Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

I see some very similar charts there. Torque drop at the low end (<4000rpm VFR / <5000rpm R6/6R), low plateau in the middle section (4000...5200 / 5000...8000) and high plateau at the top end (>6000 / >9000) of course with the smaller engine higher revving. Overlay it I say, overlay it.

In my opinion we have a quite sporty engine, not a toury one, just not as squeezed out as the real sports bike ones.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. ...and certainly, if you're looking to wring her out, you will have to shift, that's going to happen on anything short of a farm tractor (Harley). My point was, for in-town riding, and even for most twisty roads, you aren't going to be doing a hell of a lot of shifting with this kind of power and torque; the engine characteristics may be similar (when overlaid) but the delivery is worlds apart.

...like a previous poster said, "the benefit of displacement".

Anyhow, I stand by my statement, beyond the 1st $ 2nd gear neutering (which is easily fixed) there's nothing surprising about the VFR's performance, and certainly nothing about it that I, personally, regret.

If someone had set unrealistic expectations about what a heavy, yet superbly balanced sport-touring bike, would be capable of, it's kinda' on them.

And as I mentioned, the OP is a big guy who likes to drag knee a LOT, and he is comparing it directly to a GSXR750. This bike is simply not the right one for him, and I can see where that is disappointing; you would expect a big bike like the VFR1200, to accommodate a big guy better than it does. But for my frame (6', 225#) it's perfect! :)

Ocard, okay... I think I know what you were referring to. The comparison with the Bandit 1250 clued me in. I believe you are talking about the difference in engine tuning between a SuperSport 600 (or1000 for that matter) and something like the touring-oriented Bandit 1250. The Super Sports tuning emphasize mid-range torque and top end power, whereas touring rigs are typically tuned for low-end torque and mid-range power. Bandit 1250 pulls like a freight train down low but quickly runs out of steam as RPM climbs. The power/torque characterstic is almost cruiser-like.

The VFR1200 is tuned to be more like the SS600, as your graphs indicate. It can be ridden in a sportbike-like fashion, as the V4 rewards you with good power if you are willing to wind the RPM up a bit.

The beauty of the big engine, though, is that there are still plenty of torque down low to do touring duty.

Not a perfect fit for either task, but a pretty good compromize either way. Those who are not satisfied with such a compromize will probably be better off with another bike purposely-built for each type of riding.

• 9 months later...

I don't believe in regrets. I'll not buy another Honda but I'm always stuck with a bike for 5 years so I change what I can and I ride around what I can't change. I can't predict what will happen to dealerships in 5 years so there's no use in dwelling on that.

After 5 years I'll have ridden for free so it doesn't make much difference how much I get for the bike when I trade her in. I just put it back to OE state, ignore the scratches and sell the mods.

• Member Contributer

I have regrets about buying a lotto ticket, jumping off a 60 foot cliff at Lake Powell, or when my Mustang was totaled, but I will never regret buying my VFR....ever....

Love my 1200. Most haters probably have never ridden one anyway.

Yeah, a lot of them just regurgitated what they read online. Can't remember how many times I read that the VFR1200 gets poor gas mileage. Mine gets about the same as other bikes of this type and engine size I've ridden.

I only regret it cause I am trying to sell it so I can move and the list of potential owners is SOOOO small. Its the cheapest in the country at $8500 and NOTHING

I love mine...no regrets at all. It seems many either compare them to out and out tourers and form complaints that way or, as I've read here, GSXrs and the like which again seems a bit odd to me. For me it's the best sports tourer I've ridden, does exactly what I expect it to do and does it very very well. It's not a race rep or a tourer but it is the ideal road bike IMHO, I never get off it without a huge smile and that says it all really.

• Member Contributer

Or may be they're just comparing them to ZX1000 SX Ninja's, Fazer1000s, ZX-14Rs or Hayabusas (gasp, horror, stinky inline 4s). Different bikes they may be, (SX is pretty similar IMHO) but they can be used as sports-tourers...

I agree one has to manage expectations. If it's not making you happy, it's best to sell and try something else. Or you may go down the modification route and add farkles of all kinds. Most people here are very comfortable doing this, and I was, (still am to a degree) one of them. Having a bike that's personalized is great, but you never get the investment back. This and the effort to get modifications done properly and right scares some people. And what if it still isn't what you want it to be after all that money and work?

No bad choices here. The 1200 is a great bike, which can be made to work much much better with carefully chosen modifications. But you cannot change the basics of the bike so decide what you want first, and if you want something else, there are other great bikes out there...

The ZX1000SX (called Ninja 1000 here in NA) is a lightweight sport tourer that I like a lot. I wish there are more of this type of bike. In the old days, that's pretty much what a sport tourer was - essentially a sportbike that the mfr tweaked a bit with bigger fairings and more upright ergos. The old Concours and FJ's were like that. Then over the years, the ST's just keep getting bigger and bigger, fancier and fancier, comfier and comfier, heavier and heavier... to the point of not having a whole lot of sportbike genes left in them.

To me, the VFR1200 sits at the upper end of what I consider a true sport tourer should be. Everything else larger (FJR, C14, Trophy, RT, K16, etc.) are really GT (Grand Touring) bikes.

To me, the VFR1200 sits at the upper end of what I consider a true sport tourer should be. Everything else larger (FJR, C14, Trophy, RT, K16, etc.) are really GT (Grand Touring) bikes.

YES!

I moved from a Honda 919 to an FJR because I wanted something that better LD suited. While the FJR was no slouch, it just didn't feel sporty at all... more like sitting on a rocket powered sofa. The 1200 is a great compromise.

• Member Contributer

The ZX1000SX (called Ninja 1000 here in NA) is a lightweight sport tourer that I like a lot. I wish there are more of this type of bike. In the old days, that's pretty much what a sport tourer was - essentially a sportbike that the mfr tweaked a bit with bigger fairings and more upright ergos. The old Concours and FJ's were like that. Then over the years, the ST's just keep getting bigger and bigger, fancier and fancier, comfier and comfier, heavier and heavier... to the point of not having a whole lot of sportbike genes left in them.

And I still think many of us would have preferred a 500 lb 1000cc V4 with reinforced subframe for bags. I think the ninja 1000 is 509 lbs IIRC, so how about an extra 10 lb penalty for the V4 instead of an inline. That would be a 520lb 1000cc VFR.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. If Honda made that bike, many CBR1000RR owners would skip the CBR and get the VFR, and it would be the all around bike. it would cannibalize some CBR sales. The way they have it now, for most, we'll buy a pure liter bike also. Hell they could probably build a 475 lb VFR1000 if they wanted to but that would just make it worse with the cannibalization and only my opinion but this is why I think they've distanced the two. While the 1200 can do a trackday it would not make a good regular trackday bike, it's more a once or twice a year trackday bike. A street bound machine that you can do the occasional day on to work on your skills. The MFR's know the bike buying base has shrunk and their bean counters and product planners figured this out long ago, multiple bikes in the garage are the goal, not one do it all problem solver. Why would they want that? Pure twisties, liter bike or 600. Trackbike 600, or 1000. Sport touring, sport tourer. LD riding, Wing or ST. Cruising around, cruiser. Some dirt, mostly paved, adventure. Do it all and cash strapped, standard. Dude, they've got this down to a science.

Besides they are have their handful with too many people expecting too much out of the VFR as it stands. They tilted it towards the sporty end so the LD guys complain (tank size), to please them the sporty guys would complain (more weight). If it were smaller the people who like to ride someone on the back would complain. If they put all the super-techno-laden gadgetry on there (complex TC, electronic suspension, multiple mapping mode) the price would jump up substantially and people would complain. You've got people wanting all that stuff now but that would grind to a halt with a 5k upgrade in price. It's a battle they cannot win any way you look at it. Take what you can get and move on.

Luvtoleanit, while I agree with most things, I too consider the VFR1200 to be a Sports Tourer.

And it's what I need. I've had more than one bike in the garage, it's devastating for my love for bikes: I can't stand one sitting there and the other getting ridden.

At age 51 and with arthritis getting worse, I've had to abandon some dreams bike-wise. And I can't afford more than one bike anyway.

I have a feeling you're forgetting geography and finances. The world is not the USA alone and Honda sells all over the world. For instance, the hyper-sports market has collapsed in this and the surrounding countries. With all the speed limit enforcements, naked is the new trend, has been for some years.

Financially, I had 10 buddies I could go ride with on weekends, do track days etc. Today I have none. There are other things on people's priorities lists. A house, kids, health etc.

The potential buyers market is also old, quite old. Some will prefer the big ST's, others like my neighbor at age 61 get a used Speed Triple and take more time for their warm-up ritual than they do for their actual ride. Which is never longer than an hour. Okay but that's a bike owner too!

The youngest one I know has a Z1000 and that's now just sitting there because he couldn't control himself on two occasions and is facing hefty fines and more than one license ban.

None of my nephews in their twenties are interested in bikes, hell they even have to be persuaded to go get a driver's license! How times have changed!

I'm not sure if the bean counters take all this into account. And maybe you think the MFR's have got all this down to an art, naming this bike 'VFR' was pretty much the stupidest thing they could ever have done.

Let's not forget even Honda gets it wrong in a big way sometimes.

Bikes aren't computers but I still think it's worth taking a look at Guy Kawasaki on YouTube. Not all things may apply but he sure makes some good and surprising points on occasion.

Just my two cents etc.

when someone asks how i like the VFR12 i point to the odometer and smile....27,000 miles in the first 2 years...i'd like to buy a '13 in the crate and keep it in the corner of the garage in case i wear this one out !!! although rumors are that Honda has something coming next year

Archived