Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Isark. My VFR12 is in titanium blade matallic. Didn't want to get the red as everyone has it in that colour and the black is hard to keep looking good when your riding it all the time. Still raining here but at least we haven't had any snow yet.

post-28917-0-48858600-1392767229.jpg

The drive shaft put me off for a long time. I work on BMW's and seen alot of expensive drive shaft and rear drive failiers. Wanted to wait long enough to see if it was going to be an issue.

Hi Isark. My VFR12 is in titanium blade matallic. Didn't want to get the red as everyone has it in that colour and the black is hard to keep looking good when your riding it all the time. Still raining here but at least we haven't had any snow yet.

i like it in that color, but it was never offered in the US...you guys get all the cool stuff !!

After doing all the mods that make shamu as good as it can be for me and 8000 miles later I'm stuck with a bike that I can't get rid of. Well not for a decent return anyway.

The mods include:

1st & 2nd gear issue mod

ohlins rear shock

up standard type handlebars

powercommander

removed catalytic converter with Leo Vince muffler

The worst thing is my GSXR 1000(with standard handlebar setup) is more comfortable on long rides than my VFR and a helluva lot more fun.

Anyone else feeling buyers remorse?

well i did with 6th gen sold it-couldn't take it any more- and now got an old one that if i could get the suspension and brakes up to par would be a better bike--- but i am still in search of the perfect bike if i find one i will let you know

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I installed helibars on my 7th generation and what a difference! This is the way it should be from the factory. The comfort and control at low speeds have increased incredibly. I wish I'd done it sooner. Next in line are the PC-V, K&N air filter, cat removal and some electrical accessories like Fuzeblock, USB and cigarette lighter plugs.

I had a very rocky start with my bike, soon after I bought it, the ECU gave up the ghost,.Thank god it was still under warranty. The power limitation in the first two gears made low speed handling very tricky. The first thing I bought was the Bazzaz Z-bomb and it made a noticable improvement thought the low speed throttle response is still poor in my opinion. I hope to solve that by de-catting and installing PC-V; I'll get the bike dynoed to get the best tune. If I'm happy with the result, I'll tackle the suspension to make this bike even better. I think I'll also get the seat redone to make it less slippery, thankfully I know a great place in Istanbul.

This bike has a lot of potential, and it takes some work to bring the full goodness out. I'm happy I decided to keep the bike; I hope to write about the finished article soon...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

That's the best advice I've seen on a forum in a long time,it's so obvious I dunno why I didn't think of it, especialy since I just done it on an abs bike, the abs on my jeep is horrible,on a slippy road the pedal just judders and you don't think the thing will ever stop, I'm just gona pull the abs fuse,probably going to have to remove an annoying bulb too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well.... :goofy: Just got home from doing 200 miles on the "New and Improved" 2010 VFR1200, and I mean it. The restrictions are all gone, throttle response is perfect with no lag at all, and not violent either. 1st and 2nd gears are what they should have been all along :cheerleader: No error codes (servo removed). Transitions between gears and throttle position is smooth as a .... :cool: And boy does this thing corner nicely now, with no hiccups when going on/off the throttle. Also the fuel map that Don put in there gets rid of the stumble between 3k-5k with the throttle 10%-30%. The only thing I was not able to test was the top speed limiter... Not enough road.

I'll report back when I get the Dyno run done on May 12th.

I would definitely get this done if I was anyone who is on the fence. And Don also told me that the fuel map is the same for the DCT version, So contact Don and send it in.

My bike is stock except, DAM exhaust, and PAIR system removed.

Stock air filter.

Stock header with CAT.

If you call the shop and the voicemail picks up, just call back.

Guhl Motors 717-618-4212

Do I regret buying my VFR1200? HELL NO!!!

nice pic. Btw, Are those jeans? Tracks here require full leathers.

That's a cool looking pipe... :wink: What is it?

DAM

That's a cool looking pipe... :wink: What is it?

DAM all chrome I think?

Polished stainless (but same diff)

Do I regret buying my VFR1200? HELL NO!!!

nice pic. Btw, Are those jeans? Tracks here require full leathers.

Most Tracks here do to, I'm wearing Draggin Jeans they are lined with Kevlar. trick is don't fall off :D

My favourite pic of my bike, taken on the Old Pacific Hwy in NSW Australia, a very popular riding road.

VFR1200 Old Road NSW Australia pic2

I love my 1200 dct. Everything about it. Power,handling,braking and the looks. I'm getting close to 50 years old,and I still get the rush out of a hi-performance bike. Excellent machine in my opinion!

Holy ship! How many times does this stoopid thread have to be revived????

I say again..........No!

Heck No!

No trucken way!!!!!

I love my bike.

It is cool.

That is all.

Ride safe.

Hell no, I almost went nuts because the mechanic I was using took so long putting my bike back together. Finally I told him to put it together and I will have the rest of the work done by someone else. After being on the bike instantly all of my stress went away. My heart starts beating fast just thinking about being on my bike. When I order a new part off the internet my bike, me waiting for the part to be shipped is like a kid waiting for christmas.

• 3 months later...
These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?

There must be something which they did not like...

Yeah i noticed this. VFR owners are fierce and keep their 750's and 800's for years until they get up to 100, 000 clicks. I was just checking the 1200's on bikesales and theres bags of 2010's with like 5 and 7 thousand k's.

• Member Contributer
These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?

There must be something which they did not like...

Yeah i noticed this. VFR owners are fierce and keep their 750's and 800's for years until they get up to 100, 000 clicks. I was just checking the 1200's on bikesales and theres bags of 2010's with like 5 and 7 thousand k's.

Most people don't like change. VFR owners are um, aging (trying to be polite) and the 1200 is just too different for them compared to the 800.

For me, all the changes are what I wanted. More HP and TQ, much more, and proper USD forks that can be revalved/resprung and not need to do a full front end conversion to get proper forks. The 60 more HP should be the biggest change with the bike but it isn't. The mass centralization is. The 1200 just handles so damn well.

This is obviously a thread by someone who simply doesn't own one or really wanted a short range crotch rocket.

My little 1200 does what I really wanted out of a Sport/Tourer you can putt through town, go like hell or just set it up to tour and sit back and watch the miles fall away. What's not to like, every Bike I have ever owned I have had to tweak to make it mine this one will be no different.

I have done my thing with crotch rockets and Adventure Bikes so for me the Honda VFR 1200 fits the bill perfectly.

post-30832-0-79840200-1408710236.jpg

Archived