Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO don't regret my purchase at all.

It's simply the best all-round motorcycle I've owned since I started riding back in 1970. I have had countless motorcycles from then to now, virtually all classes and displacements, currently 12 titled and 6 that I ride regularly. There's no need to "justify" anything to myself or anyone in saying I prefer my VFR DCT over ANY bike I have owned. It's just a personal fact, and I don't really expect nor care if anyone agrees with me or not. I don't say that with an attitude in the slightest, everyone has their own feelings which I respect whole heartedly. Ride what you like and respect others right to do the same.

Since owning the bike, I have gone on 4 solo trips between 2400-3800 in most all conditions, and as a result of those trips and daily driving I have made modifications which tailor and focus the bike more to my needs, desires and preferences. Most notable of these; electronic cruise control, heli-bars, a larger top case, heated grips, much better tires and exhaust. I did swap out to the optional lower seat, but am still searching for another seat, hopefully heated. So yes, it was not "perfect" to me from Honda. From my standpoint the bike is too expensive, or at least the cases should have been included in the price, and cruise control and heated grips should have been standard perhaps in an optional Tour package, and yes the gas tank should be a gallon bigger. Having said that I can routinely get 160-175 miles between tank fill ups and have 4 times gotten over 200 miles on a tank. Judicious throttle, DCT with my Cruise control I think increases my range. The DCT is highly personal, but I love it... and it proves itself time in and out, especially on long trips where I'm fully loaded and packed.

I find the bike, for ME, as a SOLO sport-tourer, suitably quick and agile, not overly large/heavy, yet not too small, and perhaps leaning, as I preferred, more to sport than tour. I figured I could then modify to a more Touring bike. It has also been perfectly fine as a two-up long weekend tourer, and although I have not gone on a long two-up trip yet, do not see as an issue with "travel-minded" packing.

That brings up the cost of modifications. Simply... you almost never get out what you put in, on resale. Period. I have enough bike and car projects under my belt to learn this first hand. So do what you want to do for yourself and call it a day. If the platform of your project isn't close enough to your final expectations, then choose another bike to begin with, or do the changes out of love of modding and be done with it.

I have never found the perfect bike. For me, perhaps there is no such animal. The VFR1200F DCT however is, without question, a fantastic overall bike that can be a daily rider and that can put down serious miles with speed and agility and packed to boot. Also being a Honda, from experience, you can find a dealer or service with more confidence than say BMW. This is an important point, as in my last trip, a deer intersected my path in the fog on I 75 at about 62 mph. Two days later, after a very helpful Knoxville, TN Honda dealer had special ordered parts to get me back on the road, I was on my way home and to my local shop, where the bike was made like new again, complete with the OEM white I had on when purchased.

So, I have no question about my purchase decision, and can honestly state that if I HAD to choose ONE bike; It'd be MY VFR1200F DCT.

ZillaMoto, what is your overall impression of the Honda lower seat? What sort of difference did it make vs. stock '10? Same surface texture? Some pictures would really be appreciated.

I am thinking about ordering the lower seat, but haven't found too many reviews of it.

lets face it, if Honda had produced a simple motorized 6 speed (vfr 1000) with hydraulic valved GP motor, race level suspension, and adjusted for ammenities and comfort.

90 % of everyone would be Drooling like CRAZY, and trying to buy!

Honda is just too BIG for their Bitches, and why their bikes sit for years on the showroom Unbought.

Sounds like some kind of Homer Simpson mobile :laughing6-hehe:

And don't forget it has to be priced under 10 grand.

lets face it, if Honda had produced a simple motorized 6 speed (vfr 1000) with hydraulic valved GP motor, race level suspension, and adjusted for ammenities and comfort.

90 % of everyone would be Drooling like CRAZY, and trying to buy!

Honda is just too BIG for their Bitches, and why their bikes sit for years on the showroom Unbought.

What if Honda would have reached out to the fans in 08 and 09 and told us that the next VFR would be a bit of a departure.... It would have a 50 percent increase in power and displacement, seriously upgraded brakes and suspension, a new generation of shaft drive with a sliding CV joint, a bunch of engine technology trickled directly down from MotoGP and the option of a F1-style dual clutch gearbox. It will weigh about 20Kg more than a VFR800ABS and will move up the product line as a premium flagship model, but still be priced below a K1300S. What would the reaction have been?

My point is that Honda successfully made a great motorcycle, but failed to manage expectations and blew the launch. Fortunately for enthusiasts that can separate the flyshit from the pepper, you can now own the World's best sport-touring motorcycle for under ten grand.

Me, I paid closer to $20k (Canada) but I had a hard-on for this thing since the first spy photos dropped. Still no regrets.

edit: every manufacturer has 2-3 year old bikes sitting in the showroom unbought right now. I can head down to the local multi-line euro dealer and have my choice of a brand-new: 2009 RSV1000 Factory, 2008 Guzzi V7 Classic, 2010 Triumph Tiger. Or I can head over to the Kawi Yammy dealer and get a brand new 09 FJR, 09 ZX-6R, 2010 R6 or R1... etc etc. Not a good time to be in the powersports industry right now. Honda have reacted quickly by introducing a stack of cheap entry-level and learner bikes.

ZillaMoto, what is your overall impression of the Honda lower seat? What sort of difference did it make vs. stock '10? Same surface texture? Some pictures would really be appreciated.

I am thinking about ordering the lower seat, but haven't found too many reviews of it.

Although the seat appears the same, and has the same (in my view) slippery surface... the very subtle appearing difference of just being bit lower across the whole dimension front to rear translates to a not subtle and noticeable change so that the rider does not slide forward as easily and/or carry his weight on his "stuff". It made a huge difference to me, lessening the weight on my wrists occurring from the counteracting of that slide forward, decompressing my stuff, and therefore decreasing marginally the hot spot on my groin during long rides. Pictures won't show you the difference. They effectively look the same, but if you want, take a look at my gallery, and if you see the bike loaded up, that's the lower seat on it.

I'm 6', 180 lbs, yet I have a shorter inseam, 32-33" so although i did notice my legs were bent a bit more acutely, it has not seemed to be a problem. It seems to have a bit less padding thickness, but again is not inherently much difference from the standard seat in hardness. I still find the seat a bit too slippery, but that makes the seat still nice for sporty rides as you can slide your butt from side to side easily, and still hang on the edge of the firm seat which is harder to do in the scooped out solutions of some aftermarket seats.

After a couple long rides and 18 mo. or so, I wondered if perhaps I had imagined the benefits or over exaggerated to myself the benefits of the lower seat and put the original back on. I took it off after 100 mile "retest" jaunt... there's no imagining. For me the lower seat IS better. Is it worth the money? That's up to an individual's wallet and ass. I happened to get mine 25% off, so it was worth it. The comments are all based on the 2010 seat, and low seat option. I understand the 2013 seat is different but have not seen it or heard any reports on it. I am/was hoping my dealer would have a new VFR to swap seats out and test if possible.

Now having said all the above, I am still looking for another seat specifically for long-range TOURING. There's nothing I see available in the aftermarket yet that comes off the shelf the way I want. Therefore I am looking at taking the original seatpan and having a heated seat made, constructed with laminar modern foam construction over a covered gel core. The passenger pillion will be wider, spreading completely to and between the passenger grips, with more of a demarcation between rider and pillion, but not to the degree of looking like a step sofa. The covering needs to be more grippy, yet more breathable. The overall dimension can go back to the standard height for more padding as long as it is flatter front to rear like the optional low Honda seat, but it still needs to have a sporty look, and be stiff enough to hang off the edges. The seat will be subtly contoured for "jewel cradling" rather than smashing. Roasted and pressed nuts are not a delicacy on long trips I'm afraid. Yes, my desired spec's are a tall order but I hope to have my solution by this coming summer.

Apologize for the long winded response,just tried to give the straight stuff as I have found. As always, your findings may vary.

• Member Contributer
edit: every manufacturer has 2-3 year old bikes sitting in the showroom unbought right now. I can head down to the local multi-line euro dealer and have my choice of a brand-new: 2009 RSV1000 Factory, 2008 Guzzi V7 Classic, 2010 Triumph Tiger. Or I can head over to the Kawi Yammy dealer and get a brand new 09 FJR, 09 ZX-6R, 2010 R6 or R1... etc etc. Not a good time to be in the powersports industry right now. Honda have reacted quickly by introducing a stack of cheap entry-level and learner bikes.

Fully agree to this. Not too many people buying new bikes. Used bike market is pretty good with good prices. Honda is doing the business smart thing by introducing low-price bikes to find better markets. I've had more conversations about people thinking about buying the NC700X than the CBRs, or VFRs, or S1000RRs.

Although the seat appears the same, and has the same (in my view) slippery surface... the very subtle appearing difference of just being bit lower across the whole dimension front to rear translates to a not subtle and noticeable change so that the rider does not slide forward as easily and/or carry his weight on his "stuff". It made a huge difference to me, lessening the weight on my wrists occurring from the counteracting of that slide forward, decompressing my stuff, and therefore decreasing marginally the hot spot on my groin during long rides...

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write this. Every word is appreciated. Your assessment of the stock seat is spot on with mine. I actually don't mind the slippery surface too much. I have a ZX10R seat on my C14 for in-town riding, precisely because it is a bit lower, narrower, and slipperier, which is better for "spirited riding". :smile: For long haul, I switch to Kawi's lower gel seat. For my 175lbs 5'7" and 30" inseam frame, the VFR1200 stock seat feel a lot lower and much more confidence inspiring than the C14, even thought published seat height aren't that different. But... I'm after the "fringe benefits" of the lower seat you described. I'm not too concern about comfort for the very long haul. I'm replacing the C14 with VFR because I didn't get to tour as much as I originally thought. I have no doubt the VFR will be fine for the 3-4 day 1200 mile tours I do once or twice a yr.

I have a local Honda dealer here that is very good about parts and accessory discount. I got the center stand and tank pad for less than the lowest I can find online. Pretty sure I can get the lower seat for less than $200, which is a bargain considering what aftermarket seat typically go for.

Thanks again for your review of the lower seat.

What if Honda would have reached out to the fans in 08 and 09 and told us that the next VFR would be a bit of a departure.... It would have a 50 percent increase in power and displacement, seriously upgraded brakes and suspension, a new generation of shaft drive with a sliding CV joint, a bunch of engine technology trickled directly down from MotoGP and the option of a F1-style dual clutch gearbox. It will weigh about 20Kg more than a VFR800ABS and will move up the product line as a premium flagship model, but still be priced below a K1300S. What would the reaction have been?

My point is that Honda successfully made a great motorcycle, but failed to manage expectations and blew the launch. Fortunately for enthusiasts that can separate the flyshit from the pepper, you can now own the World's best sport-touring motorcycle for under ten grand.

Me, I paid closer to $20k (Canada) but I had a hard-on for this thing since the first spy photos dropped. Still no regrets.

Well said. In early 2011, when I started looking to get back to riding, the VFR1200 was one of the first few bikes that caught my eye. By then, all the hype and subsequent letdown had come and gone. I was left wondering what da heck was all that hoopla about. Here is a solid piece of hardware built to the usual Honda quality and refinement. No, it wasn't a SS1000R killer; nor was it meant to whip FJR/C14/RT/Norge's butt in a battle of the traditional STs. It is a "gentlemen's sportbike" as define by the K1300S and arguable better than the German orignial. It targets folks who have ridden mostly sportbikes previously, but age and family have conspired to rid them of their shenanigant ways. A few even get together to ride "The Pace" for a few 100 miles at a time. But... still nowhere old enough to join the Goldwing club or, gulp... the geezerglide gang. In another words... riders like me.

Blame Honda for not marketing the VFR1200, indeed. Starting with the fact that Honda still list the VFR1200 as the flagship under the Sportbike category on their own website. Somehow, I get the sense Honda doesn't much care. They built it like they built the NSX - to sell other more mundane hardware having bits and pieces of its styling and technology. How else could you explain a CBR250 that has almost exactly the same paint scheme and looks? And the NC700 having the same DCT?

Agreed. If leftover 2010 bikes in late 2012 means it is a bad bike, then what does that mean for the 6th gen? I bought my 2008 as a new leftover in September 2011.

• Forum CEO

I dont regret mine one bit, its not a 98 thats for sure but then again the way I got mine was dream nobody could have predicted! The power of the thing is absolutely intoxicating, its heafty in the very tight stuff and I often get passed by the more nimble 5th/6th gens in the very tight stuff of North Carolina I dont mind I am still in the hunt, but boy its a lot of fun on the sweepers. I am riding this thing just as fast if not faster - smoother then my 98! But I did do some tweeking to give it a better ride, like my ohlins shock boy that was a big difference there, the corbin seat is a lot better on my previously broken pelvis then the stock seat. And all the gadgets are on there now!

I just had to learn how to ride it, and it requires smoother inputs, not as good on a dirt road either but boy crossing the plains of Oklahoma and you want to speed up that last 100 miles to the next town, the roll on power is enough to make you laugh out loud in your helmet - or crossing the Loneliest highway in America at 130mph for an hour strait LOL yea I did that! Its NOT so lonely and I got lucky! Slowed down just in time to see a local sherrif paint me with his radar - somebody was watching out for me on that trip! 55mph is said on my dash, just as the first blip of the radar detector went off.

In case your all wondering its the one on the vfrd standard banner up top there, just left of the big VFRD logo, taken the very same day on the Lonely highway across Nevada hwy 50!

Maybe if I had pay $15.000-16.000 US$ plus tax like a lot of people did in 2010-11 I would have some regrets, but since I got mine last March for 10.5 k. US$ I don't think you can get such a quality bike for that $$$ anywhere else.

The power of the thing is absolutely intoxicating, its heafty in the very tight stuff and I often get passed by the more nimble 5th/6th gens in the very tight stuff of North Carolina I dont mind I am still in the hunt, but boy its a lot of fun on the sweepers. I am riding this thing just as fast if not faster -

Sweepers are what it lives for. Lolo pass last summer was one of the best rides of my life. Leaned way over, 100+mph with V4 music echoing off the mountains. Couldn't have been more perfect.

I spent the last 2 weeks riding my WR to Cabo, so I'm a bit late to this party. Regular perusers of the forum will know that I've spent some time flaming my DCT. This won't be much different.

First, I wouldn't necessarily say I regret buying it, but it's not a bike I love. If you want something that mixes sportiness, comfort, technology, and power, there really aren't any other options IMO. Is it perfect? Not even close. But if you need that combo, it's the best that was available at the time, and I would argue it still is. The small fuel tank hasn't really bothered me. Nor has the 1st-2nd gear castration. The weight definitely has. It's a porker, and when I ride lighter bikes I'm amazed at how much more fun I have. The DCT is a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't option, and I still contend it's a waste of money.

I'm not in the target demo for this bike, and maybe that's the issue. It's plenty fast, but I think it looks goofy. More so in pictures, but still not a beauty in person. I too spent a ton of cash on accessories, thinking I was one farkle away from perfection. That said, the Sargent was the best money I've ever spent. For those complaining about the seat, consider getting it custom-foamed and covered by them. It's amazing. Supple and grippy. The DAM is also good, but pricey. I took a 6000 mile, fully-loaded tour in the summer and was not impressed with how the bike feels when packed. Steering is somehow light and unresponsive at the same time. And it eats tires (part of the weight problem). I know I could probably fix most of that with suspension work, but I've stopped throwing money at the problem.

My biggest issue is that it doesn't move me. As motorcycles aren't a necessity, they need some other added value. And I don't think the 1200 has any. I never feel extra excitement when I hit the starter button. I never look at it adoringly when I walk into the garage. I never look out a restaurant window and think "I can't believe that's mine!" It's a well-engineered tool, albeit one without a specific purpose. Trucks aside, I've never liked vehicles without personality. That's highly subjective and ultimately undefineable, but for me, the 12 just doesn't have any. I never find myself smiling inside my helmet, marvelling at the character and excitement of the bike. It simply doesn't push my buttons (DCT pun not intended). It's useful, but I don't love it. Only my opinion.

• Member Contributer
I spent the last 2 weeks riding my WR to Cabo, so I'm a bit late to this party. Regular perusers of the forum will know that I've spent some time flaming my DCT. This won't be much different.

First, I wouldn't necessarily say I regret buying it, but it's not a bike I love. If you want something that mixes sportiness, comfort, technology, and power, there really aren't any other options IMO. Is it perfect? Not even close. But if you need that combo, it's the best that was available at the time, and I would argue it still is. The small fuel tank hasn't really bothered me. Nor has the 1st-2nd gear castration. The weight definitely has. It's a porker, and when I ride lighter bikes I'm amazed at how much more fun I have. The DCT is a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't option, and I still contend it's a waste of money.

I'm not in the target demo for this bike, and maybe that's the issue. It's plenty fast, but I think it looks goofy. More so in pictures, but still not a beauty in person. I too spent a ton of cash on accessories, thinking I was one farkle away from perfection. That said, the Sargent was the best money I've ever spent. For those complaining about the seat, consider getting it custom-foamed and covered by them. It's amazing. Supple and grippy. The DAM is also good, but pricey. I took a 6000 mile, fully-loaded tour in the summer and was not impressed with how the bike feels when packed. Steering is somehow light and unresponsive at the same time. And it eats tires (part of the weight problem). I know I could probably fix most of that with suspension work, but I've stopped throwing money at the problem.

My biggest issue is that it doesn't move me. As motorcycles aren't a necessity, they need some other added value. And I don't think the 1200 has any. I never feel extra excitement when I hit the starter button. I never look at it adoringly when I walk into the garage. I never look out a restaurant window and think "I can't believe that's mine!" It's a well-engineered tool, albeit one without a specific purpose. Trucks aside, I've never liked vehicles without personality. That's highly subjective and ultimately undefineable, but for me, the 12 just doesn't have any. I never find myself smiling inside my helmet, marvelling at the character and excitement of the bike. It simply doesn't push my buttons (DCT pun not intended). It's useful, but I don't love it. Only my opinion.

Your right it’s only an opinion and one you are certainly entitled to. Beyond the opinion your words just made me profoundly sad that the bike fails to move you in so many ways. I hope you eventually find the bike that turns your crank, being this down on your bike can't be good. Being off my bike because of winter weather is like an unrelenting pain that does not subside until spring. Maybe if I lived in California I would be more jaded as well? Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

• Member Contributer

Funny, I was having the same exact feeling about my now departed 6th gen that I sold back in March. Since that time I still had my Honda 450x to ride and boy did I... But back in August, I was feeling that something was missing and had to get another bike... Looked at several different machines, including the Ducati MS and BMW K1600 and just realized what a great deal the Honda VFR 1200 is. So I flew down to Hunnington Beach and picked up mine. Although, I do like mine and it does move me, I really do Love my Plated 450x. So I can relate to what Brian says...

Your right it’s only an opinion and one you are certainly entitled to. Beyond the opinion your words just made me profoundly sad that the bike fails to move you in so many ways. I hope you eventually find the bike that turns your crank, being this down on your bike can't be good. Being off my bike because of winter weather is like an unrelenting pain that does not subside until spring. Maybe if I lived in California I would be more jaded as well? Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Don't get me wrong man, I have a great time on the bike. But I've had great fun on every bike I've ever ridden, from a Vespa to a Boss Hoss. I love riding, so riding itself makes me happy. I spent four years stationed overseas, so I can relate to the pain not riding brings. I would've stabbed someone to get a ride on a maxi-scooter. But bikes are in the business of soul stirring, and there are inevitable hits and misses. Some can be explained, others can't. I adored my old GL1200, but never found much fun in my Hog. Conversely, I can't get enough of the WR, but never really loved the DRZ. I've ridden bikes that I thought I'd love (R6, this means you), only to spend more time with them and become completely disenchanted. I loved my 6th gen (when it worked), but don't get much out of the 7th. Why? I don't know. It's like trying to pinpoint why someone likes certain contemporary art, Asian women, or foie gras. Who knows...you just do.

I guess bike ownership is like dating: you have to have some ups and downs or it becomes boring. Sometimes you make the safe play, others you roll the dice for a little excitement or danger. It's part of the reason I don't test ride bikes before I buy them. It interjects a little risk, but always with the guarantee that it'll be different than the last, but riding one way or the other. And it keeps the cycle moving: if I don't like this bike, then I guess I'll have to get a different one a little sooner than I'd planned. Or maybe I'm just a masochist. Sorry, this was kind of :offtopic:

• Member Contributer

Your further explanation actually helped my frame of mind. Sounds like you have more than enough experience to know what you like and don't. I feared I was heading down an unrelenting pit of despair after reading your posting. I may now have to attribute it to endless days of overcast weather as well. They actually sell specific lights up here that people use to ease the depression from the lack of sunlight. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) they call it. I have a variant called Motorcycle Is Stored Affective Disorder (MISAD).

BrianF,

I'm sorry to hear the bike really doesn't check all your boxes. But, you know what's best for you. However, it was at your (excellent) recommendation that I purchased the DAM exhaust and I love it as well as my DCT. I hope you find the bike that stirs your soul. You have provided great insight and info on this forum and we'll be saddened to see you go (whenever you decide on the new bike).

Thanks again,

Archived