Engine Swap Tips?

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

Engine runs nice, definitely more pop than the CA spec lump. 2nd gear is beyond shot though. The risks of picking up a used motor, ironic, eh? <facepalm>

Looking at rebuilding the original motor now.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, me too but those 49-state cams really pop it open over 6-7K, it's like night and day with the CA cams. They'll definitely be going in to whatever I put back in, along with a lot of the other parts, most can be reused like the new clutch and h2o hoses.

Big question is the rebuild of the original motor. I've been following the few threads by Mohawk and HighsideNZ. I'll likely not go that far but where do you draw a $ line?

I'm thinking if I have to replace the 2nd gears, get those and have them undercut, hate to have this happen again. Engine is still up in the air, I want to do a compression and leakdown test on the motor to see where I'm at. Rings, cylinder honing, valves. It can get expensive quick. I haven't done a complete motor before, just top and bottom end on separate projects. Other option is to find another known good motor.

If I can get my '93 streetable I may take my time and be open to more mods on the '99. As long as I'm still on two wheels it's all good. :happy:

This thread will come in handy when I finally put together my 2000. I have a frame sitting in one room and the 5th gen engine and swinger sitting in the garage.

Not sure how I am going to go about doing this.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but am I correct in thinking I should mount the 2004 r1 front end first before bolting on the engine?

• Member Contributer

You could do that. I might put the frame on the engine first, elevated some, then starting bolting up the front end. Start with the heaviest part first theory.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Oh noes!

So 6 months on with fresh oil, fresh clutch fluid, adjusted shift lever and I absolutely can not get this new motor to drop out of 2nd gear anymore. I don't know if it just needed to be run in some after 2+ years sitting on a shelf..or the new fluids..interesting to see if it holds up like this.

• Member Contributer

I did have one small blip today, coming out of a right hander, shift up to 2nd, gas and it pops back to neutral. Lazy shifting probably. But early on I know it wasn't all lazy shifting. Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Worn dogs. They will fail eventually. I'd start rebuilding that old engine now. The biggest problem you face is finding parts like gasket sets.

• Member Contributer

It's got the Factory Pro kit.

Yeah, shipping my motor out now to NZ for HighSide to get started on it... :pinocchio::491:

Can't go wrong with that! There's going to be a waiting list!

Archived