Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

• Member Contributer

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?There must be something which they did not like...

Yeah i noticed this. VFR owners are fierce and keep their 750's and 800's for years until they get up to 100, 000 clicks. I was just checking the 1200's on bikesales and theres bags of 2010's with like 5 and 7 thousand k's.

Most people don't like change. VFR owners are um, aging (trying to be polite) and the 1200 is just too different for them compared to the 800.

For me, all the changes are what I wanted. More HP and TQ, much more, and proper USD forks that can be revalved/resprung and not need to do a full front end conversion to get proper forks. The 60 more HP should be the biggest change with the bike but it isn't. The mass centralization is. The 1200 just handles so damn well.

Aging has nothing to with embracing change. I'm older, but love the advancements made in motorcycles, especially lately. The VFR 1200 was the model that was just the right combination of change and uniqueness that drew me out of a bike buying lull. The features you mention we're big factors, and for me, the DCT was the kicker. I love my 1200 DCT and don't regret buying it one bit.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This is my 3rd VFR....I had an 83, 96, and now the 12....in between I owned an 86 FJ1200... The VFR 12 is more similar to the Yamaha than the other VFRs....smokin motor, big enough for 2up....and will do anything you ask.....track, 1/4 mile, 700 mile days, weekenders....it does it all.....as for the boatloads of used bikes.....have you seen eBay for Used Harley's?

I'm new here to the VFR forum page, and wanted to put in my two cents.

I had the opportunity to buy a '12 DCT with about 2k miles, used but like new, and I can understand what some speak about, so many testors also talked about it, when it came out in '10.

Its heavy, has a shaft drive, so as a sport bike, its lacking lightweight-ness, and the ability to quickly change gearing.

I have adapted to its extra weight, and the gearing seems fine.

Viewed as a touring bike, ( its promoted as Sports - Touring ) it seems to fall short not having big handlebars up high, huge fairing, and stock need the accessory bags and box.

As the original posted mentioned it does seem to be a tight riding triangle.

My last 3 bikes were an '07 GSF1250, '08 VFR800, and a '12 CB1000R.

Do I have remorse buying the VFR1200? No. This is the nicest, fastest, highest quality bike I have ever owned.

I can see some who really want something else, this STYLE of bike, wont be for them.

Having said that, it has taken a long time for me to become accustomed to how the DCT functions.

next year I will have been riding bikes 50 years.

Working as a Honda Suzuki BMW Sea-Doo line tech for over 30 years, ( I wont mention Triumph, BSA, Montessa, Bultaco, or Hodaka to keep the back of the class from laughing ) I Have ridden a few bikes over time.

I was difficult to read when magazine testers ridiculed the VFR1200 as not being a Moto-GP bike, when it was presented I looked at it more like my old 1200 Sabre. 1200cc, V-Four, Six speeds, shaft drive.

In that context, it is a welcome ride. The fuel tank shape reminds me of my old CX-500Tc, which I still own, as does the rumbling torq of the engine.

I will admit, be careful for what you ask for, in motorcycles, its difficult to have just one bike that does everything, all the time.

I don't tour to far away places, don't have the bags and box for it. (it is available, and the cost of the bags alone keep me from getting them )

I cant say this has helped with answering the original question, but I don't have buyers remorse. I do like the VFR1200 DCT.

I am thinking about starting a new thread, about how those that bought the DCT actually use the drive modes.

Suzukijo, now I remember you (from the Suzuki forums). I too had the 07 Bandit 1250. It was a great bike. No complaints whatsoever. However, I got the new bike itch and traded it for the 2010 DCT. I love it as well; even more so. The DCT is an excellent bike for me and it ticks all my boxes. I can't think of another bike I'd like to have right now and plan to keep it a long time. I currently have 16K mile on it and I'm wrestling with the high quoted cost for the 16K interval maintenance service (6 hours labor X $130.00 per hour plus parts, if needed). Also, very few people are familiar with the bike here in North Florida, including the Honda trained techs. Other than that, I love this DCT. I have the Heli bars, lowered foot pegs, OEM side panniers, center stand, wind deflector, Sargent seat and DAM exhaust (thanks to BrianF recommendation).

I see, its a small world. I only have 7k on my DCT now. The GSF was a good bike, I was sad when I totaled it, by hitting the deer.

It was tuff living with the little VFR800, after having the GSF, it was more like a big bore 600cc.

ouch, for the 16k maintenance.

anbark22 what was your twt name? do I remember you?

How could I regret? 2012 first ride and now 47 k driven (that makes 15 months..long winter here:) ). Not a slitest problem with my bike and every summer 6-8 k tours around the Alps, Dolomites, Pyrenes, Germany, France etc.....me like...

No regrets here with my 2013 1200F. I will say i am a lot more satisfied with the big VFR as I have modified it to suit my needs. The more miles I put on this bike the better I like it.

• Member Contributer

Last year when I bought my 2012, I went in thinking owning two VFRs already, it would have the same (or similar) VFR qualities. I was wrong.

I'm not saying the 7th gen is a bad motorcycle- I get what Honda was trying to do. Honda has typically showcased newer technologies in the VFR sport-touring package. This time around it was a sublime, larger V4 mill, superb braking, and suspension. Yes, it is porky on the scale. I went into my purchase blindly without having test-ridden the 7th gen, purchasing solely based on prior experiences owning VFRs (and rider reviews).

I bought the bike several states away (steep discount off MSRP), and when it was finally delivered and ready to take out on first ride, I wanted to check out the VFR-like qualities. Ergos were all the same, but the motor...whoa! This was the largest displacement motorcycle I've ever owned, and I am by no means an accomplished rider, but the "dial-of-smiles" twist of throttle was so exhilarating.

On my first long ride (200+ mi) I was worried: it was fatiguing for my 155 lbs to manipulate a 550+ lb motorcycle over 200 miles. No, it's not terribly overbearing; it is well-balanced. On longer trips, I just found myself more worn out when compared to my 6th gen. It's been over a year with the 1200, and I have to say, for a moment of "this might be too much bike for me", wound up being that the VFR 1200 is the affordable BMW K-series that I always wanted to 'graduate' to. I've become accustomed to the extra weight, the 190 rear is way more tire width than I'll need in my turns, but with a 150+ hp motor, it is necessary to put that power to the road.

I've never had an issue w/ fuel tank range/mileage. Ridden sensibly, the 2012 will get you 180+ miles to the tank. Can't say the same about the 2010 (slightly smaller tank). The biggest complaint that I have with the 7th gen is the fact they changed the placement of turn signal/horn buttons compared to models prior. So many times I have hit the horn button instead of cancelling the turn signals!

Seeing the 8th gen now on the sales floor, the 7th gen must've been a curveball for the sport(sport)-touring market. I could only imagine Honda execs saying "the VFR 1200 is selling like garbage". Seeing the 8th gen come about with a step backward to the VTEC mill and back-stepping things like throttle-by-wire and linked braking makes me think that the 8th gen was a salvage campaign to resurrect sales. Not dissing the 8th gen- it's a refinement, but it just did not bring a lot of ground-breaking technology from the Honda warchest.

Nonetheless, VFRs are trusty bikes, and I will say that each generation has something special to bring to the table. For me, the 1200 has a superb powertrain and brakes at the expense of weight, though well-balanced. So, what I originally thought as buyer's remorse, has turned towards a fondness to appreciate what technology/quality the VFR 1200 brings to the table. Too bad they could not keep it on the sales floor.

I find the DCT version a great Motorcycle, it allows you to really do what ever you want to do and do it well. While I hear concerns people supposedly have with the weight of the Bike. I have always liked heavier bikes for touring they simply feel better on the highway when you are passing or being passed by a transport or hitting a serious crosswind. The problem with the VFR is that it should be sold as what it is one of the best 1 person sport tourers built. When I want to scare myself I run the 600, that I split on with my brother on weekends at the track. I like being able to just slide the DCT into "D" in the City or on rainy days and putt, I find the sport or manual lets you get as foolish as you need to on the highway.

I really don't understand what others are trying to compare this Honda to, my brother has a great Bike with the Kawasaki 1400 but it doesn't do anything better than my VFR 1200 except for (laying patches and wheelies) all things I'm too old for anymore.(but I tell him older smarter, wisdom thingy)

I realise that Honda should of sold it loaded, they milk you, when you have to buy the extra's, so does everyone else. For those that this Bike doesn't meet your needs, by all means buy the Suzy or Kawi or what ever turns your crank, but it really isn't, in the VFR's league, sorry but true.

The 1200 especially the DCT is as far as I am concerned one of biking best kept secrets, it does everything very well, not perfect, but which bike does, as for those that say this bike doesn't make them smile , doesn't make them happy, then go buy that smile maker, it must be a gooden, because I have ridden most bikes and I just don't know which one will make you smile if this one won't.

For me this is a Great Bike, it's comfortable (true not without modifications) it's fast, more than enough wompum for quick passes and cruising. Range is realistic 160 to 180 miles, let's face it those of you that are getting lower mileage, everyone knows you aren't touring, you are perhaps pushing it a wee bit? Anyone who can't handle the weight really, that's your problem, you have to be joking or go back to the 250's or 600's you will be happy and for 90 percent of roadwork especially around town and short hauls that's all you really need.

Anyway I'm done, defending or being perceived to be defending, a Bike that needs no defence, the 2012 1200 DCT Honda VFR is without question one of the best bikes ever built. "Thank GOD" others disagree, or I simply wouldn't be able to afford it, and now I am going for a run to the East Coast and yes I might even smile.

• 2 weeks later...

Get your suspension sorted out for your riding and weight. It'll go from porker to wow this is a &)(()*)**() bad-ass motorcycle!

x1000.one cant expect the same machine to be setup for 150 or 250lbs rider. As on any motorcycle, suspension should be at #1, followed by performance.

• Member Contributer

I regret selling my 5th gen a month ago anyway,seen a vfr1200 yesterday and have to say it looks very impressive in the flesh,getting that vfr sickness again,nothing else compares.

Gyice, I'm sorry but tthe VFR is above every other bike in the league. No. Just no. That's why the KAWASAKI Z1000SX consistently outsells everything else in the UK ST market and is by far more competent as an ST.

The VFR is too lardy, handles like a ship unless you get it sorted yourself. Has incredibly poor fuelling, poor gearboxes (a direct quote from Doble head mech) a riding position that is far more sporty than toury, overpriced in the extreme, a tank range that isn't what is should be. Rear shock preload adjusters that continuously lock up. The list goes on....

I have one, but be realistic, it is nowhere near as good as it could have been. If I could go back I would have got another Kawasaki after my last one was pinched.

• Member Contributer

What Gyice said, especially for the 2012 on, and especially at the deals that can be had currently. I was looking at buying a beemer tourer, but found the 2013 dct and could not resist at the price available ...

Nope. I do not regret it. I"ve had four wonderful years with my big VFR. However, my bad shoulders and her heft have left me worried about dropping her at a rock strewn stop sign or in the garage. So, I found another bike in a different class. After owning 4 VFR's over the last 12 years, I bought a 2012 KTM 990 SMT (new, leftover). It's cool. I hate to sell my favorite bike ever, but the for sale sign is on her. If my shoulders hadn't changed, I would still be rocking my big VFR. Great bike. I doubt I will ever own another bike like it.

Ride safe all.

Thanks

Mark

Dave really, I am a bad guy to come after regarding Kawasaki I Love Kawasaki and drove them when they were nothing more than a death trap on wheels 500, 750, triples, I have driven over the years basically every make and model including the ZX1400 great bike watch your wrist and invest in a tire company. The Kawi 1000sx is a good Bike and I think we all know it falls somewhere between the VFR 800 and the 1200, that being said as per early post if it turns your crank jump on board but dont try and tell anyone its a better bike simply because it isn't.

There still is no replacement for displacement and it last time I checked doesnt come as a DCT.

We know why we all aren't driving DCTs is pure Biker Balls and EGO and hey we wouldn't be bikers without them, heck it seems to be a national sport over here, to smear bikers, off your grill, but for us graying individuals shrink the balls just a wee bit, get the DCT and enjoy riding until the good lord stops you.

Take Care

If I may join the discussion.

I'm very lucky to have both VFR1200 ('10) and Ninja 1000 ('11) parked in my garage.

Ninja is a good, but not a great bike. Fit and finish are nowhere near Honda's, plus we're taking chain vs. shaft. Riding position is much more comfortable on VFR, but it's a personal preference. I used to own '07 Z1000. Both Z1000 and Ninja are just not comfortable.

As for the tank range. I have been tracking my wife's Ninja and my VFR since the day we got them.

VFR gets just over 41 mpg, range 202 miles. Ninja just over 42, range 211.

These stats are per acar app.

Funny that the press basically said that VFR was s dog, but Ninja 1000 got Motorcycle of the Year award.

VFR is an excellent bike, and I love mine.

Ninja 1000 sells good simply because it does not have competition.

If Yamaha put full, slightly bigger, fairing on FZ-1, and proprietary saddle bags, not those very heavy FJR bags, they could outsell Kawi without a problem.

• 1 year later...

Agreed. ...and certainly, if you're looking to wring her out, you will have to shift, that's going to happen on anything short of a farm tractor (Harley). My point was, for in-town riding, and even for most twisty roads, you aren't going to be doing a hell of a lot of shifting with this kind of power and torque; the engine characteristics may be similar (when overlaid) but the delivery is worlds apart.

...like a previous poster said, "the benefit of displacement".

Anyhow, I stand by my statement, beyond the 1st $ 2nd gear neutering (which is easily fixed) there's nothing surprising about the VFR's performance, and certainly nothing about it that I, personally, regret.

If someone had set unrealistic expectations about what a heavy, yet superbly balanced sport-touring bike, would be capable of, it's kinda' on them.

And as I mentioned, the OP is a big guy who likes to drag knee a LOT, and he is comparing it directly to a GSXR750. This bike is simply not the right one for him, and I can see where that is disappointing; you would expect a big bike like the VFR1200, to accommodate a big guy better than it does. But for my frame (6', 225#) it's perfect! :)

I love motorcycles. All kinds of motorcycles and each and every one of them has something that all riders will find to love & hate on them. Unrealistic expectations about what they are or how they perform is truly the buyers fault. I don't expect my ZX14 to go into a curve and come out of it in anything but a ditch if I am trying to keep up with some competent kid that's a hundred pounds lighter than me on a 1,000cc class burner. :rolleyes:

I picked your post to comment on for two reasons.

First. We are about the same size and I was wondering how, since I may be looking into buying a VFR1200 in a year or so, the ergos were for someone my size. Good to hear that it is comfortable to you. Makes me want to step up my time frame on getting one of these. Frankly I am getting a bit too old and long in the tooth for the ZX14. Damn thing scares the hell out of me every time I get on it since I am too damn dumb to not hammer the throttle every chance I get and ever since I have had a 750 Magna so many years ago I have wanted to go back to the v4 but on a sportier platform.

Second. Not all "Farm Tractors" are quite built the same. I have one that most people don't even know exist. Hell, Harley probably wishes they hadn't built it. It is their red headed stepchild and if you were to try to follow one on something like US 129 or the California equivalent you may want to make sure your Obamacare is up to date & paid for. :cool: Admittedly mine is far from stock but even bone stock it is so much fun in the twisties that the ZX14 hasn't been on the road in 2 years other than a few blow out the cobweb outlaw runs.

XR1200_01_zpsa2hq1fwn.jpg?t=1448532867

So watch out talking about the farm tractors. Some of them are not quite "Mankind's most efficient means of turning fuel into noise" that you were led to believe. :beer:

Now, don't think these words have EVER crossed my lips.....but...........that is one BEAUTIFUL Harley....have a bud that has a street rod and love to watch sportbikers get pissy after being stuffed by a harley...oh and he's 62

Archived