Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

BrianF,

I'm sorry to hear the bike really doesn't check all your boxes. But, you know what's best for you. However, it was at your (excellent) recommendation that I purchased the DAM exhaust and I love it as well as my DCT. I hope you find the bike that stirs your soul. You have provided great insight and info on this forum and we'll be saddened to see you go (whenever you decide on the new bike).

Thanks again,

Glad you like the DAM, I think I've said enough about how much I like mine. Don't worry, the sale of my 1200 isn't imminent, in fact, it's the opposite. It is still my weapon of choice for long distance sport riding, and will probably remain such for many years. Mostly because I can only sell it for a fraction of what I paid. However, I hope I don't convey that I hate the bike; I don't. I just don't love it. I've put 16,000 miles on it in 11 months. I think that's all you need to know. Of course, I'm shopping for another 6th gen and a Supersport and a real dirtbike and...nevermind. Maybe that's all you need to know.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a ton of time and money on my 6th Gen to turn it into an exciting bike. I love it now, but in retrospect I probably should have just bought a Multistrada or a ST4s.

So many motorcycles, so little time . . .

I done bought 9 bikes since I got back to riding 2 yrs ago. I love the thrill of the hunt, and that next bike always looks like the dream machine that will be the perfect addition to my stable before I bought it. Then after I get to ride it extensively, I find out a few things about it in addition to what I already knew. Sometimes it's a good find, often though it's some little quirks. It could also just be a general character thing that is hard to quantify. Whatever the reason, if it isn't meant to be, it is what it is. No sense crying over spilled milk. I either do something about (fix, farkle, mod, etc.) Or just sell it and move on to the next dream machine.

I think the key is NOT to shell out beaucoup bucks for a bike. Wnen I get a good deal buying, I can usually sell it at a good deal and not lose much.

I done bought 9 bikes since I got back to riding 2 yrs ago. I love the thrill of the hunt, and that next bike always looks like the dream machine that will be the perfect addition to my stable before I bought it. Then after I get to ride it extensively, I find out a few things about it in addition to what I already knew. Sometimes it's a good find, often though it's some little quirks. It could also just be a general character thing that is hard to quantify. Whatever the reason, if it isn't meant to be, it is what it is. No sense crying over spilled milk. I either do something about (fix, farkle, mod, etc.) Or just sell it and move on to the next dream machine.

I think the key is NOT to shell out beaucoup bucks for a bike. Wnen I get a good deal buying, I can usually sell it at a good deal and not lose much.

That's a lot of bikes in 2 years! I am jealous.

That's a lot of bikes in 2 years! I am jealous.

Have you met scooter, he trades about every 3 months>G I guess better than trading up girlfriends that quick

:+1:

Big time. Well said.

Just want to agree. In fact, I like to buy used bikes with rashed plastics. Great bargains. If you want to keep the bike a long time, then maybe you get the plastics filled, sanded and painted. Probably not, though. Who cares?

Well, I do happen to love mine, no regrets at all. I've met the OP several times, and I certainly understand his frustration. For the record, he's a "big dude", probably 6'3", 240 lbs (guesstimate) and a faster-than-most type of rider who also runs with a very sporty crowd.

I think his size is as much a contributor to his discomfort as the bike itself, and the crowd he rides with as much a contributor to his dislike for the size/weight issues. It's hard to be content with a big heavy bike when you always ride with guys tearing it up on R1s and Gixxers, etc..

...but then there's always the X factor. Everybody is a little different, 2 guys the same height/weight could have one with a long torso and short inseam who just plain doesn't fit on the same bike. One of those guys might have a bony ass that is never comfortable on some seats.

Thank God they make a crap-ton of great bikes; there's bound to be one that fits you!

So no, I don't have any buyers remorse, and I'm not justifying a damn thing! I sold my KTM 950 Adventure a few months after bringing the V12 home because I never rode it anymore. And every time I walk in the garage I *do* get that "holy crap, that's mine!" feeling.

I just posted a video of some local roads from Saturday, shot from my VFR ...all seriously tight & twisty, and IMHO the bike handles them all just fine; but you do have to take the weight into consideration. You have to plan your corner entry a little earlier than on a lighter sportbike, and you have to be cognizant of the weight loading onto the front tire in some off-camber turns, etc..

But damn it is the perfect bike for me!

• Member Contributer
Right after I paid for my Concours 14A and drove it out of the showroom... I regretted it.

So I can understand your feelings.

Fortunately, I personally feel the VFR1200 is not an attractive bike, so I will never have the urge to buy one.

But I am sure there are many with the same attitude as you.

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?

There must be something which they did not like...

I understand what you are talking about. There's a reason that tonight I can find 2 2010 examples with under 1000 miles within 2 hrs of my house. When my Gixxer 750 was stolen I started looking at bikes. The 6th gen completely drew me in with it's looks immediately. Once I rode it, I was sold and bought the first one I test rode. Absolutely NOTHING about the 1200 speaks to me other than the hp numbers. It can't even be mistaken for a sportbike. I can't get over the snub nose (goldwing) front end, more weight, and most importantly to me, loss of underseat exhaust that covers up the single sided swingarm. As much as I LOVE my 800, if I can't find a good '09 example to buy when the time is right, my next bike won't start with VFR. I actually dread the day when I go bike shopping, honestly, because I'm just afraid I won't find anything I love as much as the 6th gen.

Right after I paid for my Concours 14A and drove it out of the showroom... I regretted it.

So I can understand your feelings.

Fortunately, I personally feel the VFR1200 is not an attractive bike, so I will never have the urge to buy one.

But I am sure there are many with the same attitude as you.

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

If they are such a great bike why are people selling them with such low miles?

There must be something which they did not like...

I understand what you are talking about. There's a reason that tonight I can find 2 2010 examples with under 1000 miles within 2 hrs of my house. When my Gixxer 750 was stolen I started looking at bikes. The 6th gen completely drew me in with it's looks immediately. Once I rode it, I was sold and bought the first one I test rode. Absolutely NOTHING about the 1200 speaks to me other than the hp numbers. It can't even be mistaken for a sportbike. I can't get over the snub nose (goldwing) front end, more weight, and most importantly to me, loss of underseat exhaust that covers up the single sided swingarm. As much as I LOVE my 800, if I can't find a good '09 example to buy when the time is right, my next bike won't start with VFR. I actually dread the day when I go bike shopping, honestly, because I'm just afraid I won't find anything I love as much as the 6th gen.

When I bought my '09 C14, there were an abundance of them with low-miles practically brand new. The '08-09 had a few quirks, so when Kawi came out with the '10 with most - if not all - of the issues addressed, the 08-09 kinda got dissed in the used market. I picked up my C14 for a song and have been very happy with it. IMO, most of early C14's "issues" were minor, but then I can't speak for all owners, some of whom apparently were bothered enough to ditch them. Fundamentally, the C14 is a great ST and Kawi sold the bejesus out of them, even in the Great Recession.

Same thing goes for the VFR1200. The '10 had some teething pains and that soured the bike for a lot of people. Plus Honda botched the marketing of it. It may be called VFR, but it wasn't designed to appeal to the VFR traditionalists. If anything, it is more a Blackbird replacement.

We are all free to buy what we like, and sell what we no longer like. No justification necessary. OP asked if any of us regret buying our VFR, and we responded. No need to get too Freudian about it. :cool:

I never owned an older VFR so I cannot compare to that. I wanted a sporty tourer that I can ride with two up and that is exactly what I got; a beautiful bike with lots a of power, stable on high speed and very agile on twisty roads. You cannot compare it to anything else than BMW1300S. I test drove the BMW and found it too stiff on low speeds (very good on high speeds, though).

If somebody finds a better bike for me please tell. Too difficult task for me :happy: .

So no I don't regret buying.

I think his size is as much a contributor to his discomfort as the bike itself, and the crowd he rides with as much a contributor to his dislike for the size/weight issues. It's hard to be content with a big heavy bike when you always ride with guys tearing it up on R1s and Gixxers, etc..

Well the VFR is powered like a R6 not a R1 (mass/weight ratio). Maybe that's a problem too, especially if one missthinks having to shift less because of the bigger engine.

I am 60, 76 kg, 1.75 meters. I bought my VFR in May 2011 and it seems like yesterday. It is with 13k miles. My only regret is not having purchased more accessories in America. Someone has used "cruiser" for sale? LOL ... happy new year, guys!

After doing all the mods that make shamu as good as it can be for me and 8000 miles later I'm stuck with a bike that I can't get rid of. Well not for a decent return anyway.The worst thing is my GSXR 1000(with standard handlebar setup) is more comfortable on long rides than my VFR and a helluva lot more fun.

Anyone else feeling buyers remorse?

RWR,

I thank you for posting this. After reading all the praise for the VFR1200 I was beginning to think I was the only one regretting my decision to purchase.

Well the VFR is powered like a R6 not a R1 (mass/weight ratio). Maybe that's a problem too, especially if one missthinks having to shift less because of the bigger engine.

Power to weight that may be true, the heavier VFR has an additional 43 (ish) hp at the rear wheel, but it has more than twice the amount of torque; I doubt torque to weight ratio between them is even close. ...so you really shouldn't have to row the gears as often as an R6.

Dunno why anybody would buy a 1200cc shaft drive sport tourer and expect it to dance like a 600 SS. That would the rider's fault for having unrealistic expectations.

I like my 600 gixxer as a track bike, where the quick turn-in, agile handling, and extended RPM range work great. Still, I would never want to ride it on the street. Next to no low end torque and just riding to the corner gas station sounds like I'm ripping and roaring at 90mph. Some might like that, but for me it's no fun at all.

Even litre SS are a different class of animal. I've had an '08 ZX10R and an '08 RSV1000R Factory, both great bikes in their own right. The ape, with the torquey V-twin, is the better street bike, but it has nowhere near the long-haul comfort of sport tourers like the VFR. I probably could've tweaked the RSVR's ergos into more like a Tuono, but I'd rather just get the right tool for the right job to begin with.

Why buy an SUV, then complain it doesn't handle like a Mini Cooper?

Power to weight that may be true, the heavier VFR has an additional 43 (ish) hp at the rear wheel, but it has more than twice the amount of torque; I doubt torque to weight ratio between them is even close. ...so you really shouldn't have to row the gears as often as an R6.

Torque/weight ratio or engine displacement are not that important to how often you have to shift. It's mainly the engine characteristics. See, with an engine designed for cruising with the peak torque at low rpm it doesn't matter that much in what gear you are, because when you shift down the torque goes down, so whatever you do you won't get decent acceleration.

But our engine is a somewhat sporty one. I overlayed the acceleration charts of the VFR and the CBR 600 RR, based on torque/weight and gear ratio, and while it's always higher for the VFR mainly due to shorter gear ranges, it's not that high to maintain 2nd gear, especially with the 1st&2nd gear restrictions in place, and most important it shows a very similar characteristic to the sports bike - low low rpm torque, high high rpm torque.

That was one of the reasons for me to buy the VFR, it has the punch where it's needed, as a (comfortable but) sporty bike should - but you have to shift to use that punch, as it is with every sporty bike no matter of engine displacement. It's a common mistake to think large displacement bikes should have high torque in the low rpm range but it's really a matter of characteristics, not size. That often leads to confusion and sometimes to regrets because one didn't get what he wrongly expected.

• Member Contributer

How anyone can compare a GSXR 1000 with a VFR1200, has me beat, they are two totally different motorcycles, all i can say is for anyone to slag of a VFR1200, they obviously bought the wrong type of motorcycle in the first place.

My main snivel is , like a dummy I had to have one when they first came out. So I paid full price.

All bikes are a compromise in one way or another. For the type of riding I do, this bike is a great compromise.

Its a keeper for me!

Torque/weight ratio or engine displacement are not that important to how often you have to shift. It's mainly the engine characteristics. See, with an engine designed for cruising with the peak torque at low rpm it doesn't matter that much in what gear you are, because when you shift down the torque goes down, so whatever you do you won't get decent acceleration.

But our engine is a somewhat sporty one. I overlayed the acceleration charts of the VFR and the CBR 600 RR, based on torque/weight and gear ratio, and while it's always higher for the VFR mainly due to shorter gear ranges, it's not that high to maintain 2nd gear, especially with the 1st&2nd gear restrictions in place, and most important it shows a very similar characteristic to the sports bike - low low rpm torque, high high rpm torque.

That was one of the reasons for me to buy the VFR, it has the punch where it's needed, as a (comfortable but) sporty bike should - but you have to shift to use that punch, as it is with every sporty bike no matter of engine displacement. It's a common mistake to think large displacement bikes should have high torque in the low rpm range but it's really a matter of characteristics, not size. That often leads to confusion and sometimes to regrets because one didn't get what he wrongly expected.

I agree with your premise in general. Comparing acceleration charts, though, isn't necessarily the best way to differentiate bikes like the VFR1200 to smaller displacement sportbikes.

First off, the accel charts are typically done at the top RPM range, often banging against redline. I doubt too many VFR1200 riders do that on a regular basis.

Secondly, the reason that most sport touring riders buy an open-class machine like the VFR1200 is not to shift less on acceleration from a stand still to high speed. It is so that they can:

1. Cruise hwy at top gear at lower RPM, even when loaded (2up, with gear, etc.)

2. Roll-on accelerate (as in passing slower vehicle) with authority from just about any RPM, without downshifting, or at least not having to drop several gears.

3. When the mood hits, still have the strong mid-range and top-end power for spirited riding.

The easy way to get all 3 is with cc's. Only downside, of course, is weight.

The performance envelope for the 1200 is way more than most riders need. I tend to forget how quick they are and how well balanced. I got a good reminder chasing one up the road. Impressive display I must admit. Like most I find the price a bit much for what ya get but otherwise I'd be tempted to get one if anything ever happened to my bking. :beer:

@Volfy

Everything fine with that. It's just not how the engine is set up in the VFR. Especially 2.) is a setup the Suzuki Bandit stands exemplary for, not the VFR. The VFR engine setup is for

. I'd say it's designed for sportbike riders who got a bit older and more comfortable over time but still love the thrill, while someone expecting what you describe might be disappointed.

Oh and when I say acceleration chart I don't mean acceleration numbers, but something like the following. (Pale is the CBR600RR, strong the VFR1200 with the restriction in effect in 1st&2nd and the peak at ~40km/h 1st gear and ~60km/h 2nd gear shows where it would go without the restriction. Second picture is the comparison to the Bandit 1250 to show the setup difference I'm referring to.)

post-24261-0-09440100-1358498956.jpg

post-24261-0-84679500-1358499225.jpg

Hmm, maybe we looked at different VFRs then. lol No, I thought you were perhaps crazy, so I dug up some dynos, though I can't find a dyno for a 2012 R6, but here's one for a '10, and I'm guessing they aren't dramatically different:

146_1008_09_z+2010_yamaha_YZF-R6_vs_kawa

And here's the dyno from my bike on the Bazzaz dyno:

VFR1200%20stock%20vs%20map.jpg

Pretty linear torque buildup, and lacking the hump and falloff of the R6. ...I admit I forget, because I have the Z-Bomb, just how neutered the bike was from the factory. ...still, by 4000 rpm, my bike is making 10 lb.ft. of torque more the R6 does at peak. 55 lb.ft. of torque may not be a ton, but it's plenty to hustle you around town without having to row the shifter. ...that said, I generally "cruise" around 5k rpm (about 65 lb.ft.) and rarely have to shift in either direction to get up and out of the way; a vastly different experience from a smaller inline 4 like the R6.

If you are out playing, and hover up in the real powerband, say around 7000 rpm, you really don't need to shift very often. On the tight twisty roads around here I can generally run the entire mountain in 2nd and 3rd gears (maybe dipping up into 4th for some of the straighter sections).

I agree, expectations can ruin an experience, but the VFR isn't exactly a newbie bike, and I would think most VFR buyers would have (should have) realistic expectations of what they're getting into.

...but Honda *did* neuter this bike from the factory; I did have buyers remorse before I un-screwed it with the Bazzaz gear. The good news, is that it's an easy fix.

Just my $.02

Archived