_uG3J6Mcw

• Member Contributer

I dont think it would be all that hard, if you are organized. I like to put sets of faseners in ziplock bags and label them. I think mostly the job is more tedious than difficult.

Here's a pic of mine when I stripped it down, and just few more parts and bolts and the engine would have been out sitting on the jack. Probly just pull the frame off the engine. -I think VeeferCanuck did something of the reverse when he installed a new frame -- Unbolted the frame from the engine.

anaked.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips. I don't expect it to be hard, just tedious and looking for shortcuts. I'm hoping to do this over a 3-day weekend. Was planning to drop the motor but I like the idea of supporting it and picking the frame off, although I wasn't planning to pull the forks or front fairing, and that whole assembly with frame and rear subframe must be at least 75kg/165lbs.

-I think VeeferCanuck did something of the reverse when he installed a new frame -- Unbolted the frame from the engine.

Yes, I removed the frame from the engine vertically, and left the engine sitting on some wooden blocks and the centerstand.

Easier than muscling the engine up into the frame.

gallery_554_5200_389060.jpg

gallery_554_5200_379142.jpg

gallery_554_5200_2414671.jpg

gallery_554_5200_1638852.jpg

gallery_554_5200_1447940.jpg

gallery_554_5200_2050840.jpg

Thats how we do modern Honda and acura cars. Leave the enine on the ground and raise the car.

I have done it on a busa by putting anchors in the ceiling studs, Raised the bike right off. Left the engine sitting. The more you can take off the better.

• Member Contributer

Yep, looked you and the wife were off for an evening ride.

Yep, guilty as charged. Let me know when you're going to do the swap. I'd love to help, or at least watch.

Auspi, I like a lot that work :smile: , but i know that you have a nice video about the first start of the new bike. ..

Hehehe... yeah but it's in Spanish and doesn't have subtitles... ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok, I took my sweet old time getting this done...used 25K California motor been sitting for almost 2 years. Swapped in 49-state cams and ECU, converting '99 CA motor to 49-state specs, +5-6 HP, with a little Seb clutch cover. Original motor went 93K, 2nd gear gone.

IMG_0030Small_zpsb8813fc4.jpg

IMG_0056Small_zps0730f8a2.jpg

IMG_0064Small_zpsfa95e6a3.jpg

IMG_0065Small_zpsfdf08d5d.jpg

IMG_0119Small_zps9e7930f4.jpg

IMG_0132Small_zpsb2e5dcc2.jpg

Took half a crank to bring it to life, gotta love Honda engineering.

• Member Contributer

Great job on the swaps in this thread. When doing a job like this that involves lots of fasteners, zip lock bags and a marking pen are your friend. Helps things go smoother on re-assembly.

• Member Contributer

Gene Autry once said "back in the saddle again" ......

Great job Mike! I bet it feels good to get it completed and back on the road.

Ernie

best way is pay a tech 150 like I did,even picked the bike up and delivered it.

I just want to know what mechanic does all that work for only $150. :wink:

Mine charges $80/Hr. They would have to be extremely fast. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

All rrrrrriiighhght! Very cool Capn, Been waiting for this update. Congrats on all the work! :beer:

- Cant wait for a ride report with the new cams. :cool:

• 3 months later...

Archived