Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

sml_gallery_18558_6982_223875.jpg

I don't see a lot curves in your photo's, just a lot of cows.

:goofy:

When I lived in SE Wisconsin, the extent of curves I rode were mostly the exits and entrances on highways. Cloverleafs were such a big treat!..... No matter how hard I tried to, I can never avoid flat crowning all my tires...... we did not have chicken strips l, we had Turkey strips.....

And oh yes,... we had lots of cows....

• Member Contributer

That's in the middle of the twisty bits along a straight. Do you think I'm going to stop and park my bike in front of a twisty sign to please you? :491:

And I won't post my routes on the internet. What we do out there stays out there. :goofy:

When I lived in SE Wisconsin, the extent of curves I rode were mostly the exits and entrances on highways. Cloverleafs were such a big treat!..... No matter how hard I tried to, I can never avoid flat crowning all my tires...... we did not have chicken strips l, we had Turkey strips.....

And oh yes,... we had lots of cows....

Sounds like OKC to me. :laugh2: Bought a lil' 600cc Seca II while I lived up there and sold it soon after. Them 1-mile square grids were boring as all get go. To be fair... if I had known about all those Arkansas twisties, I probably would have bought a sport tourer instead and be happier.

Greatest state ad campaign ever was Wisconsin's "Come smell our dairy air". Pure gold.

I don't think that's the best "advertisement" to come from any State..........

The best State motto to come from Wisconsin or any state was "EAT CHEESE OR DIE!".

No joke! It was an entered in a contest held by the state to try and find a new Motto to replace "America's Dairyland" on vehicle license plates in the 80's....It ended up like winning second place..........

I'm sure some fellow "cheeseheads" here might remember that one......

• Member Contributer

That's in the middle of the twisty bits along a straight. Do you think I'm going to stop and park my bike in front of a twisty sign to please you? :491:

And I won't post my routes on the internet. What we do out there stays out there. :goofy:

We do all the time .

3 sisters run ?

335,336,337 !!!!!

The Three Sisters route starts in Medina, TX. From Medina catch RR337 (at this point you are starting on "The Three Sisters") heading west (right). Take RR337 west until you come up on the town of Leakey. At Leakey, go north on US 83 for a just about a mile and look for RR336 on the left. Take a left onto RR336 which will head you north. Continue north on RR336 until you meet Texas 41 and at this point you will want to turn left in order to head west. Go west for 15 miles or so and you will find RR335 on the left. Take a left (east) and get on RR335 and drive south down to Camp Wood where you can take a left on to RR337 and finish out the loop when you hit Leakey again.

• Member Contributer

I'll be game once the VFR suspension is done. 2014 I start venturing out of my local twisty bits again, finally!

Does the R1 ever get to run wild ?

Every single weekend when it's above 40. This cold air, oh my, the thing is fueled so well, the A/F. The autotune working off that custom map is incredible.

And I meant, away from local twisties. For the past year I've done no trips, only local twisties all year. I'm ready to head down to the hill country and make the Arkansas trip. Time, mods, and $ haven't aligned yet but they will in 2014 hopefully. Trying to line work up for 2014 still so I can strip the VFR down to the engine and frames to get the remaining stuff done to it.

• Member Contributer

;

Greatest state ad campaign ever was Wisconsin's "Come smell our dairy air". Pure gold.

I don't think that's the best "advertisement" to come from any State..........

The best State motto to come from Wisconsin or any state was "EAT CHEESE OR DIE!".

No joke! It was an entered in a contest held by the state to try and find a new Motto to replace "America's Dairyland" on vehicle license plates in the 80's....It ended up like winning second place..........

I'm sure some fellow "cheeseheads" here might remember that one......

That's solid.

How bout the old cheese commercial where they said "In 1969 man landed on the moon and found it was not made of cheese. They haven't been back since".

• 1 month later...

I have owned a 84' VF 500, an 89' CBR 600 Hurricane, a 2002 VFR 800, and currently own a 2013 VFR 1200F. Out of all of these bikes, the 2013 VFR 1200 is my favorite. I am 42 years old, 6'-2" tall and weight 240 lbs. I am finally comfortable on the new bike and the power is phenomenal. It's not a race bike and it's not a full on tour bike. That's why I bought it. I traded my 02 VFR 800 in on it because it was a bit of a task to ride it in traffic with the abrupt throttle mannerism. Heli bars may have made a slight improvement with the ergonomics but I don't have that issue with the 1200. I am surprised at how well the 1200 hides its weight. Maybe it's because I am bigger than some other riders, but I welcome the fit and force of the 1200. The only thing I have found a bit annoying on the 1200 is the slight drive shaft vibration at low traffic speeds. I wasn't too thrilled about the price tag on the 1200 either but I was able to get it for a great $2000 under MSRP. I think it all boils down to what you expect from the bike. The 1200 does what I want in a motorcycle. If I was in the market for razors edge performance, I would have went with the 1000 RR. If I wanted a sofa on two wheels complete with furniture, I would have gone the Gold Wing route. Now I may have to rethink things if Honda were to come out with a VFR 1200 that has a racier front end and the under tail exhaust and larger fuel tank. I think they would have a winner. Until they build my dream bike, I will continue to enjoy my 1200.

I have owned a 84' VF 500, an 89' CBR 600 Hurricane, a 2002 VFR 800, and currently own a 2013 VFR 1200F. Out of all of these bikes, the 2013 VFR 1200 is my favorite. I am 42 years old, 6'-2" tall and weight 240 lbs. I am finally comfortable on the new bike and the power is phenomenal. It's not a race bike and it's not a full on tour bike. That's why I bought it. I traded my 02 VFR 800 in on it because it was a bit of a task to ride it in traffic with the abrupt throttle mannerism. Heli bars may have made a slight improvement with the ergonomics but I don't have that issue with the 1200. I am surprised at how well the 1200 hides its weight. Maybe it's because I am bigger than some other riders, but I welcome the fit and force of the 1200. The only thing I have found a bit annoying on the 1200 is the slight drive shaft vibration at low traffic speeds. I wasn't too thrilled about the price tag on the 1200 either but I was able to get it for a great $2000 under MSRP. I think it all boils down to what you expect from the bike. The 1200 does what I want in a motorcycle. If I was in the market for razors edge performance, I would have went with the 1000 RR. If I wanted a sofa on two wheels complete with furniture, I would have gone the Gold Wing route. Now I may have to rethink things if Honda were to come out with a VFR 1200 that has a racier front end and the under tail exhaust and larger fuel tank. I think they would have a winner. Until they build my dream bike, I will continue to enjoy my 1200.

Don't worry about having to rethink things for what might be an upcoming VFR you described......Lots of us here have been waiting for such a VFR to come out from Honda for a very long time now, Unless the globe's suddenly polarity changes or nasty aliens put out a big order for them,.....or we hire a hundred hypnotists to work on Honda Hammamatsu R&D engineers and marketing people,...........It'll never happen.....It just won't.....can't.....just forget it.... :sad2:

The VFR1200 must feel like the red-headed step child to Honda right now. I doubt they would be inclined to spend any R&D dollars on this Cinderella. Even if they do, I'm not sure I really care to find out what monstrosity they might cook up.

Seeing as how they replaced the ST1300 with the CTX1300. :wacko:

Honda seems to forget the people like us who made them what they are back in the '70's....they seem so consumed with their research data that favors the cruiser crowd and those who think they can't ride a bike if they can put both feet flat on the ground ...i love my VFR1200F single clutch !!!! waiting for the snow to melt so i can try out my new Ohlins shock !!!!

I traded in a 08 FJR1300 for my 2013 VFR 1200F. Just wanted something different and my last Honda was a 99 Blackbird. At first I was not sure I had made the right decision but with the help of some aftermarket parts I am happy with my decision. It handles, stops & goes significantly better than the FJR did. It is 50 pounds lighter than the FJR was and with the addition of either Honda OEM or Givi luggage it will take me anywhere i want to go at my age. When Don Guhl finishes with his development of a ECU re-flash and ships my ECU back I expect to have an even bigger grin on my face. :beer:

No I did not regret buying a VFR1200F because I couldn't afford to buy one... nor do I run a website fórum where the members are mentally deranged enough to propose putting a few bucks together and buying one for the guy running the place!!!

But I would if I could...

What I can say is that I have test ridden both the manual and automatic versions and was adrenalinally delighted. Power on tap. Brakes galore. No sideways shaft-drive torque issues. Virtually, roughly the same ergonomics as the 5th or 6th gens. OK, the fuel tank could do with 3 litres more capacity, but getting off to fuel up more often for someone with 5 slipped intervertebral discs is probably a good thing and forces you to speak to the locals. The engine could do with 30 BHP less... as it eats up rear tyres, or is that due to the shaft-drive??

The OEM bags are too small compared to the previous gen's hardbags, but there are aftermarket alternatives so no biggie.

USD front forks... ok so the rear suspensión preload knob gets stuck due to internal corrossion but you just remove the plastic knob and get into it with WD40 and from then on carry a ratchet and socket to fit in the tool kit.

I liked it so much the day Honda let me take it for a test ride (it was Saturday and they said: "If you're going far and won't be getting back before closing time, bring her back in Monday morning, no worries")... I got my photo taken by some rather overfriendly uniformed individuals on the side of the road behind a bush, at some 60 km/h over the speed limit going up a mountain pass scraping the pegs... funny, the pegs scrape just the same as on the 6th gen.

I like it and if I suddenly find myself in june/july this year with a decent salary resultant from my graduating as a nurse, I will be in a real dilemna between the VFR1200F and the new VFR800F...

• Member Contributer

I think all the theorizing will blow up if and when the Euro only VFR800 version appears in the market here. I think there is a pent up demand for a modernized VFR800( and wished for 1000),that appeals to folks who have experienced VFR in all the first six generations, but are "buffaloed" by having no new VFR choice but the 1200. There is always a crackle of excitement when the new 800 is mentioned or is shown in a mag. One wonders who in Hades at Honda makes the market release calls.

I can honestly say that early on I thought I'd made a mistake buying the VFR1200. Handling was awful when pushed hard. Low speed fueling was insufferable and made worse by a little too much driveline lash. And it made my wrists ache in pretty short order. But the compactness was awesome and the low end torque for powering out of corners absolutely trounced inline fours. Clearly this was a good platform to build from. A Penske shock, Ohlins springs, and PR3s transformed the handling. A Two Bros Juice Box and a z-bomb greatly improved the fueling issues, although I still notice the driveline lash at times. And Helibars massively improved comfort. The fuel economy and range still bug me sometimes, but overall I'm now pretty damn happy with the bike. I do miss the quieter cockpit of my old FJR, but I like EVERYTHING ELSE better about the VFR now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I think all the theorizing will blow up if and when the Euro only VFR800 version appears in the market here. I think there is a pent up demand for a modernized VFR800( and wished for 1000),that appeals to folks who have experienced VFR in all the first six generations, but are "buffaloed" by having no new VFR choice but the 1200. There is always a crackle of excitement when the new 800 is mentioned or is shown in a mag. One wonders who in Hades at Honda makes the market release calls.

Not just Euro ...

I had a 6th gen until recently and now moved onto a 7th gen. Didn't like the look of it when they first came out but it has grown on me and now I really like it. I've had mine now for 5 weeks and already done 1600 mile on it. Even with all the rain we've had in the UK I get off my bike with a big smile. Can't wait to get rid if the Dunlops and get PR4's. I've riden lots of different bikes as part of my job including the BMW K1300s and wouldn't swap the VFR1200 for any of them.

wow PR4's !!!

thnx steveb77 for bringing the new PR4 to my attention...too bad i just put new PR3's on at the end of the season

congrats on the new VFR12 !!!... '13??....what color ??...enjoy it !! it does grow on you !! i love the way it looks...going out to the garage to sit on mine and go vroom while i watch another 6" of snow fall

good luck and ride safe !!

Archived