Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

After doing all the mods that make shamu as good as it can be for me and 8000 miles later I'm stuck with a bike that I can't get rid of. Well not for a decent return anyway.

The mods include:

1st & 2nd gear issue mod

ohlins rear shock

up standard type handlebars

powercommander

removed catalytic converter with Leo Vince muffler

The worst thing is my GSXR 1000(with standard handlebar setup) is more comfortable on long rides than my VFR and a helluva lot more fun.

Anyone else feeling buyers remorse?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((((((The worst thing is my GSXR 1000(with standard handlebar setup) is more comfortable on long rides than my VFR and a helluva lot more fun.)))))

Wow! For someone whose considering a 1000 RR to replace the VFR 800, While I raised the forks to drop the front end on the 800, I also raised the clipons. The 1200 doesnt seem to have this adjustbility if needed. To me it also seems to have a tighter peg to seat relation than the 800, is this true?

While I like some of the ammenties on the 800, nice dashboard, I test rode a R1 crossplane and it was like riding on a Furnace, I couldnt tolerate it for long. So that leaves the ZX1000 or the Honda 1000rr.

• Member Contributer

Can we get a picture of you? you must have a very specific body shape......

After doing all the mods that make shamu as good as it can be for me and 8000 miles later I'm stuck with a bike that I can't get rid of. Well not for a decent return anyway.

The mods include:

1st & 2nd gear issue mod

ohlins rear shock

powercommander

The worst thing is my GSXR 1000(with standard handlebar setup) is more comfortable on long rides than my VFR and a helluva lot more fun.

You may be thinking the mods you've done have somehow increased the value of the bike but they will make it impossible to use as a trade in. The removal of the catylitic converter makes the bike unsellable, or certainly un registerable. Put it back to bone stock and trade up.

As for the money you've spent on it, it's in the passed, forget about it.

Right after I paid for my Concours 14A and drove it out of the showroom... I regretted it.

So I can understand your feelings.

Fortunately, I personally feel the VFR1200 is not an attractive bike, so I will never have the urge to buy one.

But I am sure there are many with the same attitude as you.

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?

There must be something which they did not like...

The mods include:

1st & 2nd gear issue mod

ohlins rear shock

powercommander

You may be thinking the mods you've done have somehow increased the value of the bike but they will make it impossible to use as a trade in. The removal of the catylitic converter makes the bike unsellable, or certainly un registerable. Put it back to bone stock and trade up.

As for the money you've spent on it, it's in the passed, forget about it.

Tamworth ,

in regards to my mods and my intentions you are a little off The cat removal was simply a performance thing that probobly takes value away but does not create a registration issue here in California. As I understand some states do vehicle inspections. With the probobility of Ca. following suit my mod to the exhaust system is easily reversable by design .

Anyway your kind of veering off the topic of intent.

Alaskan.

I don't like the TBW feeling of disconnect(I you have this explained to than you will never get it)

I dont like the ABS

The weight (although I knew what I was getting into)

The riding position is cramped for a big bike or any bike

• Member Contributer

Interestingly Cyle-ergo.com shows the VFR and GSXR have the same seat-to-peg (indicated in knee angle). The Gixxer has a much longer and lower reach to the bars which shows up with much more weight on your wrists and a sharper hip angle that can lead to discomfort for some.

The VFR 1200 really is a great looking bike in person but all I have to do to talk myself out of buying one is to sit on it. My 55 year-old knees (I'm 6'2") cannot take the cramped position or otherwise I would already own one. I traded my Blackbird in years ago for a 5th gen so I get what the VFR1200 has to offer I think.

Maybe BLS has a peg lowering kit available?

KEB

My GSXR is an 08 and as I said has standard type handlebars not clipons. As for the seat to peg relationship the GSXR is as measured 1 in. longer. Lowering the pegs on the VFR is an option I don't want to do as I already scrape the pegs as they are.i would consider a higher seat but that doesn't solve all the issues.This bike is an exercise in design and it misses the mark.i don't see the need for TBW when yhe bike doesn;t have traction control for instance.It doesn't make sense.But I knew all of this going in

• Member Contributer

Don't regret the purchase. However, I did buy a custom seat which moved the riding position forward about 1&1/2 inches and also lowered the pegs an inch. Both made the 1200 more accomodating to me (I'm 5'10") It is a longer reach to the bars than the VFR800 I had, but with the new seat and pegs, i can put in 10 hour days with no issues.

The riding position is, more or less, identical to the other VFR (750 and 800), is difficult to feel a difference.

I normally do 500-600 km without problems. Sportbikes are a totally different thing.

The only modification that I will do is the handlebar positioning on top of fork, recovering about 12 mm from standard position.

I'm 6' tall and 54 years old.

• Member Contributer
My GSXR is an 08 and as I said has standard type handlebars not clipons. As for the seat to peg relationship the GSXR is as measured 1 in. longer. Lowering the pegs on the VFR is an option I don't want to do as I already scrape the pegs as they are.i would consider a higher seat but that doesn't solve all the issues.This bike is an exercise in design and it misses the mark.i don't see the need for TBW when yhe bike doesn;t have traction control for instance.It doesn't make sense.But I knew all of this going in

So I lowered my 6th gen's footpegs but shimmed the shock (raised the bike) to compensate. I love the way the bike feels now. In a perfect world you would try these simple mods and let me know how it works. :smile: As for the TBW it is only a matter of time before most bikes have them. We may have to get used to it or figure out a fix.

If there was any possibility that you could mod the VFR into something you enjoy to ride it is comforting to know that you have a machine that will likely hold up very well over the years to come. I know when I see a 1200 in the flesh I am always struck by how modern and distinctive it looks so I predict the bike will age extremely well.

KEB

Ooohhh for a 6th gen body with a 1000 CC (or more) gear driven engine. I can just dream.

You know, I totally agree with this. That would be the perfect package. I would also lose the linked brakes.

IG

You never get back what you put into a bike, and as with cars, it depreciates the minute you drive off the lot. If you have mods, you will always have to sell separately unless the private buyer wants them. I never trade in a bike, the dealer will always hand you your arse, then turn around and make a big profit.

I do not regret buying. Finding a powerful bike that a 5'1" female with a 26" inseam can ride is a very narrow choice unless I want to be stuck riding a 250 rebel for the remainder of my life.. I sold my 06 CBR1000RR for it, which had much worse ergos for long rides. This one is better, but still a little hard on the neck.

That's why I'm adding a Goldwing to the mix, and keeping this one too.

snip

Alaskan.

I don't like the TBW feeling of disconnect(I you have this explained to than you will never get it)

I dont like the ABS

The weight (although I knew what I was getting into)

The riding position is cramped for a big bike or any bike

Not sure what you're feeling with the throttle when you say "disconnect", it's as responsive as non TBW, maybe too responsive for some people, and your "never get it" comment is just plain condescending.

The only reason someone wouldn't like abs is because it prevents them from locking up their tires.

It seems everything you don't like about the bike would be quite obvious before purchase.

Anyway, not to veer of topic intent, looks like nobody else feels buyer remorse. The only other people who are disappointed with the 12 are people who don't own and have never ridden one.

Archived