Modular Vs. Standard Helmets: Anyone Switch Back?

RED RUNNER

• Member Contributer

For the last year I have been using a Schuberth modular helmet. Great helmet but I need a helmet that fits me bit better. I may have to go back to a standard helmet. Got used to all the features of a modular. Gonna be hard to switch back if I have to.

Has anyone gone back to a standard after using a modular? Why?

• Member Contributer

I would love to give you my feed back but I'm a little lit up...(too much Paddy Whiskey!) I wear both the Schuberth C3 and the Shoei RF-1100 and for different reasons!

Look into the Shoei GT Air if you're looking for a compromise helmet!

• Member Contributer

I have two modular helmets (Vemar Jiano / AGV Miglia) and also have two non-modular helmets (Shoei RF1000 / Scorpion EXO 700)

Even though they are heavier and significantly noisier than regular helmets I would never go back to a regular helmet. They are just too damn convenient especially when you need some extra fresh air when stopping to fill up with fuel or a quick sip of scotch at a stop light (lol...just kidding)

Convenient store clerks and also much less freaked out when they can see your face when walking into the store. My Vemar has a quick release ratchet strap and I can have the helmet on or off in a matter of two seconds which is way convenient.

Rollin

I went back to a RF1100...have the Miglia modular as well and while I like the convenience, the modular just doesn't provide me the confidence should there be an accident. Just feels kind of flimsy to me however that may be more attributed to the fit not being quite right and it was damn noisy even w/ear plugs...some of the higher end modulars may be better, but I wasn't going to buy each one to try them out...lol.

MIglia is for sale BTW. :)

I have two modular helmets (Vemar Jiano / AGV Miglia) and also have two non-modular helmets (Shoei RF1000 / Scorpion EXO 700)

Even though they are heavier and significantly noisier than regular helmets I would never go back to a regular helmet. They are just too damn convenient especially when you need some extra fresh air when stopping to fill up with fuel or a quick sip of scotch at a stop light (lol...just kidding)

Convenient store clerks and also much less freaked out when they can see your face when walking into the store. My Vemar has a quick release ratchet strap and I can have the helmet on or off in a matter of two seconds which is way convenient.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I have one of each. Modular so I don't have to pull the helmet off at security check points when they want to see my face at work and solid for all other riding. I am not a fan of modular helmets because they are heavier, noisier, not as safe, and in cold weather not as warm. But then again my riding habits don't include me needing access to my face so YMMV. If you like the convenience of a modular helmet there's nothing wrong with that. At least you aren't wearing a half helmet. :fing02:

As for switching back to a solid helmet it's just a matter of reminding yourself you won't be able to just flip up the face shield when ever you want. It's really up to you to decide if you want to give up a little convenience for all the benefits that a solid helmet has to offer.

• Member Contributer

I've owned nothing but modular helmets since Shoei came out with the Duo-Tech back in the 80's or so. I've had the Synchro-Tech, but haven't sprung for the new one, too much money. I've had a couple of Schuberth's, which I liked, and tried a Sy-Max, which I didn't like because it didn't fit right. I now have the Nolan N103 which I like except it doesn't vent as well as some do. The main thing I don't like about the modulars is the weight, but I have no desire to go back to a regular full face helmet.

I'd like to try the new Schuberth or the new Shoei, but $600-$700 for a helmet is just ridiculous. IMO of course.When they get down to a reasonable price I will definitely check them out.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to try the N104 but I have a Scala Rider and the sunshield lever looks like it would interfere with the placement of the Scala. I kind of think they did it on purpose so people would have to buy their built-in communicator, but I could just be a bit paranoid. :wink:

• Member Contributer

All sober now... The Schuberth is not for everybody as it has a much tighter fit than most other helmets in the same size range but, contrary to what was said about modulars being noisier is incorrect. Before I bought the C3 I don't think I ever even heard of Schuberth, or at least didn't see them on store shelves or in magazine ads. However when I did a search on "quietest helmets" Shuberth was always in the list. I traditionally wore nothing but full face non-modular helmets so even considering the C3 was was hard at first. Now that I have it I can say that I am very happy with it, apart from having to get used to the tight fit at first, it was a non issue switching to a modular. I wear the C3 mostly for commuting and for when I'm "touring" as I like the flip up when I need to talk with gate security when entering some school campuses or secure environment facilities, which often part of my job. What I like about it, it is quiet, quieter than my RF-110, but mainly when speeds are less than 70 mph, venting works well, drop down sun shade, pin-lock visor and of course the flip up chin bar. Oh, and the comm system works great too and is essentially integrated into the helmet not attached to the side of it.

Why I wear the Shoei. As I said I've always worn full face helmets and if I am sport riding I prefer the secure feeling of the non-modular helmet. The Shoei is a bit more comfortable and feels really solid, and vents extremely well, but it has short comings. One it does not have a drop down sun shade, no pin-lock visor (must purchase separately), and the lip at the back of the helmet often hits the hump on the back of my leathers. When I bought both helmets, the Shoei Neotech was not out yet but if it was I probably would have that instead of the Schuberth because he has almost all of the same features, feels like a "Shoei" and is a bit cheaper.

However, now that I have come to love the Schuberth and am in the market for a new FF lid, I'm considering the Shoei GT Air. It has a lot of features that I like about both helmets and is decently priced, plus it's a Shoei, which has typically been my brand of choice since I started street riding.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I got a Shoei Neo Tech late last year and use it only for commuting because of the flip down inner smoked shield. It lets in way more air, even with the vents closed, than my X-Twelve. With the windshield on the ST, that's not a big deal.

I still prefer a regular helmet with a full face tinted shield for all day. Don't want any funny sunburn lines on my face!

I don't know that I'm so in love with the flip up feature of the modular, but I've only been wearing it a couple months.

You seem reluctant to go back to a full face helmet. If you want and like the features of a modular helmet why not try to find a modular that fits you better than the Schuberth does.

After the brief time I've had inside my new modular helmet I can't fathom going back to a full face.

The first helmet I ever bought for myself for motorcycling was a BMW system 2 modular helmet, back in 88.

loved the helmet for most of the years I used it in the late 80's/early 90's but I began to realize that the thing was so much bigger and heavier than full face helmets, which worried me a lot because of the higher possibility of neck injuries with them, and I was getting more worried about the front section of the helmet not being able to stay on with the rest of the helmet in a big enough crash. So, after I bought my Shoei Rainey replica to replace it, I never really felt comfortable enough to go back to using any modular helmet since, as the manufacturers have not really got them to be as light and as small as full faced helmets. and I never really hear of them ever achieving anywhere near the same frontal safety rating as full face helmets.....yet?

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

In a couple of weeks my local dealer will have both the Shoei GT Air (full face with pinlock and internal drop down visor) and the new Schuberth C3 Pro, which is supposed to be quieter than the C3, have an updated SRC com system, and fit a bit different (the fit is the key for me).

I will try them both and report back.

As an aside, I have a feeling the GT Air will be a big seller if it fits like the RF1100. I really dig the internal visor in my Schuberth.

• Member Contributer

I had a HJC modular until one day when it rolled off my seat, hit the chin bar on the driveway, and busted part of the hinge mechanism.

When I took it apart to replace the plastic piece I realized how flimsy it really was.

Other models may be better and stronger, but that did it for me. I went back to a full face.

• Member Contributer

I had a HJC modular until one day when it rolled off my seat, hit the chin bar on the driveway, and busted part of the hinge mechanism.

When I took it apart to replace the plastic piece I realized how flimsy it really was.

Other models may be better and stronger, but that did it for me. I went back to a full face.

Yeah that's a little scary !!!

• Member Contributer

For a modular to be any good, it has to have a metal to metal latching system. However, that is no gurauntee that it will hold up in a severe impact.

• Member Contributer

I've only worn modular helmets. Love them. Sad to say I've "tested' several in some significant crashes. None has come open or broken. Now have a Schuberth C-3. Happens to fit me very well and is extreemly quiet. I felt sensory deprived at first because it was so quiet. For a quick smoke or a fast chug of water nothing beats 'em. Also a relief to open at stoplights in the warm weather.

Archived